Grand Prix 2021 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Has anyone checked the weather forecast for Sochi? I just have and it looks like it could be wet. This might be good news as the circuit hasn't provided too much in the way of excitement in the 6 previous races. However, after Spa, I think all F1 fans will look at a wet race weekend with a great degree of trepidation. F1 cars can race in the rain, the question is will the powers that be in F1 allow them to. Perhaps the impact of Spa, and the negative reaction to the race that really wasn't, will make them try a little harder to get the race underway.

After the events in Monza we know that Hamilton and Verstappen will be the focus of media attention. Mercedes have a perfect record at Sochi having won all the previous events, even the two races which took place in 1913 and 1914. Max will have to work hard this weekend to challenge the Mercedes, at least the one piloted by Lewis. It will be very interesting to see how Valterri Bottas reacts to losing his seat at Mercedes in 2022, his record at Sochi is very good and whether he will be quite as compliant to any team orders remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Sergio Perez has the reassurance of another year at Red Bull despite not achieving what I'm sure the management team at MK would have hoped of him so may not be there to support Max's efforts to win the race.

Behind these two teams, or perhaps the two No. 1 drivers at the two top teams, Monza showed that F1 can provide close, competitive racing. McLaren will be on a high, Ferrari are getting there. Alpha Tauri and Alpine can push hard from the midfield, Aston Martin and Williams are starting to pick up the pace and with a careful strategy (and a little luck) can pick up some useful points. Alfa Romeo and Haas will also be taking part.

Will it rain? What impact will a wet race have on the two title protagonists? Could Sochi throw up another strange result, such as we saw in Hungary and in Italy? Will Bottas continue to be a good teammate to Hamilton?

There is no sprint race this weekend but there are F3 and F2 races to keep us entertained before the main event. The race is 53 laps and I hope will be entertaining. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The Honda years?
Mclaren Mercedes but in the wet he usually outperform s everyone

A couple of sidenotes Bottas was not doing his wingman duties and just moved over on one of his better tracks . Mercedes aint Ferrari but it would not have gone unnoticed

Perez continues to fail so he is no better

I was thinking now why did not Merc change Hamilton's engine to block Verstappen's progress ?

Stroll actually hit Vettel twice and got penalty points for the Gasly incident and is not far from getting a race ban would you believe- good luck Lawrence

its going to go down to the wire but I think Mclaren and Ferrari might have a thing to say or two if they get in the mix for race wins

here is a question for you we were 3 laps from the 1st british 1-2 at F1 race since when

Canada 2010

Screenshot_20210926-234744_Samsung Internet.jpg

I believe it was Turkey 2010 as the Red Bull's crashed into each other and Button and Hamilton were driving for Mclaren I think otherwise it was Canada 2010

yeah im glad because for me in the rules, i think did he gain an advantage & its clear he didnt he made an attempt make but it was condition not the driver that missed the pits. also dont kick a man while he's down

forgot about bottas for the 1st time in a long time i had huge confidence in him. i thought best performance for 2 years, got his mojo back, at his favourite circuit. but that was terrible & went back to has embarrassing self, to start 18th & but for the rain finish 14th in mercedes with a fresh engine is ridiculous & only making himself look worse. espically when you see what Verstappen could do in the exact same scenario. it proved again the leap from good driver to great driver is a big 1 & 1 he isnt capable of

if people questioned why he was replaced in monza they were reminded in Sochi

Thanks. I was wondering too.

Seems like McLaren should have pitted Danny Ric to test the situation in order the make the call for Norris. Like Mercedes did.
thats why Hamilton came because they gave him too many reasons to ignore. thats what did me on lap 51 when have went from 26 - 18 in half a lap i knew it was over

its very interesting because it how the weather was interpreted on 2.24 - 2:40 is how the race was lost there & then because start of lap 48 we get 2 radio messages almost simultaneously
mclaren to lando - the rain will stay like this until the end of race
Mercedes to lewis - Rain Intensity is increasing

Well of course.... how convenient it is to pick up evidence of Norris' innocence
and at the same time ignore the fact that Norris himself categorically answered
to the command bridge on the radio so that he would not be distracted

Well of course.... how convenient it is to pick up evidence of Norris' innocence
and at the same time ignore the fact that Norris himself categorically answered
to the command bridge on the radio so that he would not be distracted

im always just looking for reasons why, not defending him, the only 11 minutes is there in real time to formed your own opinion

i always think in these situations you have to put yourself in that situation. because we can all the day after when sat on the sofa. say what he should have done, but Norris was going for his maiden win which is tough enough when your 30 secs clear as Button said in 2006 talking about his maiden win. without holding off lewis hamilton 7 time world champion & 1 of greatest drivers F1 has seen, in a much quicker car. baring down on you. then you add in pressure, which in all sport make people do stupid things , lewis hamilton in 2007 lost a title, in probably his most uncharactistic mistake of his career.

i can forgive norris for his rudeness, as of course he was panicking & they arent thinking clearly i defy anyone to not to in that situation. & also he was making the best decision he could at the time & with what turned out to be wrong information he had. if mclaren had mercedes weather forecast then norris wouldve likely come in

im always just looking for reasons why, not defending him, the only 11 minutes is there in real time to formed your own opinion

i always think in these situations you have to put yourself in that situation. because we can all the day after when sat on the sofa. say what he should have done, but Norris was going for his maiden win which is tough enough when your 30 secs clear as Button said in 2006 talking about his maiden win. without holding off lewis hamilton 7 time world champion & 1 of greatest drivers F1 has seen, in a much quicker car. baring down on you. then you add in pressure, which in all sport make people do stupid things , lewis hamilton in 2007 lost a title, in probably his most uncharactistic mistake of his career.

i can forgive norris for his rudeness, as of course he was panicking & they arent thinking clearly i defy anyone to not to in that situation. & also he was making the best decision he could at the time & with what turned out to be wrong information he had. if mclaren had mercedes weather forecast then norris wouldve likely come in
"if was so... it was so..."
I just wanted to say that in your reasoning you are trying to justify the defeat of Norris.
And it is formulated in such a way that you belittle Hamilton's victory.
In fact, Norris does not need any excuses. This is one of the races in his career and
I am sure that he will draw conclusions from what happened.

"if was so... it was so..."
I just wanted to say that in your reasoning you are trying to justify the defeat of Norris.
And it is formulated in such a way that you belittle Hamilton's victory.
In fact, Norris does not need any excuses. This is one of the races in his career and
I am sure that he will draw conclusions from what happened.

i wasnt belittling his victory i was showing that at the same time we had 2 radio messages. where McLaren got it wrong & Mercedes got it right. but this is learning lesson, driver & team will learn from this

Back
Top Bottom