300 not out!

Ok Bringing the topic back from Nuts magazine humour ;) I say the best Schumi years for me was him dueling with Hill in his off the pace Benneton in 1995. The Williams was so much better a car that season but Schumacher made it look easy and their drivers look a bit silly. I don't think DC's rep every really recovered - and despite the boring Schumacher years tag it was good racing that season - I mean how many other season have we seen the two title contenders take each other out twice in different races? Much to the delight of Johnny Herbert.

There was also a race at the Hungaroring(don't remember what year) when he was languashing in 3rd or something with the Mclarens scampering away, pitted a couple of laps later than they did, and somehow came out about 15 seconds in the lead. I remember just being gobsmacked and thinking that the guy was just unbeatable.

People throw a lot of insults at Schumi and use the boring tag quite a lot but lets remember he was a the top of the sport for about 13 years. I can't think of many other drivers who were there for that long. In his 'first career' he drove 15 and a half seasons and was a championship contender for 10 of those. Considering he drove through the 'Williams is 2 seconds a lap quicker" era and broke his leg half way through the 1999 season I think thats pretty awesome. You can say he only really lost the championsip race 3 times - once in 1997 with a massive error of judgement - once in 1998 when Mika was just plain quicker than him and once in 2006 when the young guns finally caught him. He pretty much took everything anyone could throw at him - whether it be rule changes, insults, declaring him dangerous, a whole host of new kids on the block all gunning for him and him alone.

Love him or hate him(or even bored by him) you have to give him credit as a great competitor.

DC's time at Williams wasn't exactly something he'd want to remember he binned it in the pit lane whilst leading and he binned it on a parade lap when he had taken pole.... Doh...

I agree though Schumi's early yeas where the best...

One that really sticks out for me is the 1994 Spanish GP where despite being stuck in 5th gear for most of the race he still managed to finish second. Not bad when you consider that every lap he had to take a 2nd gear chicane and that he also had to do a pit stop like that as well.

Sadly, as many others have noted, there are too many clouds over what should be a brilliant career.

For some reason, the bad ass image he has just makes me chuckle, took no shit from everyone, but damn right dangerous, you would only expect it from him, - yes, it's a bit silly to think like that, but I was a kid then, and I quite liked the daredevil - although Senna has done similar antics it's somehow different.

Seeing him countlessly take the fight to the silver bullet McLaren's in 1998 and 1999 sum it up for me. When he fought the faster Williams that was before my time. But in this day and age, I've not seen a driver make that much of a deficiet to faster cars.

The memory that sums up Schumacher to me, was that race in Hungary in 1998 against the two fast McLaren's, and doing a slower 3 stop strategy compared to the McLaren's 2, yet coming out in the lead.

That...and, how Murray Walker used to be in awe in him despite Schumacher being Damon Hill's nemesis. :)

Back
Top Bottom