Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Vettel's mood for 2014 was determined by one of the first tests in the hybrid era and he called the cars/regulations $### which did not go down well with Bernie. After beating Webber to a pulp in 2013 he did not expect the tables to be do dramatically turned on him. He never lead a lap that whole season. He probably decided that it was maybe time to leave Red Bull

Strange how Horner says Verstappen is the greatest driver they ever had given Vettel holds the records as the most successful driver and they were praising Ricciardo initially as well before
It's childrens' logic...

Webber beat Coulthard, so Webber's better than Coulthard
Vettel beat Webber, so Vettel's better than Webber and Coulthard
Ricciardo beat Vettel, so Ricciardo's better than Vettel, Webber and Coulthard
Verstappen (kind of) beat Ricciardo, so Verstappen's better than Ricciardo, Vettel, Webber and Coulthard...

But wait, in 2016, Ricciardo was really the better driver at Red Bull, and Norris was better than Ricciardo at McLaren, and Sainz beat Norris at McLaren, but Verstappen beat Sainz at Toro Rosso, so Verstappen>Sainz>Norris>Ricciardo>Verstappen...

So, Verstappen must be the best driver in F1, as he's better than himself!

At commentary or driving? Because yes to both. Mark Webber is close buds with Flav and Lance Armstrong so he might be worse. Then again Coulthard is good friends with Saudi royals.

Oh and by the way - Daniel Ricciardo was beaten over the course of a season by his team mate Narain Karthikeyan. Which makes Karthikeyan the GOAT

No news from Alpine yet but interesting thing is if Alpine wins the CRB appeal. Then Mclaren would surely need to field Ricciardo unless Piastri doesn't want to drive for Alpine even though he is obliged to

The moment when Daniel Ricciardo lost his drive for 2023 at McLaren.
F1979541-69AF-467C-A801-DC1B745A3784.jpeg

Well interesting to see then if the CRB does favour Mclaren because its a matter of what compensation Alpine get. If so make Mclaren pay for Ricciardo's wages as well if he does join Alpine.
Mclaren think that whichever team Ricciardo joins they only need to pay the net difference between his pay off clause and his new salary which they hope will about $10m instead of $21m

im reading that this could be a way of evaluating if Riccardo is finished or can salvage his reputation for 2024.

but either way it is not good look for tsunoda, he must be seriously worried. because, your not going to dump Riccardio after 3 months, so he has 2024 contract almost certainly. but now why would you spend tens of millions funding liam lawson if your not give him the opportunity when theres an opening. so if perez stays, someone has to go. process of elimation says tsunoda

Last edited:
im reading that this could be a way of evaluating if Riccardo is finished or can salvage his reputation for 2024.

but either way it is not good look for tsunoda, he must be seriously worried. because, your not going to dump Riccardio after 3 months, so he has 2024 contract almost certainly. but now why would you spend tens of millions funding liam lawson if your not give him the opportunity when theres an opening. so if perez stays, someone has to go. process of elimation says tsunoda
Personally, I'm seeing this as a way of:
1. Evaluating Tsunoda
2. Evaluating Ricciardo, to potentially replace Perez.

Ricciardo has two races to see if he's the real deal again, and Perez has two races to save his Red Bull career - if Ricciardo performs well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Red Bull after the summer break.

Stolen from twitter:

Daniel Ricciardo replaces Nick de Vries, who replaced Pierre Gasly, who replaced Alex Albon, who replaced Brendan Hartley, who replaced Carlos Sainz, who replaced Daniil Kvyat, who replaced Daniel Ricciardo.

It's the Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso circle of life.

Personally, I'm seeing this as a way of:
1. Evaluating Tsunoda
2. Evaluating Ricciardo, to potentially replace Perez.

Ricciardo has two races to see if he's the real deal again, and Perez has two races to save his Red Bull career - if Ricciardo performs well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Red Bull after the summer break.
Tsunoda won't go because he is there to please Honda. Lawson will have to be reserve driver if he ain't Alpha Tauri. Perez if he does not finish 2nd is gone

You have to admire how Red Bull treat their drivers. They really help to fill them with confidence, develop and nurture their talents.
they certainly very short memories. & its a different no blame culture at Red bull as we seen in the last 2 years. very similar to tories where even when caught red handed. they believe theyve done nothing wrong

even to the point when they are blaming Lewis for albon failure at red bull. i feel for liam lawson abit as not great vote of confidence that your the next 1 & he's now been overlooked twice
which shows with Marko behaviour with De vries makes his comments about Hamilton ruining Albon career absoultely laughable. the unawareness is ridiclous. nothing to do with the fact you stuck a guy in with 6 months experience v the best driver of this generation of drivers. then gave him no support or time

I'd be happy the day Red Bull are no longer in F1 as a team as apparently the current boss does not get on with Marko or has a different way to handle things.

And let's hope Horner is out of a job and doesn't get one on the the FIA.

Since Abu Dhabi 21 they have really antagonised everyone

As for Ricciardo I will be glad we see the 2014 version and show Verstappen what an overrated driver he is but I don't think we will because they will remind him his career would be finished if it wasn't for them.

If he does land a drive at Red Bull then they have broken a tradition that they don't give former drivers a 2nd go

am i right i thinking that after 2022 british gp. Riccardo was told we've signed piastri & now after 2023 british gp. he's on the other side of the fence its de vries been told weve signed Riccardo

am i right i thinking that after 2022 british gp. Riccardo was told we've signed piastri & now after 2023 british gp. he's on the other side of the fence its de vries been told weve signed Riccardo
Alonso left Alpine after Hungary last year and the Piastri to Mclaren sage started then. Ricciardo apparently had his contract terminated in Aug

Rumours that Red Bull approached Alex Albon when they decided to ditch De Vries but he turned them down. That must make Danny Ric feel good.

Back
Top Bottom