Current Aston Martin F1 Team (Formerly Racing Point F1)

The Aston Martin F1 Team, formerly known as Racing Point, formerly known as Force India, formerly known as Spyker F1, formerly known as Midland F1, formerly known as Jordan Grand Prix, is a formula 1 team based just outside the gates of the Silverstone race circuit in Northamptonshire, UK.

Despite the numerous name changes the team are still based in the very same factory created by Eddie Jordan decades ago.

The Aston Martin name returns to F1 as a team name for the first time since 1960. Aston Martin competed in six World Championship Grand Prix between 1959 and 1960 and scored no points. Team owner Lance Stroll will be hoping for more of a return on his investment this time.

Coming off the back of the 2020 season where the team, running as Racing Point, managed 3 podiums and a race victory, resulting in a 4th placed championship finish, hopes will be high for continued success.

The new era for Aston Martin commences with a driver line up of 4 time World Drivers Champion Sebastian Vettel who joins from Ferrari, and the Canadian Lance Stroll.

I thought Russell has already been confirmed at Williams next season. I commented at the time that it could be one season too many and see him miss out on potential better seats as they appear.

Racing Point could buy out his contract but why would they if they could land Vettel and rake in the publicity and sponsorship.

Ah yes, although I suppose Mercedes could smooth his passage if necessary. Stroll would at least provide a bit of a benchmark.

Not completely sure that Seb's sponsorship value exceeds his salary at this point, either.

I would hope that Russel is being kept at Williams for another season so that Hammy can win his eighth title, retire, they can give Bottas the boot and bring in Russell and a n other. What German drivers are there in the lower formulas who would suit the team?

On Racing Point, the 2021season will be "shit or bust" for Vettel. If he doesn't pack Stroll jnr up in a little box and send him back to his Dad then this will be Sebastian's last season I suspect. Quite how good the Racing Point/Aston Martin will be in 2021 remains to be seen.

Can we draw a parallel between SV and Nelson Piquet in terms of how their careers have waxed and waned?

Can we draw a parallel between SV and Nelson Piquet in terms of how their careers have waxed and waned?
Piquet landed a seemingly good move replacing Senna at Lotus in 88 but the type 100 was a very flawed car and the type 101 with the Judd engine was an absolute shit heap. Piquet did have an Indian summer with Benetton though.

I would say SV would be more like Fittipaldi or Villeneuve with huge success early on followed by a mostly self engineered decline.

Fittipaldi was good, JV was average in a good car set up by Damon Hill, Williams went down hill ( no pun) as did JV, mainly due to his ego being larger than his capabilities.

On the BBC commentary it was said that Racing Point has had it's best chances for this season as the are not doing any more updates. Maybe they will be doing some work over the winter break?

It turns out that Racing Point has been doing some develop work after all. As a result Lance Stroll had an improved car whilst Sergio Perez didn't. Wonder whether they will do that next season. :rolleyes:

Ted Kravitz was stirring a gigantic wooden spoon around the pot in his post race "note book" today.

He revealed that Toto was seen in the RP garage finding out what had happened to Lance Stroll and earlier in the weekend Stroll senior and Toto had a private meeting in the RP motor home.

Make of that what you will.

As he was describing the activities between Toto and Stroll Snr I expected Kravitz to end every sentence with "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more"

Toto is a major shareholder in Aston Martin, not sure if that gives him any sway in F1 team.
Given he is a major shareholder it will give him influence over the teams' activities

An interesting rumour over the weekend was Ineos may want to buy into the Mercedes factory team so that would would switch Toto's focus to run Aston Martin.

It will be also interesting if the rumours were true when what will corporate Mercedes do in terms supplying parts and engines to its 3 teams

Ineos is large enough to buy Mercedes racing including its British made engine supplier, the only thing German about Mercedes racing team is the name, money and team principal :whistle: :D

Ineos is large enough to buy Mercedes racing including its British made engine supplier, the only thing German about Mercedes racing team is the name, money and team principal :whistle: :D
I think its Team Brackley that will be bought so Toto will focus his efforts on Aston Martin

It will be interesting if all Mercedes powered teams then get the same parts or will Aston Martin be the factory Mercedes team

So your suggesting that Mercedes no longer becomes the works Mercedes team if the team principal leaves and joins Aston Martin even though the only connection to Mercedes at AM would be their former principal?

That doesn't make much sense.

Back
Top Bottom