Grand Prix 2021 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Has anyone checked the weather forecast for Sochi? I just have and it looks like it could be wet. This might be good news as the circuit hasn't provided too much in the way of excitement in the 6 previous races. However, after Spa, I think all F1 fans will look at a wet race weekend with a great degree of trepidation. F1 cars can race in the rain, the question is will the powers that be in F1 allow them to. Perhaps the impact of Spa, and the negative reaction to the race that really wasn't, will make them try a little harder to get the race underway.

After the events in Monza we know that Hamilton and Verstappen will be the focus of media attention. Mercedes have a perfect record at Sochi having won all the previous events, even the two races which took place in 1913 and 1914. Max will have to work hard this weekend to challenge the Mercedes, at least the one piloted by Lewis. It will be very interesting to see how Valterri Bottas reacts to losing his seat at Mercedes in 2022, his record at Sochi is very good and whether he will be quite as compliant to any team orders remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Sergio Perez has the reassurance of another year at Red Bull despite not achieving what I'm sure the management team at MK would have hoped of him so may not be there to support Max's efforts to win the race.

Behind these two teams, or perhaps the two No. 1 drivers at the two top teams, Monza showed that F1 can provide close, competitive racing. McLaren will be on a high, Ferrari are getting there. Alpha Tauri and Alpine can push hard from the midfield, Aston Martin and Williams are starting to pick up the pace and with a careful strategy (and a little luck) can pick up some useful points. Alfa Romeo and Haas will also be taking part.

Will it rain? What impact will a wet race have on the two title protagonists? Could Sochi throw up another strange result, such as we saw in Hungary and in Italy? Will Bottas continue to be a good teammate to Hamilton?

There is no sprint race this weekend but there are F3 and F2 races to keep us entertained before the main event. The race is 53 laps and I hope will be entertaining. Enjoy!

Last edited:
love to be proven wrong because have we had an exciting race at sochi yet. im thinking bottas maiden win. but im not sure. but only Google seems to be predicting rain for sunday. looked on met office, Accuweather, BBC. all seem to be saying rain for qualifying looks nailed on but sunday is quite dry

i am fasinated by Bottas. because i dont think ive ever been this confident in him. because its his favourite circuit & bottas of 1st half of 2017 has been let loose at monza. if he'd driven like that he wouldnt have been dumped

also i believe its the finale of the F3 season. its a 2 horse race mathematically but Dennis Hauger should wrap it up with 43pt lead with only 59 up for grabs & the 1st 2 races are reverse grids. i think even with 3 DNFs he would take the title. which would be an incredible turnaround from 2020 when he finished outside top 10 in every race bar hungary

Heavy rain for Saturday, lighter rain Sunday. Hope the drainage is good!

1632214767478.png

I wonder if rain can make Sochi less dull than normal ?

Oh I forgot, it’s F1, rain = televised wet track for a couple of hours.

If Verstappen takes an engine penalty is that 13places or 10 places only? There is talk that 3 place grid penalty he got was pointless because he was going to change his engine

Supposedly sunny today, then heavy rain tomorrow and more rain on Sunday. I hope they have some better back up plans than in Belgium otherwise F1 will lose all credibility (or what little it ha left anyway).

Supposedly sunny today, then heavy rain tomorrow and more rain on Sunday. I hope they have some better back up plans than in Belgium otherwise F1 will lose all credibility (or what little it ha left anyway).

from the forecasts ive seen it was dry on friday, quite wet on saturday, dry on sunday but poteinally for a bit like hungary with a wet 10 laps then dry all the way

Back
Top Bottom