Alonso vs Hamilton - Ding, ding. Seconds out, round two

However, if the races are/were so easy to gauge, from a strategy point of view, then it rather makes a mockery of racing at all - yes, I know there have been endless threads on the efficacy of this or that but wonder why anyone would still be watching when they are not actually races - just team principals "placing" their drivers were they want them to be.

It is possible to do something similar and it not come off, there have been numerous examples of teams making strategies only to be tripped up by unforeseen circumstances. We're only saying its easy because it came off - hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, the conspirators did call it well.

But glad to see that you are still in two minds about Alonso - except, like all "pilots", he's just there to fool the public.

I think his record at McLaren does tend to speak against him in this case. I don't believe he didn't question his strategy, but it is concievable that Pat Symonds was intelligent enough to come up with an adequate reply, or whether he just respected Signore Conflitto di Interesse more than others.

However, the fact that Alonso told his manager that the Safety Car was 'lucky' in the Podium Waiting Room suggests to me he was not in on it; because if he was party to the plan then he said a very incautious thing in that situation.

I could be wrong, I have the utmost respect for Alonso's intelligence and I think he's clever enough to have acted his part well. But, on balance, I can't see if there was a shred of proof that Alonso was involved why Piquet would not implicate him as part of his assault on the Brain Bleach Man.

I can't see if there was a shred of proof that Alonso was involved why Piquet would not implicate him as part of his assault on the Brain Bleach Man

Best not to burn all your bridges, he had already done enough to recieve immunity from the FIA.

Back
Top Bottom