Button <--- Perez ---> Kobayashi

Perez does seem to be involved in his fair share of bumps and scrapes. More than Kobi I'd say yet its the latter who has the rep for it.

More than Kobi I'd say yet its the latter who has the rep for it.

Kamui only has a reputation for crashing because he overtakes outside the DRS zone, and isn't afraid. From memory, he's only been involved in an accident twice - Belgium '11 where he crashed with Hamilton, and Canada '10, where he crashed into the Wall of Champions.

Any others I've missed?

Checo seems to crash a lot more, and is therefore much less consistent with his points finishes.

The only other ones I can think of Brazil 09 and Australia 2010, I think a lot of his reputation stems from Brazil and Abu Dhabi that year, and the way he came on to the scene, it can sometimes take a while to shake a first impression.

Kamui only has a reputation for crashing because he overtakes outside the DRS zone, and isn't afraid. From memory, he's only been involved in an accident twice - Belgium '11 where he crashed with Hamilton, and Canada '10, where he crashed into the Wall of Champions.

Any others I've missed?

Checo seems to crash a lot more, and is therefore much less consistent with his points finishes.
He crashed in Singapore during 2010.

Which, like his crash at Canada in the same year, was the first time he'd been to either track. Important to point out that many other incidents he's "been involved in" weren't his fault. Genuinely. His crash with Hami in Belgium clearly was not his fault (as Lewis later admitted), neither was it his fault when Schumacher piled into him at Silverstone in the same year. Same with China '10, on the opening lap, a spinning Liuzzi took 2-3 cars out including Koba. And to call the Australian 2010 race his fault is unfair, Sauber had major front wing problems (two came off in the practice before the race) and it came off going into turn 5. The only two incidents I can really remember where Koba has taken someone else out were 2009 in Brazil, his first race, when he moved over a little late on Nakajima, and in Singapore when he and Schumacher came together.

I've long held a belief, rightly or wrongly, that Koba gets an unfair rap based, it seems, on his place of birth. Japanese drivers have in recent memory had a reputation as being 'wild' or 'crashy'. Nakajima did make a lot of mistakes and crashed a few times, and unfortunately, that has stuck with Koba, I think. When you look at his list of DNFs, most of them for Kamui have been mechanical faults, not his driving. It always irks me when people say he was poor in the beginning of 2010 - well, the car didn't hold up for several races, and when it did, he was consistently in the points.

Which is not to say that Perez is much of a crasher either. He's had a couple of opening lap incidents but nothing too severe.

I think they're both significant talents in this generation of drivers. Out of the two of them, it's easier to imagine Perez will have the better career - he's a couple of years younger, he's easier on camera, has a lot of money behind him, has the Ferrari link, and is the 'bright young thing'.

As much as I hate to admit it, I find the idea that Koba will find himself in a top seat unlikely, which is a shame because I think he's an absolute joy to watch and a driver whose character really shines through into his driving and his racing.

And, despite his 2nd place at Malaysia, Perez is just now 3 points ahead of Kamui. It's going to be a very interesting season.

The only two incidents I can really remember where Koba has taken someone else out were 2009 in Brazil, his first race, when he moved over a little late on Nakajima, and in Singapore when he and Schumacher came together.

I suppose its a case of "first cut is the deepest". That Nakajima incident was an insane chop, and I suppose the reputation developed from that and Jenson Button's "Kobayashi is crazy" comment at the same race. The solid, excellent racer that Kobayashi has matured into has not been remarked upon, although it is clear from Sunday that he has not lost his knack for finding an unexpected space on the inside has not died either.

Indeed, and that's what we love about him!

I can't remember the exact specifics of that incident other than the ending result of it, but that kind of thing does stick in the mind when someone chooses to ignore the more mature races in his career.

Incidentally, a quick search on YouTube for 'kobayashi, nakajima' for the incident does not, in fact, turn up an F1 related crash fest. It does, however, find you several lengthy videos of two sweaty Japanese men fighting each other in a ring. Metaphorical, perhaps?

I reckon he may well be at Sauber forever even If he beats Perez time and again.

He doesn't have any links, like Perez/Ferrari, Di Resta/Mercedes, Vergne/Red-Bull etc.

It's a bad incident, but ultimately not a violent one or malicious. And has been said, Kamui's never repeated a move like that.

I reckon he may well be at Sauber forever even If he beats Perez time and again.

He doesn't have any links, like Perez/Ferrari, Di Resta/Mercedes, Vergne/Red-Bull etc.
No, that's true. Toyota are lurking in motorsports but unlikely to come back into F1 at any meaningful level. I think he could easily be a contender for their LMP challengers in the years ahead, should Koba find himself out of F1 for any reason (one would hope not).

As for Kobash and his reputation for taking no prisoners, I'm pretty sure that was cemented at Suzuka 2010 when he used a couple different cars to slow himself down as he passed them in the hairpin.

Great watching that video again.

If you see the first one form a different angle you'll see Alguersauri knew he was there and was a little bit naughty and took a swipe. To say Kamui used a bunch of cars to slow himself down in the hairpin makes light of some awesome F1 overtaking

Just watched my own Overtaking Summary and I suppose I got a little carried away with my earlier wording.

It was Alguersuari that he came in contact with on two separate occasions. My humblest apologies to most honorable Kobayashi-san.

Here's all the overtaking from that race. Sorry, no music.

Well Perez has had Kobayashi under control all season.

The other part of this thread was focusing on who was the smoother driver between himself and Button and who could manage the tyres best.

That will become a major point in McLaren next year, so who are your bets on?

Me any you teabagyokel are gonna have to have words buddy!

My predictions have only been a little off. Anyways I'm not sure Perez has Kobi under control just that Kobi's not been able to find any form this year. I think last years Kobi would have been a lot closer. Whether that'll ever come back or not we don't know, sometimes drivers peak. Lets hope he has a good weekend in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom