Button and Perez vs Hamilton and Rosberg

for instance...

Mercedes have had two poles and one win this year. One poll was converted to a win and the other was demoted due to an overhanging penalty. You could easily conclude that Lewis might have had two poles and two wins this year in a Merc, which is the same number of wins as Jenson and one more pole.

And without Hamilton at McLaren, Jenson would have been on pole in Australia and Malaysia.

I agree that there are many ways to look at this, but the only truth is tha we will find out at the end of next season.

For what it is worth, I believe that Button and McLaren will be the top scorers from this combo, largely from continuity, the fact that I expect the Mercedes to be relatively the same as this year speedwise, and Perez I do not think is quite up to Buttons level just yet. I expect Hamilton to outscore Rosberg, but it will be close.

I think the good thing is that both Perez and rosberg will get to be measured against known quantities, to see how they stack up. Perez is early enough in his career to not suffer too much from this, but not sure about Rosberg, who is by many very highly rated. We will have some fun finding out though.

I am not suggesting that we don't have the discussion. It's a very valid discussion in which lots of interesting things will be raised. I am just making a point that we can't simplistically say: McLaren are the better than Mercedes so they will win more races, Jenson is better than Perez so he will win more races. Perhaps we could apply this if we were racing wind-up toys but these are Formula 1 cars run by Formula 1 teams and driven by Formula 1 drivers. There are lots and lots of variables beyond those that would be included in a pack of Top Trumps.

Of course, if we're talking winning races, other teams could develop a winning car which leads to this:

WINS: Vettel 9, Alonso 6, Raikkonen 3, Maldonado 1, Webber 1

I don't think that will happen, but it is possible.

I am not suggesting we do not have the discussion either, simply pointing out that until the results are in, no answer can be right or wrong, which sort of invites the discussion.

And I think, to be honest, we can say whatever we want, (subject to house rules, natch!) but people shoul be prepared to be challenged on the more ridiculous suggestions.

I think on the whole ExtremeNinja that I was actually agreeing with your point though.

Mercedes have qualified in the top 4 at 50% of GPs so far this season with 2 poles (I'm counting Monaco) so at the very least I expect multiple poles from Hamilton next year. My head says the McLaren pairing will do better and Button will win the most races, but with the cars being so close and the better drivers being able to make a small difference I'm gonna go with my gut and say Hamilton to win the most races and Mercedes will score more points.

Okay Perez is fast, is excellent at overtaking and is potential future wdc. He was very impressive in GP2, has put the sauber on the podium and has shown enough potential that makes me think he can out score Button. Which apparently makes me irrational.

Yep and that's why I've bookmarked the first page to check back on my predictions. I don't do FF1 for a good reason!

As I said, no one is right until the end of next season, therefore, no choice is irrational. The only irrational thing is overuse of the word irrational. Now I am being irrational.

As you were everybody, and no more use of the word irrational.

Back
Top Bottom