2020 Silly Season

That depends I mean Kyvat went from hero to zero after getting a podium to being castigated as a villain. I guess he better not take out Vettel in the next race and cause a crash

Some interesting silly season stories

https://www.planetf1.com/news/grosjean-to-be-fired-haas-keen-on-ocon/

As early as possible by Germany it could happen

Grosjean hasn't been doing well, I know they've not been happy with him, so I guess this could happen.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/bottas-would-be-open-to-ferrari-switch/

Could Ferrari and Mercedes potentially swap Bottas and Vettel ?

I'd be more surprised if this one happens, but this is F1, so who knows?

Il_leone grosjean had been on Rocky road for few years never poor last yr. brilliant at lotus in 2012/13. but 2017 constantly moaning about brake but never gave a solution. 2018 1 points finish in 1st 10 races

i would love to see Hamilton v Vettel at Mercedes. it would be box office & be the thing that gives a legacy. as whoever came out on top could be rightly described as 1 of greatest. but my money would be on hamilton

Some interesting silly season stories

https://www.planetf1.com/news/grosjean-to-be-fired-haas-keen-on-ocon/

As early as possible by Germany it could happen

Well, this one is plausible. There seems to be some detail in the story that makes it look like more than speculation. I still rate Grosjean higher than Magnussen, but Magnussen has been getting the results, and Grosjean definitely has not. On the other hand, as a team owner, I would definitely take Ocon over Grosjean.

A team of Ocon and Magnussen is also going to generate a lot of fireworks.

@ Ruslan I was more alluding to the fact that he has been throughout his career been denied drives - much more competitive ones because he has not had money behind him

That generation between 2008- 2013 from GP2 have not really failed to have sustained success in F1 and are probably going to be the ones that will be miss out which includes Hulkenberg, Grosjean , Perez, Maldonado, Valsechi

@ Ruslan I was more alluding to the fact that he has been throughout his career been denied drives - much more competitive ones because he has not had money behind him

That generation between 2008- 2013 from GP2 have not really failed to have sustained success in F1 and are probably going to be the ones that will be miss out which includes Hulkenberg, Grosjean , Perez, Maldonado, Valsechi

Well, I think part of it was that in 2007 two great drivers showed up, Hamilton and Vettel. And that kind of filled in the remaining top seats. Anyone else arriving after them would have to struggle to find a space at the top. Certainly Hulkenberg, Grosjean and Perez would all be race winners with the right team (and Maldonado was), but when they arrived, the top three teams were already well occupied by Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso. Hard to find a space when those guys are around.

That said...also, the top drivers often never get to GP2/F2. They get tagged and promoted before the get to GP2/F2. This has certainly being going on since Nelson Piquet (Sr.). Lewis Hamilton did one season in GP2, Vettel went from Renault 3.5 to F1, and Verstappen went from F3 to F1. It seems like F2 is the source of the B-team drivers in F1, not the primary source of the top drivers in F1. Leclerc may be the first exception in a long time (still only one season in F2).

Ruslan Its a problem they need to address with F2 . I don't know if it is a cyclical problem passed over from F3000 as only Rosberg and Hamilton could claim that GP2 works given they are the only two world champions from that series and at that time the other equally or more competitive series Nissan 3.5 World Series was a rival and deemed to be better suited to F1

Ruslan Its a problem they need to address with F2 . I don't know if it is a cyclical problem passed over from F3000 as only Rosberg and Hamilton could claim that GP2 works given they are the only two world champions from that series and at that time the other equally or more competitive series Nissan 3.5 World Series was a rival and deemed to be better suited to F1
Well I suspect that about the only way they can address it is to make the super-license dependent entirely on participating and winning in F2. I can’t decide if that is really a good idea or a bad one, but it would be nice if the primary feeder series was actually the primary feeder series. If I was FIA I would definitely bias the superlicense points to favor F2 for sake a making the “ladder” work.

Last edited:
Well I suspect that about the only way they can address it is to make the super-license dependent entirely on participating and winning in F2....

Bang goes another Raikkonen then. There are some drivers who are spotted and given a chance early in life besides which winning in GP2 did not guarentee success, see Palmer.

There was what must have been a record number of drivers upgraded to F1 this season, they are doing very nicely thank you.

I have posted about this a while ago but since F1 drivers stopped racing in F1 and F2 simultaneously, around the late 70's, only Hamilton and Rosberg have ever won the second tier championship and gone on to win the F1 title. Almost all of the other tier 2 championship winnwrs have gone on to enjoy less than successful F1 careers.

In most cases, the best of F1 are discovered in tier 3 formula and fast tracked into F1.

Ok so just checked this because I was interested. Lewis Hamilton is the only F1 world champion in the last 26 years that has won a title at the 3rd tier of Motorsport.

So if only 2 have won from Formula 2 and 1 from Formula 3 then you could make an argument that junior formula's are completely pointless and they should maybe just scout the M25 instead.

Well apparently the next F1 world champion could come from E Sports given that you need to physically be at a race track to ply your trade and learn it through the virtual world

I have posted about this a while ago but since F1 drivers stopped racing in F1 and F2 simultaneously, around the late 70's, only Hamilton and Rosberg have ever won the second tier championship and gone on to win the F1 title. Almost all of the other tier 2 championship winnwrs have gone on to enjoy less than successful F1 careers.

In most cases, the best of F1 are discovered in tier 3 formula and fast tracked into F1.

maybe but look at last year Leclerc russell albon & Norris all from F2 last 2 yrs ago

Back
Top Bottom