Ayrton Senna

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
From what I have read about Senna he was like two different creatures. On one hand incredibly human, just look at the Senna Institute, on the other hand a very callous man who, amongst other things, dumped his first wife as she was getting in the way of his career.

Dash Racing

Points Scorer
I wouldn't call it callous, I'd call it career-driven. Not everyone's objectives in life can be met with the first person they marry.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
His first wife was just the start in a litany of people Senna used and discarded over the years. After his first World Title an interviewer from TV Globo asked him about the people he had trodden on and discarded through his life to get to where he was and Senna burst in to tears.

Dash Racing

Points Scorer
Of course he cried. He was human. Sometimes other people are in the way of your goals, and you have to make a hard decision. Yes, sometimes that choice sucks, and yes, you're going to regret some of those decisions some day, but if you made the decision not to pursue your goal, you'd regret that too, someday. Nobody ever said life would be fair, nor easy, or if they did, they were lying to you.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
I would probably categorise Senna as almost child like in his approach to dealings with others. After Alain Prost accidentally spoke off the record about Ayrton to a journalist friend in 1989, who then published the story, Senna wouldn't call him by his name in interviews and didn't speak to him again until Prost's retirement in 1993, which was at Alain's suggestion anyway.

A very complex and flawed character. Certainly not the saint he has been built up to be since his death, but a ****ing fast racing driver.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I watched the Senna film last weekend as well. When he was alive and racing, I was huge fan, but all we saw at the time was him on track, there didn't seem to be as much of a drivers private life smattered throughout the media. Or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. I knew that he and Prost were sworn enemies, because Prost seemed to spend his life moaning about him. But after that film, I was left feeling that perhaps he wasn't the great guy I had thought him to be.

Top Bottom