Grand Prix 2020 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2020 Russian GP will be the 7th time the F1 circus has visited Sochi and on all previous occasions the race has been won by a driver in a Mercedes Benz. There were two previous Russian Grands Prix, way back in 1913 and 1914, and both of these were also won by a Benz. I suspect, barring some major incident or accident, we will see a Mercedes win in 2020 and most likely car 44.

Russia has tried to organise a GP in the modern era quite a few times before we got to Sochi. A street race around Moscow was mooted back in the 80's, the Moscow Raceway was completed in 2012 and a variety of different formula and motorcycle races were held but never F1. 2010 saw the first Russian driver in F1, when Vitaly Petrov drove for Renault, and this added impetus to getting a Russian event up and running.

Bernie Ecclestone wanted it either in Moscow or Sochi, host of the 2014 Winter Olympics, and so the Sochi Autodrom was born, set in the Olympic Park.

We have seen some wild incidents in the last two races. The start at Sochi has given us some moments, including the infamous "torpedo" involving Sebastian Vettel and Dani Kyvat. Unfortunately the rest of the races, with the exception of 2015, have been fairly processional and I have a feeling 2020 is likely to be the same. Perhaps Pirelli can bring some dodgy rubber along to equip the teams but after the problems encountered at many races this year I expect the Italian tyre company to be very conservative on a street circuit. Failing rubber and close walls do not good bed fellows make for F1 cars.

What else can I tell you? I'm told Sochi is a wonderful city and it is well worth visiting its historic monuments, including the fountain of Cupid in the Arboretum and the monument to Peter 1st in the seaport. Mount Akhun sits in the Khostinsky District of Sochi and is 663m high.

Enjoy

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.10.20 AM.png

i will say that bee was disappointing. because i was chuffed to bits with bottas. i thought brilliant we finally got a bit of fight from him. he's got his elbows out. he's showing lewis im not going to be a pushover any more. if your going to win your going to do this the hard way. fantastic

then post race interview "yeah i outbraked myself, as a bee hit me"

for god sake bottas :givemestrength::sleeping:

Many years ago I was going down a hill at speed on my bike when a bee hit and then stung me F1Brits_90 . The next morning my face was so swollen that my right eye was fully closed and the left one mostly closed.

Do not take bees lightly.

Many years ago I was going down a hill at speed on my bike when a bee hit and then stung me F1Brits_90 . The next morning my face was so swollen that my right eye was fully closed and the left one mostly closed.

Do not take bees lightly.

i know bees can be very dangerous. but i was more disappointed that it took that for bottas to not wimp out at the 1st corner.

When I had a buggy out in Cyprus driving about in shorts a hornet flew up my shorts left leg, I can assure you braking distances were not on any agenda LOL

This event was spotlighted in Drive to Survive (episode 3, I believe) - Whilst I think that the second Mercedes seat is currently being wasted by Bottas, it's not surprising that the doesn't perform, given the way the team treats him.

After the race Toto Wolff didn't go to celebrate with Bottas, but instead ran to the stewards office to complain about Hamilton's penalty (which was a slam-dunk).

By the time Bottas got back to the Mercedes garage, all of the engineers had cleared out, and he had a crate of heineken to celebrate on his own.

After the race Toto Wolff didn't go to celebrate with Bottas, but instead ran to the stewards office to complain about Hamilton's penalty (which was a slam-dunk).
Exactly what Ron Dennis did for Senna at the 89 Japanese GP which would have kept Senna in the hunt for the title if the appeal had been successful. As it was, Prost was world champion.

Definitely the mother of all team relationship breakdowns.

Exactly what Ron Dennis did for Senna at the 89 Japanese GP which would have kept Senna in the hunt for the title of the appeal had been successful. As it was, Prost was world champion.

Definitely the mother of all team relationship breakdowns.
I would have thought the walk outs with Enzo top it all because Prost announced he was going and joining Ferrari . To add insult to injury Prost threw his winners trophy to the Tifosi winning the eace at Senna's expense.

Certainly does not top the fall out Lauda had back in 1977

-‐-------

Apparently Bottas considered quitting over Team Orders / "Wingman" treatment back in 2018

its not great admittedly that the boss is favouring 1 driver over the other. but can you blame him when he knows only 1 will likely deliver a championship & you have to back the winning horse

Apparently Bottas considered quitting over Team Orders / "Wingman" treatment back in 2018

on this you earn the privilege of team orders through the season. by competing over 20 races not just 1 offs sporadically over a season. which had been bottas problem upto that race. cant forget bottas was nowhere going into sochi. lewis had 7 wins to Bottas 0 & was 110pts ahead of bottas in the title race. but only 40pts ahead of vettel. & its not like he upped his game afterwards he finished 5th in championship behind verstappen & both Ferrari in the same machinery that Hamilton won 11 races in. which just 2018 is still 2 more than bottas has in his entire career at Mercedes

This event was spotlighted in Drive to Survive (episode 3, I believe) - Whilst I think that the second Mercedes seat is currently being wasted by Bottas, it's not surprising that the doesn't perform, given the way the team treats him.

By the time Bottas got back to the Mercedes garage, all of the engineers had cleared out, and he had a crate of heineken to celebrate on his own.

I have a feeling this was a bit misleading. Mercedes always has win celebrations with a team photo. I think Netflix didn't show that but showed this instead.

on this you earn the privilege of team orders through the season. by competing over 20 races not just 1 offs sporadically over a season. which had been bottas problem upto that race. cant forget bottas was nowhere going into sochi. lewis had 7 wins to Bottas 0 & was 110pts ahead of bottas in the title race. but only 40pts ahead of vettel. & its not like he upped his game afterwards he finished 5th in championship behind verstappen & both Ferrari in the same machinery that Hamilton won 11 races in. which just 2018 is still 2 more than bottas has in his entire career at Mercedes
He is delusional if he thinks he can compete for the title against Lewis. They aren't in the same league. He should either just accept being number two, or go somewhere else.

P1 i think in the nicest possible way all sportsman have to be delusional. because otherwise your accepting defeat & you might as well retire. im sure albon still thought it was possible to beat verstappen or russell could get into the points in a Williams

Last edited:
Watching that episode I thought Bottas looked exhausted and after the beatings he's taken, no wonder.

The fact that Bono had told Hamilton it was ok was a complicating factor, surely? Slightly different when the team is at fault.

Bottas having given Max a tow in qualifying to deny the team a front row lockout isn't likely to have endeared him much either.

I have a feeling this was a bit misleading. Mercedes always has win celebrations with a team photo. I think Netflix didn't show that but showed this instead.
Interestingly, the closest there is (on Instagram) is this:

Other races, they have the group photo...

Back
Top Bottom