A good historical comparison

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
I do enjoy a good historical comparison Felipe Massa = Rene Arnoux. Anyone got another one?

Massa is a very good driver but not what you would call "world class driver"

He has not shaken off the tag at Ferrari that he was one of Todt's legacy...he has not got many people backing him

Arnoux was naturally talented but it was his application a bit more like Trulli or Raikkonen post 2007

I do enjoy a good historical comparison Felipe Massa = Rene Arnoux. Anyone got another one?

I've always thought that:

Derek Warwick=Martin Brundle (These two were good enough to win, but fate intervened Warwick: '84 Brazil and '89 Canada, Brundle '92 Canada and Belgium)

Nick Heidfeld=Nico Rosberg (Lack of wins in cars that aren't quite championship contenders)

Thierry Boutsen (1988)=Jenson Button (2004) (Stifled by one dominant team. Boutsen by McLaren, and Button by Ferrari)

Jacques Laffite=Rene Arnoux (Remarkably similar paths. Both were mechanics and were late F1 starters. Remarkably similar attainment, close-ish to a WDC, and retired in their fourties)

Giancarlo Fisichella (2005 and 2006)=Mark Webber (2011) (Really should be doing more and taking more wins, but team orders taking effect)

Vitantonio Liuzzi=Christian Klien (Both Red Bull drivers who didn't impress against an ailing Coulthard, and in last-chance saloon at HRT)

Alan Jones' comeback=Michael Schumacher's comeback=Nigel Mansell's 1995 comeback (Catastrophic efforts that will seriously damage their reputations)

Sebastien Vettel and Emerson Fittipaldi? Let's hope Seb's brother doesn't start his own F1 team (although some of you on here might think that would be great :p )

Robert Kubica = Jean Alesi

Everyone see's the talent they have and predicts them as the next big thing but it never quite works out like that(yet)

Adrian Sutil = Pierluigi Martini

loved by the back of the grid team he joined so much that he stays there for an enternity putting a couple of excellent drives a season that makes people wonder how they'd do in a car higher up the grid.

Paul Di Resta = Jan Magnusen

Lots and lots of hype but no product!- ok its a bit early for this one!

I think that's really harsh on di Resta.... He has incredible speed - but his racecraft in the Force India has been a little lacking! Remember that he was racing in the DTM for 4 years, and so almost has to re-learn how to race single seaters!

Remember that he was racing in the DTM for 4 years

Ah, that would go some way to explaining why he keeps losing front wings, he's having to relearn how to overtake without 'rubbing'

Alan Jones' comeback=Michael Schumacher's comeback=Nigel Mansell's 1995 comeback (Catastrophic efforts that will seriously damage their reputations)

To be fair, Mansell's 1994 comeback appearances at least featured a win, but have to agree with the disastrous 1995 McLaren (non) effort...

One comparison that might seem surprising would be old team-mates Niki Lauda and Alain Prost, due to in one particular aspect: (apart from winning title after coming back from retirement): the latter made no secret he changed his attitude to racing 1985 after learning from the former that it's better to finish second than risk not finishing at all.

Prost was a far more aggressive driver pre-Lauda (as a team-mate) than post-Lauda.

To be fair, Mansell's 1994 comeback appearances at least featured a win, but have to agree with the disastrous 1995 McLaren (non) effort...

I was very careful I wrote 1995. I thought, considering the circumstances, that Mansell adapted back to F1 in 1994 well after being in much more 'agricultural' CART cars.

Nick Heidfeld = Timo Glock/Nico Rosberg anyone see a pattern? The most likely to break out of this field is probably Rosberg, but it seems a while away.

Rubens Barrichello = Mark Webber

Yamamoto = Karthikeyan

Jan Magnussen = Bruno Senna Lalli

Pastor Maldonado = Hector Rebaque? South American in a blue and white car carrying decals from his personal fuel sponsor.

Nick Heidfeld = Jean-Pierre Jarier? Quick on his day, lots of races, lots of teams, no wins, probably deserved at least one.

Pastor Maldonado = Hector Rebaque? South American in a blue and white car carrying decals from his personal fuel sponsor.

----------------------------------------------

Maldonalo has his detractors, but I think it's fair to say he has a far greater potential than journeyman Rebaque ever had.

Back
Top Bottom