Grand Prix 2020 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After its 70th birthday celebrations F1 now moves on for yet another glorious Grand Prix in the newly independent country of Catalonia..........what? It's not? Ok. After its fake 70th birthday celebrations F1 now moves on to the wonderful city of Barcelona in the plague ridden country of Spain. Unfortunately it will put a delay on the season as all the British based personel who attend the race will have to self-isolate for 14 days on their return. I mean there is no way they'll be able to get round that one is there?

Spain is notorious for being a boring race due to all the testing they do on the track and the data they get. Lucky for us and "the show" they weren't able to do the testing their this year due to the high level of people either fighting for their life or falling over and dying with mutated bat disease. Good news for F1 eh? The draw back on that is the Merc cars are roughly around 20,000 light years a lap in front of the rest of the field. However the baking heat might give us some dodgy rubber for Verstappen to jump on and shake that up who knows? If not we can always enjoy the battle for 5th which, as Sky like to tell us, is very exciting.

Local boy (kind of) Carlos Sainz will be hoping to score big in the revived McLaren and to get the better of current wonder kid Lando Norris. The other local hero Fernando Alonso will most likely pop up our of his disinfected sterile bunker to come remind us that he'll be back in F1 next year, Carlos is better than his results suggest and that Renault will be taking on Merc next year.

Spain will probably bring yet more speculation on whether Alex Albon will get to stay in the Red Bull seat. Albon will either qualify well and crash, which will make everyone question his race craft, or qualify crap, come back up through the field and get people saying "if only he could get his qualifying together". The victim of all this last year was Piere Gasly who is currently having a career and media persona turn round and stringing together some great and consistent results. I expect this to continue as well because the guy is happy at the moment and his junior career shows his best stuff comes out when he is comfortable.

Ferrari will most likely continue to face a nightmare with LeClerc maybe pulling out an unlikely result. Sebastian will continue to chug round like me at my old job in that last month when I'd handed my notice in. I mean what was the point? Alfa Romeo will be there too but we'll probably not notice. George Russel will probably do at least three things during the weekend which will make people say "I would love to see what he could do in a competitive car". A Haas will crash after some sort of brake failure and Renault will be either feast or famine.

It will be interesting to see whether F1s only covid victim Sergio Perez will return. If I'm the Spanish authorities I wouldn't let him in. If he doesn't return then the Nico Hulkenberg love in will continue without much substance. It's very similar to the time Nick Heidfeld replaced Kubica last minute at Renault and people were actually putting bets on him to win the title. Everyone seems to love an old dog come back. However I always think of the words of the late great Joe Strummer - "if you've been trying for years we've already heard your song"

So that's my little round up of the race to come. Feel free to expand it with better information than I can give. I hope we all enjoy the multi-millionaires racing round oblivious to a world pandemic in machines that are physically destroying the planet. Enjoy.

what happens to sky f1 team or anyone apart of the F1 Bubble who lives in England, as they are in Spain right now. will they have to self isolate on their return to england because if they had to they will obviously miss Belgian GP. or do they have spend their week off in Spain & Belgium. to be available

what happens to sky f1 team or anyone apart of the F1 Bubble who lives in England, as they are in Spain right now. will they have to self isolate on their return to england because if they had to they will obviously miss Belgian GP. or do they have spend their week off in Spain & Belgium. to be available
I don't care.

rue794976f311.jpg

A full second clear in FP1. That's when they usually sandbag!

Ferrari either low fuel running or their car is specifically designed for the test track.

You can buy bags of them in Ferrari F1 outlet shops, they are little rubbery bags of sweets / candy. They have a rather burnt flavour. I wouldn’t recommend them.

I think the headline for this article either sounds like a road traffic sign or some form of inuendo

It also should be taught in schools as a prime example of a journalist trying to make something completely uninteresting sound interesting.

If the kerbs were as high as the average British Road traffic calming scheme and there was a bed made up of 300 tons of finest gravel waiting for them if they strayed off line then they would never leave the tarmac in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom