Grand Prix 2022 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a increasingly hectic calendar where we just had a week off after 5 races in the last 7 weeks which has seen Verstappen dominate winning 4 of those 5 & feel like he has taken quite a firm grip on this championship. we come home to where it all began in 1950 & Silverstone. 1 of the highlights of the calendar & talking about hectic. i hope people enjoyed their week off as we are about to embark on 4 races in the next 5 weeks. before the summer break

temp 2.jpg

i doubt we will have the drama of 2021 we dont have the sprint race here this weekend after it being the inaugural event 12 months ago instead that will be next week in Austria. but it was 1 of huge flashpoints of the season with that 51g crash at copse where the young pretender & reigning champion had threaten to do multiple times but 1 had always backed down until that night where Verstappen aggressive nature & Hamilton desperation to please the home crowd fuelled by the disappointment of sprint race 24 hrs before boiled over. that incredible drive post penalty to hunt down leclerc who can consider himself very unlucky not to win that day where he closed down 18 sec defiect in 18 laps. very nearly didnt happen because in Mercedes own words if Verstappen car had been recovered under safety car & not a red flag. Hamilton himself would've been retired.

but from the present day to the past of Silverstone. it might not be known how the history of Silverstone goes alot further back than might be thought. after my trip to the brilliant Silverstone museum few months ago.

200 metres north east of what is now Stowe Corner, was in medieval times a former Monastry & church that was luffield abbey that was beside a wooded forest

20220413_235952.jpg

the precursor to the british GP trophy from 1937. the BRDC british empire trophy race

temp 2.jpg

also we have the timeline, that shows that silverstone was still used as active farm right up to the 1990's, which really puts a new perspective on that iconic Mansell & Piquet battle in 1987.
20220414_121948.jpg

also a history of grand prix layouts & how it has changed over the years
20220414_121455.jpg

I wonder on the SC if Leclerc should have pitted instead of Sainz because then Sainz would have had to comply but then he probably would have lost out to Alonso and Norris

How do people feel about Russell not being able to repair the car and start, especially given they reverted to pre race grid as not all cars had passed the second safety car line.

Oh and as a reminder

When Russell class trying to get his car repaired it reminded me of Hunt 1976 and that time Hunt did win but got dqed. Imagine if he did win then we would a serious protest from Red Bull or Ferrari?

... The ridiculous case with George Russell not being allowed to restart as well, whilst Ocon and Tsunoda drove dangerous cars around a lap of the track being allowed major repairs to be done, and to restart... (Possibly without penalty)
Hamberg they were saying that he couldnt get the car restarted & you have to get back to the pits under your own steam no matter how. otherwise it is outside assiantce, especially going back on a lowloader

i was peed off, 9 top 5 finishes in a row & i bet on him for the 1st time on youbet. DNF 1st lap :facepalm::D

Last edited:
Just saw it on Twitter from a fan video - Sky is blocked here.

now we know he's ok, its fine to be amused my the bloke legging it up the stairs

Sainz really is shite.
he got lucky today, because he was being beat by a wounded teammate, isnt a great look. i was shocked both Ferraris finished i was certain they would take each other out. but its abu dhabi dejavu what is about the leader that wont pit under safety car conditions

Testament to how strong these cars are in a crash. One lucky chap.

sadly only got to see highlights but that was an 11/10 for action, excitement and variety.

This is how Zhou ended up.

Look where his helmet is.

View attachment 15714
This should not happen though - it shouldn't be possible for a car to get wedged in between the armco and the catch-fencing. Imagine if this had been a repeat of Grosjean's crash, and it caught fire! Guanyu would not have been able to escape.

Yes, 999 times out of 1000, cars wouldn't end up like this - but as soon as you create this gap, it creates the possibility. It either needs to be much wider, or non-existant.

That being said, this is not the first time that Silverstone has seen cars flip beyond safety fences:
  • In 2000, Ricardo Zonta was testing the BAR, and managed to flip the car completely over the catch-fencing into the spectator area. Had that happened during the race, it would have been a disaster, only paralleled by Le Man 1955
  • Pedro Lamy in 1994, a few weeks after the San Marino GP managed to flip his Lotus into a spectator tunnel during testing. (There's YouTube coverage of the state of the car afterwards, linked to below, showing the extent of the damage. Lamy was lucky to escape with his life. Again, had this been during a race, the results would have been catastrophic:

He said in the commentary afterwards when she presented the winners trophy that he hadn't recognised who she was on the grid and only now knew that she was anyone relatively important.

This should not happen though - it shouldn't be possible for a car to get wedged in between the armco and the catch-fencing. Imagine if this had been a repeat of Grosjean's crash, and it caught fire! Guanyu would not have been able to escape.

Yes, 999 times out of 1000, cars wouldn't end up like this - but as soon as you create this gap, it creates the possibility. It either needs to be much wider, or non-existant.

That being said, this is not the first time that Silverstone has seen cars flip beyond safety fences:
  • In 2000, Ricardo Zonta was testing the BAR, and managed to flip the car completely over the catch-fencing into the spectator area. Had that happened during the race, it would have been a disaster, only paralleled by Le Man 1955
  • Pedro Lamy in 1994, a few weeks after the San Marino GP managed to flip his Lotus into a spectator tunnel during testing. (There's YouTube coverage of the state of the car afterwards, linked to below, showing the extent of the damage. Lamy was lucky to escape with his life. Again, had this been during a race, the results would have been catastrophic:
i didnt know it was possible to go in there, but i guess alonso melbourne 2017 is the outlier. its should be no gap

George russell sportsmanship of the year

Did anyone else notice that Lewis has bought Angela a scooter so she no longer has to run after him with all the bags and helmet.

Back
Top Bottom