2021 Silly Season

Not earth shattering both been given the boot - Grosjean on his last legs and Magnussen- no one wants him higher up the grid

The wording from Haas about medium and long term future so need 1 driver with money - Mazepin or Perez and probably 1 Ferrari backed driver out of Illot and Schumacher

So for either unless they can force into Williams or Renault its retirement for them. Magnussen had a podium on his debut before Ricciardo ,Verstappen, Sainz, Kyvat, Bottas , Norris and Leclerc. His career has really been unfulfilled if this is the end

Both had much longer careers in F1 than I anticipated. Perez will probably get one of the seats, which is fine as it means George Russell can carry on at Williams. I can see K Mag in Formula E as it suits his "crash, bang, wallop" style of driving. Grosjean will end up in endurance racing and will be about as good as Brendan Hartley.

Last edited:
FIA just cut the super license points requirement to complete in F1 from 40 points to 30 points which means Tsunoda and Mazepin are not going to have any barriers to competing in F1.

That said I don't see room for Tsunoda. I doubt they will get rid of Gasly or Albon, and I could see someone like Perez or Hulkenberg stepping in for Albon, resulting in Albon taking Kvyat's drive.

Last edited:
FIA just cut the super license points requirement to complete in F1 from 40 points to 30 points which means Tsunoda and Mazepin are not going to have any barriers to competing in F1.

That said I don't see room for Tsunoda. I doubt they will get rid of Gasly or Albon, and I could see someone like Perez or Hulkenberg stepping in for Albon, resulting in Albon taking Kvyat's drive.
Its because they are all jumping to Formula E no doubt

Tsunoda I dont have an issue with being in F1 he 'a been a frontrunner. I think Kyvat would get dropped unless he has Russian sponsors .

Red Bull will need to consider Perez or Hulkenberg if they drop Albon

i will defend Grosjean in a way because 2nd half of 2013. he was a brilliant driver & outscored everyone Vettel who won 10 of 11 races & Alonso in the Ferrari. not wrong to say was he was Vettel "rival"

but since 2014. hes never been able to hit the heights of what turned out to be a purple patch
As much people criticize Grosjean's driving in recent years. His first two years he had a front runner and was able to mix it with the best. Pity Genii capital almost bankrupt Team Enstone when they had the Merc engine

i was listen to 5 live as always & they were seemingly sure it was going to be Schumacher & Mazepin at Haas next season because Giovinazzi might save his seat at alfa

but also Haas didnt sound the healthiest financial situation. & i think Gunther Steiner was deadly serious. if budget cap hadnt gone through Haas would've announced they would be pulling out by now

With the situation at Williams developing I wonder if Merc will announce Ocon or Russell as one of their drivers for 2022 or will wait for Hamilton to commit before considering moving Vettel over from 2022 to field one of them at Aston Martin
Off course they could finally drop Bottas as well.

Good work and hard to argue against his retention. He's only 1 point behind the guy he was dumped for so he must be loving that. A great season would be to finish above Albon.

it would. i think ocon deserved a 2nd yr as well. instead of being replaced with gasly. he performed well in that car. but with little pressure & competition

& if they do take Perez which head says is correct although my heart wants hulkenberg. as hes proven talent, great tyre management & will get closer to verstappen then we finally get the answer of whose better gasly or albon in the same car

yeah i wouldve kept Kimi. as he has done well in that car & you need some continuity. but i wouldve put 1 of ferrari driver academy drivers in that seat instead of Giovinazzi

To me the decision by Alfa is too conservative

Giovinazzi - he clearly is a favourite in the Ferrari camp whether that is because of Binotto or he is Italian because he is hardly blowing away Kimi

Kimi - yes he is the last Ferrari world champion and his salary is paid by Ferrari. Come on what else can they achieve him that is better than any of the Ferrari young drivers

I feel sorry for Callum Illott because it's clear Ferrari want Mick Schumacher to progress over him and now his opportunities into F1 have pretty much evaporated

There are two possible explanations for Kimi beating Giovinazzi. One is that Kimi has still "got it", his motivation is as high as ever etc.

I strongly favour the other explanation. After all, here's a guy who spent two of his prime years dicking around in rally cars at Ferrari's expense, when there were F1 drives available. Motivation as high as ever, I'm sure.

I'm afraid I'm of the Helmut Marko school. If the young one isn't fast enough, drop him and plug in another one. One of the best ways of finding talent - and it's not very sophisticated - is giving lots of drivers opportunities.

There are two possible explanations for Kimi beating Giovinazzi. One is that Kimi has still "got it", his motivation is as high as ever etc.

I strongly favour the other explanation. After all, here's a guy who spent two of his prime years dicking around in rally cars at Ferrari's expense, when there were F1 drives available. Motivation as high as ever, I'm sure.

I'm afraid I'm of the Helmut Marko school. If the young one isn't fast enough, drop him and plug in another one. One of the best ways of finding talent - and it's not very sophisticated - is giving lots of drivers opportunities.
Which makes Alfa/ Ferrari's decision baffling given Giovinazzi is in his 2nd year - he should be blowing away Kimi but he has not and at 26 years old Antonio is no longer considered a promising youngster

Binotto now says Ferrari will make a decision about its junior drivers before Abu Dhabi and said there will be opportunities in 2021 if they miss out this time.

The main issue will be if both Shwartzmann and Armstrong put a strong case to be promoted then what given it seems both Haas and Alfa will not have seats left

What about Giovinazzi's career ? He has to wait to 2023 if he wants a Ferrari seat- is he going to wait that long?

Back
Top Bottom