Cycling

Some advice from all you MAMILs - I'm thinking of buying a new bike and wondering if these hybrid/cyclocross bikes are any good. I have had a mountain bike but they aren't great on the road and I wouldn't take a road bike off road (well, durr). As these bad at both or better at one than the other?

How much do you want to spend FB?
A cyclocross bike is better as a road bike than as a mountain bike so if you just want to use it on trails and country paths as well as the road rather than full on mountain biking it's your best bet.
There'll be enough opinions here if you give us a price range and expectations of performance.

No serious off road stuff, hence why I thought a cyclocross bike might be better. My budget? Somewhere between £500 and £800 I would expect.

So I managed to acquire a bike and as part of my new fitness regime went out for a 15k ride today after a 5k run yesterday. I'm not going to break any records but I made it all the way round at just over 20 kph having done the 5k run in a little over 30 minutes yesterday. The ultimate ambition is to do a triathlon but I need to do some serious training to get fit enough after so many years of lazing about.

Bloody good effort, keep it up, as soon as you fall in love with it you'll never look back.
Except at the people you overtake!

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...rongdoing-in-anti-doping-investigation-384750

mustve been listening to me, I was only saying yesterday after the story of aso blocking him from taking part in tour de france at how ridiculous it been than 9months since vuelta & yet we are in the dark over Chris Froome. should've been all over before the giro d'italia. but I'm happy froome has been cleared, because I wanted to believe his innocence, the doubts grew in the dark over the months espically with cycling past. but glad its been proven as well & feat of holding all 3 grand tours is legal

Shouldn't Lot 553 have a "Brooks" saddle? "War and Peace" could be uncomfortable.

My father had an old bike with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears. I became quite good at repairing both the 3 and 4 gears, they weren't totally reliable.

I'm quite interested in the beaten up looking BSA bike. I'm interested in BSA as a brand and am on the lookout for odd little curios away from their main, well known Motorbikes output.

I know Raleigh purchased the BSA Bicycles division around 1957 so the two on sale, while not a true BSA bike are BSA branded.

Looks like pretty good value if you don't expect high performance. Good enough quality brands for the components, basic spec. Probably not very light weight.
For what you need, and if you don't have expectations that it'll stand a lot of extreme riding you'll be fine.

Can't comment on the price on too much detail because I don't know the depth of your pockets.

Looks like pretty good value if you don't expect high performance. Good enough quality brands for the components, basic spec. Probably not very light weight.
For what you need, and if you don't have expectations that it'll stand a lot of extreme riding you'll be fine.

Can't comment on the price on too much detail because I don't know the depth of your pockets.

Thank you gethinceri! :thumbsup:

I really just want to replace my old one that is the most basic type of cycle you could get from Canadian Tire. I'm not a competitive rider and most often than not will be riding with the family. Also my pockets are not very deep but this bike I can afford.

Back
Top Bottom