Grand Prix 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

F1 is back!

After the excitement and controversy of 2021, the 2022 season gets underway at the Bahrain International Circuit this weekend. We have a "traditional" practice and qualifying, so no sprint race, with both qualifying and the race at 3.00 pm UK time. A late evening start in Bahrain which will run on in to the night.

What has testing (and the not testing session) told us? Personally, I have no idea which cars are fast or slow. I expect we will see the usual suspects at the front come qualie and the race, but this new formula has thrown up some very interesting aero developments, with each team pursuing quite different routes to try and make their car the fastest.

There are some new drivers, some team changes, and, totally unexpectedly, the return of Kevin Magnusson at Haas.

Will 2022 be another Hamilton/Verstappen battle for the Championship, or will we see George Russell, and the drivers at Ferrari and McLaren getting involved? I have my doubts that any of the other teams will be pushing for race wins, but I do anticipate the mid-field will be closer and more competitive. Don't be surprised if one team drops in a major change at some point in the season and leapfrogs up the grid as they get to grips with the new design rules.

It promises to be an exciting season. Hopefully the changes the FIA have made to the stewarding and race control personnel will help overcome some of the rather unpleasant "lobbying" we saw from many of the team in 2021. We certainly don't need any more moments of interpretation of the rule book from the officials at any of the races, either at the beginning or end of the season.

FP1 starts at midday on 18th, enjoy.

My guess is that
  • Haas have been running light in FP2 (not underweight, but with little fuel isn’t he car)
  • Mercedes have been running heavier
  • McLaren’s issues are just a lack of testing - the brake shrouds look a bit weird - although all through last season, they were about 10th in FP1/2, and then pushed up to about 5th/6thish in qualifying.
  • Williams are probably a little ahead of Haas, and i’d expect to see the Alfas near the back.

My guess is Merc had engines turned up in P2, perhaps nearly all the way as they need to be running in race conditions to address the bouncing (drivers and teams seem to call it bouncing, at least on car radio, which is what it is. ‘Porpoising’ is a flowery, non-technical, media style). Merc poss running high fuel, again to simulate race conditions. Given the Red Bull’s apparent stability I’m guessing their engines were turned down.

Hoping Merc got on top of it for the sake of competition.

My guess is that
  • Haas have been running light in FP2 (not underweight, but with little fuel isn’t he car)
  • Mercedes have been running heavier
  • McLaren’s issues are just a lack of testing - the brake shrouds look a bit weird - although all through last season, they were about 10th in FP1/2, and then pushed up to about 5th/6thish in qualifying.
  • Williams are probably a little ahead of Haas, and i’d expect to see the Alfas near the back.
Um... Well some of qualifying was unexpected...

Ferrari have really made steps forward with their engine... With the Saubers, Haas and Ferrari cars all markedly faster than they were in the past.

Mercedes seem to have fallen backwards... (And of course, these engines are now "homologated*" until 2025

*Of course, reliability tweaks will still be allowed... Who would be surprised if a manufacturer suddenly found an additional 30 BHP by just making their car "more reliable"

Never mind the Mercs but Perez will now come under closer scrutiny having the best car on the grid and see how far he is from Verstappen

Um... Well some of qualifying was unexpected...

Ferrari have really made steps forward with their engine... With the Saubers, Haas and Ferrari cars all markedly faster than they were in the past.

Mercedes seem to have fallen backwards... (And of course, these engines are now "homologated*" until 2025

*Of course, reliability tweaks will still be allowed... Who would be surprised if a manufacturer suddenly found an additional 30 BHP by just making their car "more reliable"
As long as they beat Red Bull I don't care if Ferrari wins they've got two classy drivers not dickheads

Russell a full second Hamilton isn't a good look for him.
No - but that really wasn't a genuine time from Russell - he had essentially one-shot in Q3, and locked up going into turn 1. Q1 and Q2 was much more representative. However, how you respond to the pressure is also important - and on this occasion, Mr Saturday looked more like Mr Saturday Night Fever :D

December
but i had good feeling for ferrari. the rate of development from times being the 2nd worst car on the grid in 2020. to finishing 3rd in constructors & taking pole positions is incredible

January
have feeling about Ferrari because how great the recovery has been it took McLaren 4-5 yrs to go from last to 3rd. being in contention for poles & wins. Ferrari had done that within 8 months

smug top gear GIF

good qualifying always great to have F1 & the answers to all our questions 1st of all wow for Haas over the moon for them & maybe even surprised themselves after all that turmoil. that wait has been well worth it, this could be a great season id love to see verstappen v both Ferraris. maybe both mercedes on the way back

thats going to hurt riccardio but he was miles behind he had 3 hours in what McLaren called a car they had to do alot of fire fighting with compared to Norris who had 27 hours. but then Riccardio was saying how it might be track specific because they thought they had a great car in barcelona & then struggled in bahrain

but then on other hand huge credit to hulkenberg but in same boat at Riccardio he outqualified stroll after being chucked into the deep end was hugely impressive. but then nothing we didnt already know about how very good he is. for the greatest driver to never sit on the podium, but for me the person under the biggest pressure is latifi got to impress, 6 tenths slower than anyone & 9 tenths slower than albon

what im fasinated about this is as I said during FP2 is that leclerc & Verstappen on the front row is going to be interesting because Hamilton avoided many accidents because he thought better of it live to fight another day until its absolutely necessary. Leclerc wont do that if Verstappen tries a move like he in Spain to pick 1 of the many in 2021. they will collide

Back
Top Bottom