Books

I've abandoned Midsomer Murders for the moment in favour of "The Co-op's Got Bananas!". Apart from Hunter Davies being Scottish there is a lot which echoes my childhood.

Thx vintly , was planning about buying his second book aswell, but some don't seem so enthusiastic about it
Homo Deus - I found it fascinating. It's pure speculation on where we'll get to over this coming century, albeit with a formidable insight. It's quite damning of the human race, fairly bleak in some ways, probably put a few people off. Not as good as Sapiens but a very worthy read I'd say.

Without doubt Titch! We need a damn good culling if you ask me. Anyway must get on...
That's a very touchy subject and too often avoided in the newspapers when talking of shortages of food and water. A temporary global one child policy should do the job.

Last edited:
Mod Chat.

While I understand the context, perhaps its best we avoid casual references to ethnic cleansing.

Cheers

CaT the Mod

Point taken. I very much had my tongue in cheek....although those who have seen the effects of China's one child policy might think the previous comment just as inflammatory.

Point taken. I very much had my tongue in cheek....although those who have seen the effects of China's one child policy might think the previous comment just as inflammatory.
What effects exactly, the unbalanced sex ratio? That’s mainly a cultural issue and even without a one child policy and a ban on dowries in place many female infants are killed in India and other countries.
Do you have any better ideas on how to reduce the population and make living sustainable in regions of scarce resources?

Clay this is a book thread so I will only be answering once and then letting the topic go back to where it should be.

You're a very black and white sort of guy and I don't think it ever occurs to you that when you reason something is a good idea others might not think so. People do no like to be told what to do on the smallest of issues so dictating to people how many children they are allowed to have would have catastrophic consequences for the human race. There have been brutal wars with millions killed over something as simple as not being able to read a prayer book in your own language so do you real think this would go without so some of kickback? You think it's gone completely unopposed in China?

Now I'm guessing you're thinking that a war with a massive loss of life would achieve the cull you were aiming for anyway. Well wars use and destroy resources faster than anything so that's that idea gone and ya know....whoops someone set off a nuke.

Like most dictators you're probably thinking that if people were educated about it then surely they wouldn't object but I'm afraid however much you try to reason with a population if you take away a basic human right then there will be opposition. Hell the pro-life groups would be setting bombs off on your ass before the week was out.

How would you police it? How are you going to stop people having more than one child and doing it in secret? Watch as health care standards plummit, death during child births sore and a new underclass of people who have to live in poverty under government radar in fear of reprisals is created. Which is exactly what has happened in China.

A policy like this would bring about nothing but misery and has no consideration for the human cost of things and on top of which is completley unnecessary. Books that started this subject all skirt round one simple fact. There are enough resources for the Human race to survive with if they were distributed correctly. More than enough in fact. But a tenth of the world's population use three quarters of the world's resources.

Now I understand why people want to tackle an issue like this but none of the world's problems have ever been solved by a dictator taking away human rights. In my day to day life I work to protect vulnerable people against the horrible things other human beings inflict on them. I'm a great believer at looking at the human costs of things and that the only way for this world to improve is through freedom, co-operative and understanding. You cannot treat people like children and expect a good response.

Feel free to respond to this and say I'm wrong about this that and the other. This is my one and only response.

Clay
You're a very black and white sort of guy [...]

Feel free to respond to this and say I'm wrong about this that and the other. This is my one and only response.

No point in responding, you've already made up your mind.

Edit: I've only been here since July June, but I find it interesting that you always drag discussion down to a personal level and even be warned by the moderator in a few instances. I won't be responding to you any further on any topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom