Grand Prix 2022 Dutch Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

When F1 announced it was going back to Zandvoort I was quite excited. I had good memories of the races in the 1980's, Alan Jones breaking a skirt whilst running away from the field in 1980, Didier Pironi looking like he would become World Champion with a win in 1982, which sadly he never achieved, Niki Lauda's last win in 1985.

I will admit to having watched the race last year on my phone, so it is difficult to be completely objective, but I do recall being totally underwhelmed by the whole event. Max and Red Bull were unbeatable, something very likely to be repeated this weekend. The track has been hacked about and they have included some parts, it appears to me anyway, because they can, rather than because they actually improve the racing or the spectacle.

It's strange that I don't find the passion of the Dutch fans as endearing as the passion of Italian fans. I suppose the Italian love of motor sport is long held and focused on a famous car brand, regardless of the drivers. The Dutch obsession is more recent, and focused on one, from my perspective anyway, less than likable individual, which can spill over in to jingoism and a poor attitude to anyone who might challenge their hero.

Sport is tribal, it is part of the reason why we enjoy it, to be part of a "gang". However, when it spills over in to negativity it is never pretty.

Let's hope this weekend we have a race of some sort, although I don't hold out great hopes. At the very least I hope that the fans behave themselves and as Max romps from a lights to flag victory they can avoid being too partisan towards the other drivers.

Here's the schedule for the cover age on Sky:

1662018580051.png

1662018615211.png

Enjoy.

Last edited:
that was the toughest Q1 of the season. ramped up far quicker than anyone saw. at start thought being under 1:12 would get you comfortably into Q2 but everyone converged with half a second of each other

& would Norris be in trouble for his fast lap. seem a bit unsafe to stay full throttle, as Vettel trying to rejoin

I don't think there were any yellow flags - so nothing to punish Norris for...

Good to see Perez showing his true value to Red Bull by screwing everyone else's quali
I wondered if Russell is going to be in a little bit of trouble; he only lifted off from the sector after he had passed the yellow flags, when he was on the start-finish straight.

Perez absolutely ****ed Hamilton's lap though.

I still tend to think that in circumstances like this, the offending driver should have to start from the pitlane.

"What a build up, listen to the atmosphere" say the Sky team. Or "look, some gimp is playing music too loudly at a sporting event (again), and some people in boiler suits are jumping about".

Why do those who run sports events think that playing music at levels which will make your ears bleed is what people going to football, F1, etc. is what fans want? Doubtless as soon as the race ends they will start to play noise music again, so those leaving don't have the chance to converse without shouting at one another.

FB im with you on the music. im that boring that i had to send Sheffield United a complaint. because i dont mind the pre match music as it can be good thing to rev people up. but play it at a reasonable level, it self defeating if its too loud. i was having too shout to talk to the person beside me & it was like Chinese whispers for people 1 or 2 rounds infront. mouth was move but couldnt hear a thing

Just wow, Alpha Tauri generate a situation to create a virtual safety car which allows Max Verstappen to retain the lead, and potentially win, the Dutch Grand Prix. This is the most blatant manipulation of an F1 race result since Nelson Piquet jnr stuffed his Renault in to the wall at Singapore.

Mercedes shot themselves in the foot for a possible race win

The dickhead haters off course will have something to say

Ferrari cocked up again in the pits

Last edited:
What a dreadfully contrived result. If the FIA don't disqualify Alpha Tauri from the entire season we yet again have a questionable driver and team championship.

What a dreadfully contrived result. If the FIA don't disqualify Alpha Tauri from the entire season we yet again have a questionable driver and team championship.
I'd say the 2nd safety car was a dreadful contrived result with Bottas car in the pitlane 12 laps if I remember and also getting Russell to move out if the way. How slow were the marshalls in removing the car. It was almost as if they want to have Verstappen doing a show off overtake ?

Last edited:
So, I think that there were a number of issues that teams (and the stewards) will need to answer:
  1. Why was Sainz not penalised for overtaking under yellow flags. I don't care if he was alongside on the straight or not, he came far too close to ploughing into the stranded Sauber. However, that does raise the question...
  2. Why was the Sauber abandoned on the straight? Why didn't Bottas pull into the pits? Engines don't just stop like that, without any smoke or debris. Was it an electrical problem? Was there no indication to the team? If the team were aware, then they should have pulled Bottas off. If there was no indication, he should have stopped somewhere safe - the braking point to T1 is not somewhere safe
  3. Why were drivers not being penalized for weaving. I think that Gasly and/or Tsunoda were doing it endlessly, as was Alonso.
  4. Why did Tsunoda stop, start, and then stop again. (It would probably have been a certain safety car, had the car stopped where it was).
EDIT: Sainz was not even investigated for overtaking under yellow flags...

So, I think that there were a number of issues that teams (and the stewards) will need to answer:
  1. Why was Sainz not penalised for overtaking under yellow flags. I don't care if he was alongside on the straight or not, he came far too close to ploughing into the stranded Sauber. However, that does raise the question...
  2. Why was the Sauber abandoned on the straight? Why didn't Bottas pull into the pits? Engines don't just stop like that, without any smoke or debris. Was it an electrical problem? Was there no indication to the team? If the team were aware, then they should have pulled Bottas off. If there was no indication, he should have stopped somewhere safe - the braking point to T1 is not somewhere safe
  3. Why were drivers not being penalized for weaving. I think that Gasly and/or Tsunoda were doing it endlessly, as was Alonso.
  4. Why did Tsunoda stop, start, and then stop again. (It would probably have been a certain safety car, had the car stopped where it was).
EDIT: Sainz was not even investigated for overtaking under yellow flags...
Point 2 I am fuming about given they could made sure the pitlane was closed and it took 12 🤬laps to finally to move the car and deem it safe to race.

Toto mentioned about a screw job no doubt to benefit one person in orange.

Hamilton is fuming fron being race winner to not even on the podium

Point 2 I am fuming about given they could made sure the pitlane was closed and it took 12 🤬laps to finally to move the car and deem it safe to race.

Toto mentioned about a screw job no doubt to benefit one person in orange.

Hamilton is fuming fron being race winner to not even on the podium
I'm not sure where you're getting 12 laps from. As far as I can see, the safety car was out for 5 laps. (Laps 56-60)

Back
Top Bottom