Grand Prix 2020 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2020 Russian GP will be the 7th time the F1 circus has visited Sochi and on all previous occasions the race has been won by a driver in a Mercedes Benz. There were two previous Russian Grands Prix, way back in 1913 and 1914, and both of these were also won by a Benz. I suspect, barring some major incident or accident, we will see a Mercedes win in 2020 and most likely car 44.

Russia has tried to organise a GP in the modern era quite a few times before we got to Sochi. A street race around Moscow was mooted back in the 80's, the Moscow Raceway was completed in 2012 and a variety of different formula and motorcycle races were held but never F1. 2010 saw the first Russian driver in F1, when Vitaly Petrov drove for Renault, and this added impetus to getting a Russian event up and running.

Bernie Ecclestone wanted it either in Moscow or Sochi, host of the 2014 Winter Olympics, and so the Sochi Autodrom was born, set in the Olympic Park.

We have seen some wild incidents in the last two races. The start at Sochi has given us some moments, including the infamous "torpedo" involving Sebastian Vettel and Dani Kyvat. Unfortunately the rest of the races, with the exception of 2015, have been fairly processional and I have a feeling 2020 is likely to be the same. Perhaps Pirelli can bring some dodgy rubber along to equip the teams but after the problems encountered at many races this year I expect the Italian tyre company to be very conservative on a street circuit. Failing rubber and close walls do not good bed fellows make for F1 cars.

What else can I tell you? I'm told Sochi is a wonderful city and it is well worth visiting its historic monuments, including the fountain of Cupid in the Arboretum and the monument to Peter 1st in the seaport. Mount Akhun sits in the Khostinsky District of Sochi and is 663m high.

Enjoy

As long as Mercs don't take each other out they will lap the whole field ! Bottas on top on a track he likes

3rd place is up for grabs between Renualt, Mclaren, Racing Point adn Red Bull

Hmm Stroll down in 17th nearly 1 second slower than Perez

i fear we are more in for race like the 1st 3 & not the last 3. but if we get a toe to toe battle between Lewis & Bottas. then we could still be exciting

ive got to have a quick one here. ill be more detailed later but something come up. im might have to restart by fatwa as i think someone called it. on bottas. i think like leclerc v kimi in 2018. toto wolff has made a mistake in not promoting russell. this is bottas "favourite" track & not only did he get outqualified by 7 tenths. he got beaten by verstappen in car that no where near that mercedes. that is poor & in championship its only the fact that verstappen has retired from the last 2. that bottas is 2nd

he shouldve been replaced . ok maybe russell was too soon because he only just started to race other cars in F1 but has the expierence from the feeder series. he's not good enough we all make the excuse about being teammates to 1 of the top 3 greatest drivers ever to drive in F1 in last 40 years. but i think he would lose to half that grid right now.

Last edited:
We almost had the makings of a good race, if Hamilton hadn’t made the flag in Q2 he would have started from near the back, and we could have watched him carving up the field.
Instead he’s on pole ........ again. 😔

ive got to have a quick one here. ill be more detailed later but something come up. im might have to restart by fatwa as i think someone called it. on bottas. i think like leclerc v kimi in 2018. toto wolff has made a mistake in not promoting russell. this is bottas "favourite" track & not only did he get outqualified by 7 tenths. he got beaten by verstappen in car that no where near that mercedes. that is poor & in championship its only the fact that verstappen has retired from the last 2. that bottas is 2nd

he shouldve been replaced . ok maybe russell was too soon because he only just started to race other cars in F1 but has the expierence from the feeder series. he's not good enough we all make the excuse about being teammates to 1 of the top 3 greatest drivers ever to drive in F1 in last 40 years. but i think he would lose to half that grid right now.
Which is what I concur as Mercedes has re-signed the wrong driver for next season. There was talk that Verstappen might exercise his clause in the Red Bull contract.

Bottas must be glad he has a contract in place but does not mean he can't be paid off

That lap by Hamilton could only be described as Senna-esque. I do belief Mercedes will face a problem in the future if they don't have back up plans in place beside possibly getting Verstappen

Seriously considering Vettel for 2022 as a Hamilton replacement should be way down the list

Gasly should be facing a penalty for qualifying - he tried to prevent cars behind him from making it to the start before the time ran out by dawdling down the pitlane...

i thought that was weird. because i understand about leaving a gap but teams talk 5 seconds not 20+ did seem quite weird

Il_leone just as perez about contract he had a 3 year contract ;)

Last edited:
Ei2ATBOWsAIW4vn

Back
Top Bottom