Grand Prix 2022 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a increasingly hectic calendar where we just had a week off after 5 races in the last 7 weeks which has seen Verstappen dominate winning 4 of those 5 & feel like he has taken quite a firm grip on this championship. we come home to where it all began in 1950 & Silverstone. 1 of the highlights of the calendar & talking about hectic. i hope people enjoyed their week off as we are about to embark on 4 races in the next 5 weeks. before the summer break

temp 2.jpg

i doubt we will have the drama of 2021 we dont have the sprint race here this weekend after it being the inaugural event 12 months ago instead that will be next week in Austria. but it was 1 of huge flashpoints of the season with that 51g crash at copse where the young pretender & reigning champion had threaten to do multiple times but 1 had always backed down until that night where Verstappen aggressive nature & Hamilton desperation to please the home crowd fuelled by the disappointment of sprint race 24 hrs before boiled over. that incredible drive post penalty to hunt down leclerc who can consider himself very unlucky not to win that day where he closed down 18 sec defiect in 18 laps. very nearly didnt happen because in Mercedes own words if Verstappen car had been recovered under safety car & not a red flag. Hamilton himself would've been retired.

but from the present day to the past of Silverstone. it might not be known how the history of Silverstone goes alot further back than might be thought. after my trip to the brilliant Silverstone museum few months ago.

200 metres north east of what is now Stowe Corner, was in medieval times a former Monastry & church that was luffield abbey that was beside a wooded forest

20220413_235952.jpg

the precursor to the british GP trophy from 1937. the BRDC british empire trophy race

temp 2.jpg

also we have the timeline, that shows that silverstone was still used as active farm right up to the 1990's, which really puts a new perspective on that iconic Mansell & Piquet battle in 1987.
20220414_121948.jpg

also a history of grand prix layouts & how it has changed over the years
20220414_121455.jpg

Really? All I see elsewhere is love for Sainz. Most genuine and sincere guy on grid etc.
sainz in the car & sainz the person ate 2 different conversations

sainz got fortunate yesterday, Ferrari again spent more time arguing than driving. & he was being beat by a wounded teammate til ocon broughtout the safety car, isnt a great look & also odds behind Hamilton. i tjink i said yesterday i was shocked both Ferraris finished i was certain they would take each other out. & sainz won because of abu dhabi dejavu leader not pitting under safety car conditions. leclerc shouldve pitted he had plenty of time & what shouldve been 29 pt defect is now 43pts

ill post this before I forget or becomes irrelevant

fantastic race maybe race of the year so far. those them last 10 laps i havent seen F1 as good as that in years. that was incredible racing everything we have hoped for from this these new rules

great drive from lewis. again for 100th time he proves the doubters wrong which is madness. that he still has them. i thought that safety car might have helped him win the race but in the end it probally cost him as it brought perez into play & the poor restart. the cars better. but i think its more because rules havent changed. it the combo of just a smoother circuit & the team has just stuck more downforce on in upgrades because apparently they cant fix the bouncing so its just reducing it for 2022 & helps have 1 of 3 greatest drivers of the modern era

very relieved with zhou, like Bahrain & Grosjean its a testament to how great these cars are now. so see him when he bounced over the tyre barrier was terrifying. im always amazed at these crashes when they leaving without injury. on the cause id still be more racing incident. but if i was too put blame anywhere it was gasly being bit too ambitious & why was he going into a wedge that would always disappear. 3 a brest into turn 1 was asking for bad luck

nice bit of humour as what a way to repay your mechanics from tsunoda, by taking your teammate out & also i never thought id see the day where Latifi was being held up

Ripped off by the extraction team? It looked in tact after the impact.

Those cars are bloody amazing. That was a sickening 20 minutes.
The roll hoop had gone by time Zhou entered the gravel trap - whilst the car was running upside down on the tarmac, it looks like it sheared off the chassis - the car suddenly dropped about 6inches, to be running purely on the halo.

Had the halo not been there, Zhou would not be with us now. If you look at the photos in the article below, you’ll see that the roll hoop is missing completely.

Going back to the George Russell farce, it looks like the stewards actually misapplied their regulations. Looking at the sporting regulations, 57.3 states:

1657017096121.png

Since the race was effectively stopped at lights-out, Russell's car should have been brought back to the pits, and put into 8th place.

Was the entry to the pit lane blocked line? There were some, or all, managed to get into it.

At the Nurburg Ring in 2016 there was a similar situation when there was a red flag : cars whose engines engines stopped were excluded but Hamilton kept his engine running and refused to let the marshals touch his car was allowed to continue the race.

Qualifying was probably the most exciting I have ever seen. Despite the commenters keeping on about the wet being a great leveler it strangely finished quite what you would would expect in the dry.

Once the race got going there was plenty of action : a few laps in Perez had a fastest lap which made me keep an eye on nis progress. He turned up being lucky with the safety car resulting in the last part of the race to finish with the final laps changing the result.

As usual the commentators didn't pick up Perez until the restart had taken place.

Going back to the George Russell farce, it looks like the stewards actually misapplied their regulations. Looking at the sporting regulations, 57.3 states:

View attachment 15721

Since the race was effectively stopped at lights-out, Russell's car should have been brought back to the pits, and put into 8th place.

i believe that you must make it back under your own power under the outside assistance rules, because going on a lorry means instant DNF

temp 1.png

Don't they have to make it to the pits under their own power?
That's my understanding.

Over the years, I can remember a number of occasions where the drivers waved the marshalls away from their cars to not violate this rule.

Last edited:
Was the entry to the pit lane blocked line? There were some, or all, managed to get into it.

At the Nurburg Ring in 2016 there was a similar situation when there was a red flag : cars whose engines engines stopped were excluded but Hamilton kept his engine running and refused to let the marshals touch his car was allowed to continue the race.
given the protesters sat on the Wellington straight, all of the cars should have stopped and turned their engines off…

Back
Top Bottom