CTA's F1 Popularity Working Group

I think that the drivers making more of an effort to mingle with the fans rather than dashing for their private jets immediately after a race would be a big help.

I cannot imagine being a real fan of someone I never met. I met virtually all of my heroes in the 60s and 70s, and quite frequently more than once. That made them real people to me, rather than just a helmeted figure in a race car.

It is a shame that its so 'us and them' but how you go about opening it up again is anyones guess.

I know it got so bad that even Bernie had to shuffle the transporters up in the paddock so that the great and the good of the paddock club got to see a glimpse of a driver dashing from the back of their garage, a hundred yards up the road to take a dump in the cool surroundings of their "mobile defication peace thought development sphere's" *previously known as the mobile home's crapper.

It doesn't seem to be a problem at Goodwood with the fans viewing area at the top of the hill. Some drivers are more than happy to pop across for a signature or two. That said, I think the whole culture of "fandom" has changed.

It's finally come to me, though I expect someone else has posted it pages ago and I missed it. The powers that be need to stop paying out money for constructors points but pay for drivers points. Think about how that would change things! No longer would teams not give a fig about where their drivers finish. If they want points, they need the best drivers. Good drivers would be more valued. Piss poor pay drivers may find it harder to get a ride.

They could still award a constructors cup but it wouldn't attract any cash directly. You could still do the FOM travel costs thing for the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom