Grand Prix 2021 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Has anyone checked the weather forecast for Sochi? I just have and it looks like it could be wet. This might be good news as the circuit hasn't provided too much in the way of excitement in the 6 previous races. However, after Spa, I think all F1 fans will look at a wet race weekend with a great degree of trepidation. F1 cars can race in the rain, the question is will the powers that be in F1 allow them to. Perhaps the impact of Spa, and the negative reaction to the race that really wasn't, will make them try a little harder to get the race underway.

After the events in Monza we know that Hamilton and Verstappen will be the focus of media attention. Mercedes have a perfect record at Sochi having won all the previous events, even the two races which took place in 1913 and 1914. Max will have to work hard this weekend to challenge the Mercedes, at least the one piloted by Lewis. It will be very interesting to see how Valterri Bottas reacts to losing his seat at Mercedes in 2022, his record at Sochi is very good and whether he will be quite as compliant to any team orders remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Sergio Perez has the reassurance of another year at Red Bull despite not achieving what I'm sure the management team at MK would have hoped of him so may not be there to support Max's efforts to win the race.

Behind these two teams, or perhaps the two No. 1 drivers at the two top teams, Monza showed that F1 can provide close, competitive racing. McLaren will be on a high, Ferrari are getting there. Alpha Tauri and Alpine can push hard from the midfield, Aston Martin and Williams are starting to pick up the pace and with a careful strategy (and a little luck) can pick up some useful points. Alfa Romeo and Haas will also be taking part.

Will it rain? What impact will a wet race have on the two title protagonists? Could Sochi throw up another strange result, such as we saw in Hungary and in Italy? Will Bottas continue to be a good teammate to Hamilton?

There is no sprint race this weekend but there are F3 and F2 races to keep us entertained before the main event. The race is 53 laps and I hope will be entertaining. Enjoy!

Last edited:
1632604549591.png

If the weather is dry as long Hamilton settles after lap1 the race is a foregone conclusion
If its wet then that is different

I wonder if Mazepin will be racy with Verstappen at the back

Do we have another Button in Norris, exceptionally quick in varied conditions, but he doesn't seem to need the perfect car,
i heard norris talked about in glowing terms by palmer who watched him in lower formulae

i think Mercedes have cocked up with bottas in 7th is a roadblock. in 17th max can either take off the start or jump him in the pits

I have had to turn the commentary off. They are driving me crackers. If they become a regular pairing I will hav3 to stop watching.

Hamberg - had he pitted on the lap Hamilton pitted, he would have (likely) won the race. Had he pitted the lap after, he would have got second.
McLaren messed up on giving the weather info though. They should have seen the heavy rainband coming! :( Absolutely gutted for him, but (if McLaren get things right next year), I can see Norris winning a bucketload of races (and could be challenging Hamilton's records by the end of his career).

Hamberg - had he pitted on the lap Hamilton pitted, he would have (likely) won the race. Had he pitted the lap after, he would have got second.
McLaren messed up on giving the weather info though. They should have seen the heavy rainband coming! :( Absolutely gutted for him, but (if McLaren get things right next year), I can see Norris winning a bucketload of races (and could be challenging Hamilton's records by the end of his career).
This is a race Mclaren should have won🤨🙄Feel sorry for Norris if only it was Button in that car...

Back
Top Bottom