Current Aston Martin F1 Team (Formerly Racing Point F1)

The Aston Martin F1 Team, formerly known as Racing Point, formerly known as Force India, formerly known as Spyker F1, formerly known as Midland F1, formerly known as Jordan Grand Prix, is a formula 1 team based just outside the gates of the Silverstone race circuit in Northamptonshire, UK.

Despite the numerous name changes the team are still based in the very same factory created by Eddie Jordan decades ago.

The Aston Martin name returns to F1 as a team name for the first time since 1960. Aston Martin competed in six World Championship Grand Prix between 1959 and 1960 and scored no points. Team owner Lance Stroll will be hoping for more of a return on his investment this time.

Coming off the back of the 2020 season where the team, running as Racing Point, managed 3 podiums and a race victory, resulting in a 4th placed championship finish, hopes will be high for continued success.

The new era for Aston Martin commences with a driver line up of 4 time World Drivers Champion Sebastian Vettel who joins from Ferrari, and the Canadian Lance Stroll.

I do believe Denny Hulme was the last "follically challenged" driver to win a Grand Prix in 1974. Happy to be corrected.

i seen alot about this & im not his biggest fan. he got battered by leclerc but 1 race he that is a bit premature to call retirement

but havent we discussed this & didnt force India racing point Aston Martin effectively admitted they signed him because he is a 4 time world champion & not on his current form

F1Brits_90 - I can remember a team famously hiring a driver back in 1995, because he was a world champion... Famously, he didn’t fit in the car, the chassis was altered, and he returned for 2 races, and didn’t score a point!

I still think that, had Williams let Coulthard join McLaren in 1995, and had employed Mansell, he would have had a much better send-off than he got with McLaren!

very true. but was almost managerial the way they talked about vettel. that unless he quits he is there til at least Abu Dhabi 2022 but it would be very early for him as he is 33. & unless he moves up which i doubt. as i think when he leaves he's gone. bar the odd visit to paddock like a few ex F1 drivers.

In Sebastian, we have a proven 4 time World Champion with experience of helping teams become race-winning & Championship-contending outfits. “That’s why he is such an important signing for us. He brings a winning mentality & we will all undoubtedly learn a lot from him on this journey."

I agree - and I tend to think that it's highly unlikely that Vettel will walk mid-season, but, I suspect that Laurence Stroll is bracing himself for that possibility. If Lance consistently beats Seb, then I can imagine him calling quits and going back to being with his family.

F1Brits_90 - I can remember a team famously being encouraged by Bernie, who said he would look on them very favourably, if they hired a driver back in 1995, because he was a world champion... Famously, he didn’t fit in the car, the chassis was altered, and he returned for 2 races, and didn’t score a point.

Fixed that for you.

Before the season started Stroll snr was saying that Ferrari did not treat Vettel with respect...I wonder if he has changed his tune after the first race. Does Stroll Snr actually have deep pockets to fund Aston Martin F1 ... its only good investment if the team are front runners and battling for podiums. It looks like copying Mercedes is hurting them like Haas did with Ferrari.

So a back up plan to get Hulkenberg ready to step in ..I mean they could picked a young Merc driver but that is not the thinking
He must have thought that having Vettel would bring them closer to the front not zoom the other way. Is he seeing some of Vettel's bad habits where he gets sulky and really does seem to struggle if he is not happy with the car.

Aston Martin could find themselves zooming backwards as they want the floor rule changed quickly.clearly feeling more hampered than Mercedes. They are unlikely to get favours to do so

Not sure if anyone has picked this up but Ralf Schumacher was quoted on bild.de saying that there are internal issues at Aston Martin because Stroll snr has his own ideas which aint making various people in the team happy.

The other thing he said was Vettel ought to be dominating Stroll jnr but is not able because of the internal issues

Well I wouldn't want to bank on that level of conclusive proof if I was trying to convince the jury.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom