An idea, probably half-baked, but... Should the FIA run a fan vote for end of year awards?

TN23

Rookie
Sorry about the terribly long title, but should the FIA run an awards ceremony where the fans get to pick winners in certain categories.

The categories could be:
Fans' driver of the year
Driver performance of the year (Best performance over ONE race by a driver)
Overtake of the year
Most entertaining race of the year
...and of course any others you could think of.

I think it would be a nice way for fans to feel and be a little more involved, and a nice bit of silverware for a driver. Then again, it might just be a silly gathering for drivers to collect extra publicity for no reason.

What are your thoughts?

Well, that's rather shot that idea down! :oops:

OK, I'll explain myself. The problem with fan votes is that everyone can vote. Look at our fan votes, one of them's been shut down for trolling!

Thus its just a matter of critical mass.

Who is everyone in Spain going to vote for?
Who is everyone in Italy going to vote for?

Who has got a huge advantage even before we start?

Remember, on this British site the Driver of the Year has been given to Lewis Hamilton 3 years on the bounce!

So its not picked on merit, rather on "who do I support", and quite frankly I'd hate to see that made official.

A good point that I had not thought of! Too trusting that people are fairly objective- what did I say about half-baked?

Interestingly, I personally don't think Lewis Hamilton has been the best driver for the last three years...

Sadly teabag's correct and you can even see it in effect on other large sites.

James Allen holds polls all the time and sometimes fan sites will post links everywhere and anywhere telling people to vote for the driver they support, which generally has very little to do with the poll.
There was a time a while ago when a certain number of Spanish sites held a little campaign to ensure a particular driver won every poll, and by some considerable margin too with tens of thousands of votes.

It's also very easy to spoof online polls, voting via proxies, etc.

Suffice to say, you can't really trust any poll on the internet as they can all be influenced and faked.

They might as well do a phone in vote at the end of the race and kick out the driver with the least votes.

Keep the publics attention on the track!

Didn't they do an secret vote on the grid, with the drivers voting who they thought was the best and it turned out they thought Alonso. Why not do it with them?

Didn't they do an secret vote on the grid, with the drivers voting who they thought was the best and it turned out they thought Alonso. Why not do it with them?

Because the F1 universe is infinitely greater than the sum total of the grid perhaps?

Well TN23 has a point not saying that I agree with it or disagree with it, football
"goal of the month" "goal of the season" and so on...

Haven't seen it in another sport however.

Well TN23 has a point not saying that I agree with it or disagree with it, football
"goal of the month" "goal of the season" and so on...

They're not votes, thats Alans Hansen and Shearer picking one in the BBC studio. As if they know what they're talking about.

Agree with Teabag and Brogan on this one.

Unfortunately some people are very bias and would just go and vote for they favourite driver. Sad but true!

Doesn't anyone know if the F1 Drivers get to vote for their driver of the year for an award? If not why don't they?

Back
Top Bottom