Alonso showing his true colours?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Not sure on the accuracy of this article but if true it paints Alonso in a fairly poor light...

Fernando Alonso has inadvertently confirmed that he judged Lewis Hamilton's penalty in the Japanese GP fully deserved without even knowing what the Englishman was punished for.
"I don't know what he did," said the Spaniard, "but it's good he's punished anyway."

[MORE...]

The "helping Massa" statement has already been claimed as a "mis-translation" although BBC, Reuters and all of the other reputable sources haven't corrected their articles to reflect that so who knows?

If this latest statement is true then it will do nothing for Alonso's reputation in the eyes of many.

I will reserve judgement for now until and if more details emerge.

So what? How many drivers actually become F1 stars without being, self-centred, arrogant and convincing themselves they are the best out there? It goes with the territory. Look at the winning drivers in recent history, they've all go those traits no matter how they may come across in a fleeting press interview. Some can seem like nice guys, Damon Hill for instance, but having known him when he raced bikes when he put a helmet on he became a snapping brat. Obviously it was wasted on the bikes 'cos he was rubbish - my brother still claims that he's partly responsible for Damon being F1 world champion because, after beating him on a TZ250 (he was on a TZ350), he told him he ought to try 4 wheels because he couldn't be any worse than he was on 2!
Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa, Lewis Hamilton - I'd go out for a beer with all of them.

I've got no problem with drivers being arrogant, hot-headed or any of the other terms usually associated with them.
You have to be of a certain mindset to make it in the sport anyway and self-belief plays a big part of it.

I would however expect them all to have a sense of fair-play.
After all, who would want to win a race or WDC due to your opponent being unfairly penalised?
Where would the satisfaction be in that?

The statement by Alonso (if true) is just petty and unnecessary and beneath a 2 times WDC.

Bellabella said:
Maybe reporters should learn Spanish then translation would not be a problem.

"If possible I will help Massa beat Lewis Hamilton"................ yep, I need help with my Spanish as well. :D

This is not the "real" world - if I could gain an edge on someone as unstable as Hamilton to further my own advancement, then I would - and I'm one of the nicest people you'll meet!

Nando will not resort to "dirty" tactics, but he may well suddenly have a wider car.

I sometimes wonder why people follow F1 - it is not the most gracious of sports, nor is it/was it the most gentlemanly - however, it is one of the most exciting.

When they started out, all these guys were the Red Barons or the WW2 Battle of Britain Pilots - some have been cowed and become journeyman - others still need to win (and, more importantly, have the opportunity) and it is they who will provide the best racing from the spectators' point of view.

Nando was caught at the business end of industrial espionage so dirty tricks is his middle name. You cant really expect much from an overrated loud mouth who has talked his way into driving a lemon and insists on blaming everyone one else for his own questionable judgement. Drivers are naturally jealous when someone is doing better than them, but when you have someone who is as arrogant as he is, to have his title of heir apparent wiped away by a mere pup, i am in no way suprised by his attitude.

gav1ndav1d said:
Nando was caught at the business end of industrial espionage so dirty tricks is his middle name. You cant really expect much from an overrated loud mouth who has talked his way into driving a lemon and insists on blaming everyone one else for his own questionable judgement. Drivers are naturally jealous when someone is doing better than them, but when you have someone who is as arrogant as he is, to have his title of heir apparent wiped away by a mere pup, i am in no way suprised by his attitude.

Gav, we obviously disagree on the nature of the man and I don't have time to argue at the moment, but will get back to you tomorrow.

Not to worry Jen, I was just giving my opinion to the question of the thread. We all have our own views and thats what a forum is all about. Irrespective of whether i agree with everyone else here, i respect their opinion and their right to voice it, and will not be taking part in any arguments.

Cheers

I understand everything that has been said, but there's one thing that seems to be overlooked in all of this.

Fernando Alonso is not fighting for the 2008 World Championship

Now, I could understand him being happy at Hamilton being punished if he was several points behind him and looking good for the title, but fact is Alonso has not been near a title this season, and in picking out a driver from Hamilton & Massa for him to prefer is either a despicable attempt to engineer himself a Ferrari drive whilst showing precisely the reason he shouldn't get one, or a big dose of sour grapes based on the fact that he talked himself out of the 2007 World Championship and probably the 2008 World Championship as well during the farce of F1 at McLaren.

I can understand and even forgive this type of thing if you're competing, but Fernando is a bit-part player, as evidenced by the fact that consecutive victories have taken him to the heights of 7th in the World Championship, and this pathetic type of comment without any context compares him so unfavourably with the quiet dignity of Robert Kubica.

The heat of battle is no excuse for bad manners: anyone who watched the Wimbledon final this year understands that!

Yeah, I heard that after I'd written that stuff about him, but apparently it was a pretty leading question and, lets face it: a) He's fighting Massilton and b) he's not spewing the malicious rubbish that Spain's favourite plonker is!

Bellabella said:
You must not surmise all you read about FA (!) He is the best driver of the moment, surely you cannot argue with that
Its not too hard to argue against that considering the only time he has shown any form is when he has a team mate who isn't allowed to race him.

When he can prove he is better than a rookie who is allowed to fight against him, then maybe you can say it. Until then, he is a good driver with a bad attitude.

He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, he has won WDCx2, and this year he is driving an inferior car to the prima donnas (MM/F) and in the last 2 races still managed to make them look like amateurs. And incidentally he has been gagged by MM, now I wonder why??

Bellabella said:
And incidentally he has been gagged by MM, now I wonder why??

I thought it was a mutually agreed "gagging" that applies equally to both sides. Why would Alonso want to gag McLaren, eh?

He's a good driver and particularly in 2006 he really deserved the title, taking from the combined forces of Ferrari and the FIA. But the best? Hmmm... I'm not at all convinced.

Bellabella said:
He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, he has won WDCx2, and this year he is driving an inferior car to the prima donnas (MM/F) and in the last 2 races still managed to make them look like amateurs.

Wow, talk about Alonso-tinted glasses. A few observations:

1. You're only as good as your last race. Last year's WDC is exactly that, last years. Alonso is now 2 years out of pocket ... Its just the reality of the "what have you done for me lately?'' attitude of the business that is F1.
2. Not clear why McLaren and Ferrari are prima donnas ...
3. Alonso was gifted the Shanghai win due to pitting early, and let's face it, Hamilton and Massa taking each other out allowed a flattering position in Japan, notwithstanding that Alonso and the Renault performed well. If they had stayed on track IMO Alonso would have been a well-deserved third.

Back
Top Bottom