59th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring

Matthew Little

Points Scorer
150px-Mobil_1_12_Hours_of_Sebring_logo.gif

Since 1952, the motorsports community have traveled to central Florida and Sebring International Raceway for one of the great endurance events on the motorsports calendar, the 12 Hours of Sebring. Winners have included Mario Andretti, Briggs Cunningham, Juan Manuel Fangio, A.J. Foyt, Jacky Ickx, Dan Gurney, Stirling Moss, Phil Hill, Mike Hawthorn & Tom Kristensen, while several famous marques from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Cunningham, Audi to big American marques Ford and Chevrolet have found victory on the long and bumpy Sebring circuit. It also provides teams one last chance to test themselves before the mid-June classic that is LeMans and beginning in 2011 will also be the first round of the International LeMans Cup, which adds to the event's prestige(58 entries for this year's Sebring 12 Hr. race......)

EVENT SCHEDULE, 59th MOBIL 1 TWELVE HOURS OF SEBRING
---14 March: 1-5pm, Test Session(all classes)
---15 March: 11:35am-12:35pm & 3:50-4:50pm, Test Session(all classes)
---17 March: 10:15am-11:15am, Practice Session #1(all classes)
---17 March: 3:05pm-4:05pm, Practice Session #2(all classes)
---17 March: 7:50pm-9:30pm, Night Practice(all classes)
---18 March: 10:40am-11:40am, Practice Session #3(all classes)

---18 March: Qualifying(GT class), 3pm-3:15pm
---18 March: Qualifying(GTC class), 3:15pm-3:30pm
---18 March: Qualifying(LMP1/LMP2 classes), 3:35pm-3:50pm
---18 March: Qualifying(LMPC class), 3:50-4:05pm

---19 March: Warm-Up, 8am-8:25am(all classes)
---19 March: 59th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, 10:30am-10:30pm

Been scrounging around the Interwebs for footage from Sebring of past 12 Hours and found a few...........

note...........home movie w/no audio; here is the comments under the video:
Just discovered this in some old family film transfers. Shot by my Dad, my brothers and I that day at the race. Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti had a 12 lap lead when the checkers waved that night. The radical design of the Chaparal was way ahead of its time. 58 cars started the race that featured 6 Ford GT's, led by the 7 Liter engine equipped factory prototype. The yellow No. 1 MkIV was the car to beat and the class of the field and that car went on to finish 4th at Le Mans later that year . 2.0 Liter Factory Porsche 910 was one of their most distinctive cars and they prided themselves by doing more with less.

1970 Twelve Hours of Sebring(Part 1)
1970 Twelve Hours of Sebring(Part 2)
1970 Twelve Hours of Sebring(Part 3)
1970 Twelve Hours of Sebring(Part 4)
1970 Twelve Hours of Sebring(Part 5)

Most teams will tell you that 12 hours at Sebring is as tough or tougher than 24 hours at Le Mans. The bumps make it harder on cars and drivers than the French classic!

Couple of news items as the 12 Hours of Sebring approaches............

Speed Channel: Peugeot Tops Monday Test At Sebring
Speed Channel: Audi Fastest On Tuesday At Sebring
---Peugeot was fastest on the charts Monday; Audi returned the favor by being fastest on Tuesday

Speed Channel: Sebring 12 Hours' Rules & Regulations
Quoting the article...........
With this weekend’s Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring serving as the opening round for both the American Le Mans Series and the new Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, the sportscar endurance classic not only sees a significant increase in car count, but is also faced with the merging of the two series under a single race.

While both championships are based off the same ACO rulebook, each have subtle differences that have created a few challenges. But the minds at IMSA and the ACO have come up with what appears to be the best solutions, ensuring the weekend goes without a hitch.

Speed Channel: Sebring Wednesday Notebook
Speed Channel: Battle of the Turbo Diesels

Great stuff, I'm tingling with anticipation! Anyone who hasn't really taken an interest in sportscar racing before, this could be a great weekend to start.

Anyone know if there is a way of watching this in the UK? Can we access the Speed feed?

Gah! I had assumed Motors TV were showing it, as per last year, but they aren't. :(

I'll try to investigate online options. If anyone has any tips, would be much appreciated.

I guess it's all finished now? The stream doesn't load. :(

I was just reading a preview on Speedhunters, really need to go and see some more racing.

Back
Top Bottom