Poll Big Rims be Bling Blinging

18 inch wheels in F1?

• Total voters
If it means more variety in spoke designs, fine. As far as tyres relevant to the road is concerned I think that's a bit of a red herring. F1 tyres are designed to be useless after a lot less than 200 miles. Even at Le Mans this year some LMP teams were getting two stints out of a set of boots and they've been using low profiles for years. There is something iconic about the good old big fat boots but time does march on and they are anachronistic as well.

I would vote but it would be for a "not bovvered about the boots so long as they don't shred in 15 laps and leave heaps of marbles" option.

In action

screenshot.106.jpg

I was just thinking the same thing about the width, I think the narrow band of rubber would look better on a wider tyre. They look kind of skinny.

Things big rims may affect but I'm only guessing.
  • Quicker pitstops as the wheel/tyre combination will probably be lighter and easier to handle
  • More wheel spin due to less linear flexing of the tyre wall
  • Higher degradation
  • Totally revamped suspension units and whoever gets it right out of the box will have a massive advantage over the rest of the field
  • Less heat from the breaks to warm the tyres and less flexing in the tyre wall will also prevent them from getting to the correct operating temperature this could be an even bigger problem given the ban on tyre warmers
  • Completely different driving styles this may shuffle up the grid depending on who can adapt the quickest
None of what I say is factual only me guessing so maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't see this move as being bling.....

Last edited:
I'm guessing the bias towards a greater reliance on mechanical suspension as opposed to the more variable suspension from rubber tyres (particularly with different compounds, but also a more random element due to differing tyre pressures, tyre construction variability etc.) is going to make engineering suspension a hell of a lot easier.

I haven't seen it mentioned on here but surely rear wheels of 18" in diametre would significantly increase traction? That's something that was understood several decades ago by sports car manufacturers for their top-end range, increased diametre for wheel-rims in relation to total tyre surface equals better handling and less comfort for their "sportier" models. As well as more efficient braking with less tyre deformation.
Would F1 as a spectacle benefit from cars with even better traction an even shorter braking distances? Or have I got this totally wrong? (mind you that's happened before alright)

Back
Top Bottom