Autocourse Top Ten

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Thought I would revisit a discussion I posted last year. Autocourse have a Top 10 drivers in their annual based on "Performance and the car available to them". There is one other proviso's, the driver must have completed the full season (so you can't pick Yamamoto).

So who are your Top 10 based on these criteria? I'm going for:

Hamilton
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Kubica
Webber
Rosberg
Kobayashi
Sutil
Kovalainen

I like your Top Ten FB, not much disagreement here:

Hamilton
Kubica
Alonso
Vettel
Webber
Button
Rosberg
Sutil
Kobayashi
Massa

(NOTE: if I used snowy's criteria - see below - my list would be different)

I have considered one extra variable in making my top ten, and that is "natural talent", more exactly the ability of the driver to exceed not only the limitations of the car but the generally perceived limitations of his own talent. In the case of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Kubica they can only lose places as their talent is recognised as immense by most observers. Webber and Button exceeded my own and other peoples expectations, as did Barrichello and arguably so did Nico Rosberg who blew away a seven time WDC.

Hamilton
Alonso
Webber
Button
Vettel
Rosberg
Kubica
Barrichello
Kobayashi
Petrov

No surprises from the Brits on this site!!! Im getting bored,guys. HAM is on top,he is a GOD,HE NEVER MAKES MISTAKES UNLESS MCLAREN MAKES HIM DO THEM. :D

Soumya said:
No surprises from the Brits on this site!!! Im getting bored,guys. HAM is on top,he is a GOD,HE NEVER MAKES MISTAKES UNLESS MCLAREN MAKES HIM DO THEM. :D

I don't see your top 10 on this list. Perhaps you would like to add it? It's hardly surprising to see Hamilton so high up on people's lists, as he has won a WDC, as has Alonso who also features highly on the lists here (despite being a less than popular driver on this forum).

Soumya said:
You can always try some of the Spanish or German based sites.
Perhaps the responses will be more to your liking?

Soumya said:

It's actually surprising, since most Brits have such a peculiar penchant for shooting down their heros... :thinking:

snowy said:
Soumya said:

It's actually surprising, since most Brits have such a peculiar penchant for shooing down their heros... :thinking:

On other F1 forums throughout the internets I have seen Hamilton's following grow over the last couple seasons, and I firmly believe it is because he hasn't been winning as frequently as in his first two seasons. I would certainly say that he has matured greatly these past two years, 2009 especially, but I think some people find it more satisfying to root for the underdog, which quite frankly, has been the McLaren chassis quite often over the past two years.

As for my Top Ten, I'll go with a bit of a cop out, placing two men on the top line. Lewis was without a doubt the best driver of the year until Belgium. After Belgium, Alonso was on top form, nearly snatching the title from the Red Bull drivers. Together, these two pilots outclassed the field.

1A - Hamilton
1B - Alonso
3 - Vettel
4 - Kubica
5 - Button
6 - Webber
7 - Rosberg
8 - Barrichello
9 - Kobayashi
10 - Sutil

Yes but HAM getting so many DOTW votes in almost every race??? Please remind me why any of you think he was the best driver in GBR??? He even got votes for best driver in Brazil and Korea!!! After cracking up under pressure to Alonso in both races!!! If this isnt a show of BIAS,what is??

For exactly the same reasons Alonso would get lot's of votes in a similar poll on a Spanish website or Vettel on a German one Soumya. You can't help a lack of objectivity when personal feelings come into play I'm afraid.

Not sure I necessarily agree with you're analysis though. Hamilton made a mistake in Korea but whether that was due to pressure from Alonso or not none of us will know. I think Hamilton probably put himself under too much pressure and that's what lead to the problem.

Anyway, the question was to rate drivers according to the Autocourse criteria which, in full, is "taking into account their racing performances and the equipment at their disposal". For me, the Mclaren was not as good as the Ferrari this year hence why I put Hamilton above Alonso. I also placed Alonso above Vettel as the Ferrari was inferior to the Red Bull and he (Alonso) put in some stellar performances to beat a significantly faster car.

Soumya said:
Yes but HAM getting so many DOTW votes in almost every race??? Please remind me why any of you think he was the best driver in GBR??? He even got votes for best driver in Brazil and Korea!!! After cracking up under pressure to Alonso in both races!!! If this isnt a show of BIAS,what is??
So rather than contribute to the discussion, all you do is criticise and berate the members.

Based on your comments you're obviously an Alonso fan and as a typical Alonso fan (see what I did there?) you can't do anything except criticise Hamilton and those who support or praise him in any way.

There's BBC 606 or every single Spanish based website for that sort of crap; it's not wanted here and won't be tolerated.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Adding provisions to polls such as "based on the equipment they were given" always seems to me a bit of a thinly disguised attempt to belittle a result the pollster didn't like, or to "big-up" their favourite.

By definition, any winner of the WDC has made the most of the equipment given to them. Winning the championship is the express purpose of the cars, after all, so the winner used the equipment to best advantage.

Having said that, I would say that, given the caliber of his equipment, Kubica did the best job. The Renault team budget probably wouldn't cover the engine bills of any of the top three teams, yet RK managed to flatter the car.

siffert_fan said:
Adding provisions to polls such as "based on the equipment they were given" always seems to me a bit of a thinly disguised attempt to belittle a result the pollster didn't like, or to "big-up" their favourite.

Is it not more to remove those who didn't make the most of the car they were given? *cough* Schumacher *cough*

siffert_fan said:
I don't agree with that.

If you look at the qualifying results for this year, Red Bull by far and away should have wrapped both titles up well before the last few races.
As they didn't, it's reasonable to state that their drivers didn't make the most of their equipment or opportunity.

Yes they had a few mechanical failures (but then so did Alonso, Hamilton, Button, etc.) but their drivers made a lot of mistakes.

If points were awarded for qualifying, Red Bull would have scored 720 and the rest of the teams together a total of 1200, with McLaren being closest at 377. Or to put it another way, Red Bull would have scored 37.5% of the points available.
http://cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1535&p=32300#p31399

Siffert Fan said:

By definition, any winner of the WDC has made the most of the equipment given to them. Winning the championship is the express purpose of the cars, after all, so the winner used the equipment to best advantage.

Which probably explains, SF, why Autocourse invariably rate the WDC as their No1 driver most years. Poor Mika Hakkinen was the last guy not to get Alan Henry's vote, in 1998 he had Schumie as No1, Hakkinen at 2, and in 1999 he put Heinz Harald Frentzen as No1 (I kid you not), again with Mika at No2.

So rather than contribute to the discussion, all you do is criticise and berate the members.

Based on your comments you're obviously an Alonso fan and as a typical Alonso fan (see what I did there?) you can't do anything except criticise Hamilton and those who support or praise him in any way.

Dear Mr Brogan,i am not averse to praising Hamilton. He did a very good job in some races,such as Canada or Australia or China. But i think in BBC 606 too HAM would have been voted DOTW for GBR. And if you do accept his extreme popularity on this forum,then why carry out a separate thread analysing the DOTW votes??? :s

Soumya said:
i am not averse to praising Hamilton. He did a very good job in some races,such as Canada or Australia or China. But i think in BBC 606 too HAM would have been voted DOTW for GBR. And if you do accept his extreme popularity on this forum,then why carry out a separate thread analysing the DOTW votes??? :s

..but Hamilton drove a superb race at GBR!? he finished within a couple of seconds of a car that was quite capable of romping away at half a second a lap!

So who should be BGP DoTW in your mind? Maybe the honors should go to Button :snigger: for making up 10 places.

Make no mistake this is NOT a Hamilton forum. I have jumped to his defence here and been absolutely slammed back to ground zero, you can see that in the thread teabagyokel referred you to for one... and also, de facto numero RED1 Alonzo is regularly, some times reluctantly, praised for his great driving, even if he finds it necessary to occasionally remind us of his underdeveloped three year old girl mentality, at least his team and president are on the same page...

You will actually find this is probably one of the most impartial sites around when you state your point with some kind of actual meat behind it, and ill usually avoid the sarcastic drivel above, but shitty one liners will generally be greeted with a :nah: and the middle finger.

:goodday:

Brogan said:
If you look at the qualifying results for this year, Red Bull by far and away should have wrapped both titles up well before the last few races.
As they didn't, it's reasonable to state that their drivers didn't make the most of their equipment or opportunity.

The Red Bull's qualifying performances were not representative of its race pace, this was particularly apparent in the first half of the season. For whatever reason (I suspect we will never know) the McLaren was regularly able to match or even exceed the Red Bull's pace during the race. In fact the McLaren seems to have had exactly the same problem but in reverse! Late in the season the McLarens qualifying pace increased dramatically but its race pace fell off a cliff. Go figure :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom