Grand Prix 2022 Mexico Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Mexican Grand Prix takes places in Mexico City, Mexico. It is named thus to avoid confusion with, say, the Indian Grand Prix, which takes place at an Indian City, in India. However, this naming convention can become confusing when you have the Emilia Romagno Grand Prix, which takes place just outside the village of Corfe in Dorset.

It is the highest circuit on the F1 calendar at an altitude of 52,000 feet above sea level. The Miami Grand Prix is probably the highest if you take in to account the amount of Colombian marching powder consumed locally. If you are in the seats right at the top of the grandstands you can see the curvature of the earth and, if you look up, you see the stars in space even when the sun is shining. The only human who has ever been higher than those at the top of the grandstands is Felix Baumgartner, although Johnny Depp could give him a run for his money.

The cars travel down the main straight at nearly mach 2, blown along by the jet stream. The jet stream is an air current which travels at very high speed in the upper atmosphere, Nicholas Latifi is a formula one driver who travels at very low speed in the lower atmosphere. The air at this circuit is incredibly thin, the only thing thinner than the air at the Mexican Grand Prix is Geri Horner, who disappears entirely when she turn sideways.

Mexicans have an annual "day of the dead". There is a similar event every year in the UK which is called the Conservative Party Conference.

At the start of the Grand Prix they play the National Anthem which is at this race, of course, the Mexican Hat Dance. But in an attempt to avoid stereotypes the band play all the notes in the wrong order. Who could have know that the influence of Morecambe and Wise could have spread so far across the world?

Sergio Perez is Mexican. In case his name didn't give you enough of a clue about his heritage people call him "Checo", which he said himself in 2013 is neither complicated nor interesting. With that I have to agree, much like the man himself. He should not be confused with Chico, who was one of the Marx brothers and was interesting.

Other drivers on the F1 grid also have nicknames. Carlos Sainz is sometimes called "Chili", because his testicles are the size of kidney beans. Daniel Ricciardo is the "Honey Badger", as he can often be found sleeping by the side of main roads, and Sebastien Vettel is called "The Finger", due to his intimate relationship with Christian Horner when a Red Bull Driver.

There has been some controversy about the spending cap prior to this Grand Prix, with Red Bull accused of spending more money then they were allowed. They have claimed that part of the overspend was due to offering free meals to their staff. One has to hope they didn't offer their staff any of the watered down piss the brand sells as an "energy drink" as a beverage to go with the truffles fries, foie gras butties, and caviar pizzas the canteen must serve up on a daily basis.

In the 1950 F1 season the average age of F1 drivers was 39. In 2022 seven of the drivers hadn't even reached puberty. There is now much more diversity amongst the drivers, and teams have looked across the world to put young men from different nations in to their cars over recent years. This has nothing to do with their driving ability, rather it gives the teams a chance to flog all sorts of old tat in markets which wouldn't normally take any notice of F1 or the dodgy companies who sponsor the teams these days.

The official F1 website, for whatever reason, shows the event in the wrong sequence and lists the time and date of the race first. You should note that qualifying is on quite late in the evening (UK time) so that it doesn't interfere with other important televisual events such as Strictly Come Dancing or The Voice. I believe there is a big cross over in the fan base between Formula One and crap reality TV shows.

1666602993201.png

The race is 71 laps of a 4.3 km circuit, 2.67 miles in old money or 6165 honey badgers laid end to end.

Some of the above facts may not be true. Enjoy!

Last edited:
:sleeping:

Utter sooze fest.

Made worse by drivers (both the Mercs for example) begging their teams to do something different tyre wise and the teams sticking like zombies to their strategy computers.

The championship is over. Junk the lap tops and 200 staff back at HQ running 100 different versions of every option and just wing it. You've got F all to lose.

absoultely terrible race & people say monaco the worst race of the season

very disappointed in mercedes, they said they would be gamble & be agressive. yet again their biggest weakness raises their far too risk adverse. they never gamble always back through the years, as i said during the race. i assumed they wouldve 2 stopped or at least 1 wouldve gone long on the mediums, putting Hamilton on hards ruined the race. it felt like putting him in no mans land. lost 8 seconds on going longer on mediums then another 6 on the slower tyre

Red bull have just been stuffed as Sky F1 have just taken the in house F1 interviews, so theyve lost nothing. red bull are going to hate it that someone has found a loophole in the rules. because of course they wouldnt dare do that

absoultely terrible race & people say monaco the worst race of the season

very disappointed in mercedes, they said they would be gamble & be agressive. yet again their biggest weakness raises their far too risk adverse. they never gamble always back through the years, as i said during the race. i assumed they wouldve 2 stopped or at least 1 wouldve gone long on the mediums, putting Hamilton on hards ruined the race. it felt like putting him in no mans land. lost 8 seconds on going longer on mediums then another 6 on the slower tyre
Their best feature is consistency, not gambling, but it might pay off in the end.

Their best feature is consistency, not gambling, but it might pay off in the end.
but that worked in last 7 years but now they arent the quickest car. but if your going to 1 stop mirror Verstappen surely. dont go longer. go from 2 seconds to 8 seconds & then on hards go from 8 - 15 seconds. if you mirror verstappen then pit again you might be able to put verstappen under pressure. instead of making it easy. new tyres had cars in the 1.21's but the hard tyres were in 1.23's

they only have 2 chances to win as they wont win in abu dhabi. you have to risk it all. but i know its never been in their nature

Once again Merc screwed up their tire strategy. Strangely, in both stints they ran their cars on tire compounds that were one step slower than what RB was running. That was too bad for the fans because judging by how Lewis was able to generally keep within 2 secs. of Max during the first stint despite being on slower mediums while Max was the quicker softs, it could have been a very close race if Merc had used the same tire strategy as RB. Merc was close enough to RB this race where they didn't need to try some zany strategy. Merc obviously greatly over-estimated the expected tire deg. as the tires (and notably the mediums) held up very well during the race. Perhaps this miscalculation in part resulted from the teams not being able to run proper long runs due to having one less practice sesion because of the stupid mandatory tire test session? If I was a fan attending the race I would have been quite upset with having to watch a damn boring tire test session instead of a proper practice session, especially given the high cost of F1 tickets (and Practice 2 tends to be the most important session of the three). These tire tests should be run on the Monday after the race weekend (or the Thursday before it) so as not to interfere with it and to give the race attendees their full ticket value.

interesting Gasly. alpine might be looking for the 4th choice driver very soon. he has just got 10pts since spanish gp & if he gets 2 more points in the next 9 races (last 2 2022 & 1st 7 2023) he will be the 1st to sit out a race

I go with th e BBC, Gerge Russel should have been allowed go as far as possible on th e first. Then he could have gome for a death or glory run, look at what Daniel Riccardo did.

Made worse by drivers (both the Mercs for example) begging their teams to do something different tyre wise and the teams sticking like zombies to their strategy computers.

The championship is over. Junk the lap tops and 200 staff back at HQ running 100 different versions of every option and just wing it. You've got F all to lose.
why dont teams take any risks any more,

genuinely i think this page out of football manager Jose Mourinho handbook. as its incredible deflection as nobody chatting about them being the only team to fail the budget cap. in my opinion getting a just about lenient penalty & 1 that might not dissuade people from doing minor breaches

but if Red Bull thought that this would be swept under the carpet by now they were incredibly naive. because people still debate Prost/Senna, Schumacher/Hill & Schumacher/Villeneuve they were 25-30 years ago. & people will argue about Abu Dhabi for the next 25 years. but the difference is to the geat of my knowledge Schumacher didnt boycott the British Media in 1994. & Hamilton didnt boycott the Dutch media in 2021 or 2022, when they had a ridiculous opinion espically post british gp.

theyve got to get used to that someone is going to have a different opinion rightly or wrongly. unless you live in Russia or North Korea

getting a just about lenient penalty & 1 that might not dissuade people from doing minor breaches

Those are my concerns and my criticism regarding the penalties also. Giving RB what basically is just a monetary penalty for violating the budget cap is a joke (nor from the perspective of season results achieved through on track competition is it fair to the teams that complied and were thus unfairly disadvantaged). Results, points and titles are all that really matter and all that the teams really care about. So, if these are allowed to stand untouched for the guilty team then it really hasn’t been punished and has gotten away with its budget cap cheating. In fact, (especially if the team has achieved notable results such as RB did in 2021) with the results that the guilty team achieved through its cheating being left intact, the team will simply consider the monetary fine as being money well spent. With the prospect of being able to keep its results and receiving only a monetary fine and the loss of a small percentage of wind tunnel time, there is no real deterrent to budget cap violations. Under this scenario, a team that wants to cheat can just include the extra money for a violation fine into its planning for its season’s expenses. Monetary penalties just aren’t a big deal for the top teams and thus serve as no real deterrent to cheating. Imposing competition penalties (i.e., stripping a guilty team of both constructor and driver points, wins, etc, and possible disquailification) is the only meaningful punishment and the only bona fide deterrent (the amount of points, wins, to be stripped can be scaled according to the severity of the violation but the level of such punishment must always have a significant impact on the team's results; monetary and car development penalties can, of course, be included also). I think Toto Wolf in particular did a good job of explaining how, in a sport in which advantages are measured in mere tenths of a second, even what seems a small percentage budget cap violation can allow a team to gain a significant competitive advantage.

what i like is that sky sports are standing up to red bull.

View attachment 16053
Ironically, this was a point I made a few weeks ago that the TV companies had been guilty of playing lap dog to the teams and F1 for far too long

People commented at the time that there was a fear of losing access to the teams behind the never ending love ins.

The good thing is that Red Bull have suffered quite a bit of PR damage for not talking to Sky and hopefully this may go some way to changing the dynamics between F1 journalists and the teams.

Back in the day, great F1 journalists such as Alan Henry and Nigel Roebuck would give credit where it was due but they would also take teams to task when necessary.

Hopefully we can get back to honest levels of reporting and much less of the "Christian and the Red Bull show"

Back
Top Bottom