Classic F1 videos

GermanF1

Race Winner
Contributor
I don't really know if we actually have a thread like this, if so, feel free to move this stuff...But I found some amazing stuff on youtube and I thought you like it as well:D

(Monaco 1978 with Austrian commentary)
(Australia 2001 "That's my piece of gravel")
(Germany 1998 Mark Webber talking in the build up! And look at the amazing animation of the track...hahaha!! And they really shouldn't have changed the layout!!)

If you check these out you will find many more. I just typed in "Classic F1 videos" and made it search for the longest videos...
Oh and there are several programs out there, which you can use to download youtube stuff, because I think it is only a matter of time until these are removed by Bernie and Jean...

I just found the entire 1984 Belgian Grand Prix on Youtube. I don't know if it was a good race but I figure someone might be interested :D. With commentary from Murray Walker and James Hunt!

EDIT: I just noticed the uploader has a lot of old races on his channel, both highlights and full races!

Brilliantly quaint (why don't presenters speak like that anymore? :D) highlight package of the 1962 French GP at Rouen, which remains Porsche's sole GP win as a constructor:

Plus a short clip of the 1933 Monaco GP:

If you are interested in pre-war and post war classic F1 videos take a look at this site and search away. There is film of the 1913 French GP and then stuff all the way up to the 70's I also found a rather lovely interview with Ken Tyrrell from 1971.

Enjoy.

http://www.britishpathe.com/

I posted this in the Italian PQR thread but I suspect it's got a bit lost with everything else going. Here's Montoya's pole lap in 2004 versus Lewis' pole lap this year.

This video was brought to my attention by a friend and thought it interesting :) A certain Mr Stewart explaining the cockpit controls of one car and then the difference between quali engine, gearbox, tyres and tyres and the race version. The HP difference was interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, those unrestricted turbo engines in 1986 used to get boosted up to their absolute limits during qualifying, pushed up to several hundred hp above their race trim boost levels.

There's probably been a lot of slightly exaggerated figures being bandied around over time regarding their maximum output. 1,450 bhp sounds a bit much and considerably more than the estimates being given at the time. Doug Nye, Autocourse's technical analyst, to whom F1 engineers were probably more willing to disclose data to than most journalists, was speaking of a more conservative 1,170 hp output for the Honda towards the end of 1986.

In reality though all those figures were purely speculative because the technology simply didn't exist at the time to accurately measure the enormous power output off those timy engines, so nobody ever really knew how powerful they were.

This video was brought to my attention by a friend and thought it interesting :) A certain Mr Stewart explaining the cockpit controls of one car and then the difference between quali engine, gearbox, tyres and tyres and the race version. The HP difference was interesting.

The beautiful Benetton B186. It must have been like driving around with a large firework up your jacksy not knowing exactly when it's going to go off. All F1 cars should be like that. You could be leading by a mile, with the knowledge and confidence sapping uncertainty that there is a better than 50% chance of it imploding or self immolating. What a magnificent beast.

incubus....The 1933 Monaco GP although short, but was really good stuff. Bernie surely couldn't have bitched about those cars being too quiet. Great shots of those cars cresting a hill, while flying through the tunnel, and chicane.

That would have been a definite red flag nowadays. It is amazing how quickly the marshals managed to get a clear enough track for the race to continue. I suppose that they have had lots of experience.:)

Back
Top Bottom