2020 Silly Season

Is Fanny still used as a woman's nickname?

It's the nickname for a ladies front bottom in the UK.

The term actually derived from the Navy who use the term Fanny to describe a large cooking pot. When turned upside down they made a hand seat hence "to sit on your fanny". The yanks adopted the term to mean bum and we used it to describe the lady garden.

I used to work with a young French lady called Fanny. There was a board in the office which she had to sign out to say where she was in the building when not at her desk. Amongst my favourites were Fanny Lab, Fanny Booth Testing and Fanny Polishes.

Back in the 2020 Silly Season world, Mercedes will release Ocon if anyone comes along and says they want to give him a drive. Does this mean the second Merc seat is out?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-prepared-to-release-ocon-from-contract/

And Alonso and McLaren have parted ways, so I presume this means no comeback to F1 with them. Who else might want the Spaniard?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...er-partnership-mclaren-after-indy-500-debacle

Or have they?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-mocks-mclaren-split-rumours/

Someone was obviously dropping hints to the press that Verstappen would consider moving if Red Bull - Honda combination did not work. In that case if you are telling me that neither Ferrari or Mercedes would be interested in his services and enter a bidding war then Verstappen's agent needs to be fired then for creating an own goal for Max

The reality is off course they would be interested just like Alonso kept everyone hunging around for 2007-2008 silly season... just about every team who could afford him were offering mega money to sign him. Now for Verstappen only Mercedes and Ferrari could afford his wages but neither would want the other to sign him to beat them

Mclaren confirm Sainz and Norris for 2020 which is significant for Ocon who now sees one option cut off and Gasly knows that Sainz aint going to replace him as some suggests

..... Would Sainz have a buy out clause then for Red Bull to re-sign him then?

To be honest Ocon was never going to McLaren and Sainz was never going to Red Bull any other place than in media land. McLaren were always going to keep the same line up for next year unless things went drastically wrong....otherwise what would have been the point in investing in it in the first place?

Ocon will be driving Formula E in November.

id said prior. i just dont see an opening for him in F1. Ocon in Formula E not the worst thing more than capable to challenge for the title & paffett is replaceable. wait til 2021

F1Brits_90 I still think Ocon will end up at Renault because they've been trying to get him only for Toto to say no.

I am not sure Renault will be happy to take Gasly off Red Bull in a swap for Hulkenberg given the relations between the two teams

JEV aint coming back to F1 now he is enjoying Formula E to be an also ran. Jack Aitken probably needs another season in F2 before Renault seriously think of putting him in the F1 team

The Mclaren announcement pretty much confirms Alonso is finished with F1 and there is no chance of him coming back

Mercedes Formula E team - I think they will stick with Vandoorne and Paffett because those are the guys testing the car unless the board demands a German driver or a junior driver

Renault will be Hulkenberg and Ricciardo next year. Don't see any reason why they would swap it out. The 'pressure to get a French driver' thing is a myth. They've had plenty of chances and people to do this with and never have so why should they start doing it now when they have one of the strongest driver pairings on the grid?

Lots of things wrong at Renault - the drivers ain't one of them.

the French driver for Renault is myth its like Mercedes & german driver thing. when they have Austrian team boss, American English & Finnish drivers. there next 2 prospects are French & English

I like Hulkenburg he is the greatest F1 driver certainly to never be on the podium & potentially to never win a F1 race. I think it would be big loss to lose him. I hate to say Aitken wont make F1 unless something drastic happens like winning titles which looks very unlikely

But I think they are talking about his contract for 2021. I gather he has a two year deal with Renault. It is Hulkenberg who is out of a contract for 2020.

You're probably right and I misread it. It wouldn't be the first time.

RasputinLives

When Vasseur was running the team he wanted drivers he knew from his GP2 and GP3 days who have ability and can win races like Hulkenberg and Bottas being considered

Last year until Ricciardo did his swerve , it was believed Ocon would be the man to take the 2nd seat.

Hulkenberg out of contract makes it easier to get Ocon as long as Toto has no issues with it

F1Brits_90 They aint any decent German drivers left on the grid that Mercedes could sign which would please the board. Vettel is the only that ticks all the boxes that they are looking for but he does not want to leave Ferrari unless he will get booted out

It was never believed that Ocon would take the second seat. Merc tried to negotiate him into the Renault seat. In the words of Public Enemy - don't believe the hype!

"It’s summer, so that means it’s driver-market silly-season time. And one of the focuses of speculation is a man who is not even in a car this season.

Mercedes reserve driver Esteban Ocon, who is on the sidelines this year after being the last man standing in last year’s game of musical chairs, is a man in demand, with Renault, Haas and Alfa Romeo all being mentioned as possible destination. And Racing Point cannot be ruled out either, if Sergio Perez and his Mexican backers decide it’s time to move on."

If Ocon had all 4 offers - which should he pick ? Interesting that two of them are Ferrari powered teams

Back
Top Bottom