Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

I think he is missing a trick, maybe he should market and promote the "Bernie Booster," a designer booster seat with his face on it, and the logo "Sit on my face for safer driving."

He could also offer a deal on boob jobs with each booster seat, with the marketing slogan "make your boobs a huge as my ego".

I think it's all part of undoing what ever Max did. Blimey those two best of buddies must have had some falling out by the end of their working time together.

Never mind, I would say about another 5 more years with old Bernie at the helm before time or tide finally catches up on him and he moves on allowing the wolves to tear the sport apart in a downward spiral of infighting and backstabbing to be the one who comes away with the largest bit of the body.

"I'd rather have ten," Ecclestone said in December. "I never wanted 12.
"It's just that ten is easier to handle, for the promoters, for transport. We'd rather have ten - so long as we don't lose Ferrari."

Hmmm, no mention of it being better for the fans of motorsport though? How strange.

I thought at the beginning of the season he was all for some team buying HRT's assets and joining the grid in 2014, I guess not then...

And with less teams there are less chances for up and coming drivers to showcase what they have....:twisted:

Unless they have huge sponsorship backing to make up for the fact that there is less money to go around.

"and we all go marching round and down the drain........"

F1 is about to be floated on the stock market this year. Bernie is 83 and will get even richer than he is now. What will he do with the money. He's divorced, already paid millions to his ex, and child. What makes this man tick....?
He just want's to accumulate wealth and destroy the sport that made him wealthy.
I just don't get it.

I'm sure if the flotation goes well and makes CVC a few quid, Bernie will be in line for more than a pat on the back and an employee of the month award.

It would all depend on whether Ecclestone were to be part of the package or not. If he were not then he would be surplus to requirements for CVC so a few more pounds in the bank would be little compensation for what he earns gets now.

I have no doubt that Ecclestone has something buried in the contract which will see him cream off a significant amount of money.

This is probably out of date now but it does highlight just how convoluted the whole thing is (was).

f1.png

Back
Top Bottom