Grand Prix 2019 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Onwards to Sochi in one of those frustrating season where we do have three teams in the mix for wins but somehow we have absolutely no title fight kicking off whatsoever. Hamilton has not even had to do his usual post summer blitz to get his massive title lead but has merely gone into Alain Prost mode where he just picks up podiums and consistant results whilst the others go up and down. His nearest rival is his own team mate and he is being anchored down by his own team from challenging Lewis because they are scared of their drivers getting in each others way and giving wins away to Red Bull and Ferrari. So Lewis is laughing and two and half race wins in front in the championship.

So no title fight but we are getting good racing for once. If Ferrari had not messed up so badly with set up and strategy at the begining of the season then it's clear they would have been in contention with Merc, certainly with LeClerc anyways. After Charlie boy was politically swindled out of his third win in a row last time out I'm fully expecting him to drive angry in Russia, which was something he did often in his GP3 and F3 days. It is impressively fast but often ends with a smash. His illustrious team mate has been a shadow of his former self all year but suddenly turned up when he hasn't all year at Singapore. If we ignore the strategy swindle you have to say Vettel had an impressive weekend and drove beautifully. The worrying thing for him was though that even on form he only beat his young team mate via strategy rather than pace. It's possible the win might inspire a revival though. I genuinely hope so as would love to see an on form Vettel mixing it with Hamilton, LeClerc and Verstappen.

Speaking of Max I'm giving his own paragraph to officially doth my cap to him. All year he has been consistently fast, he's had race craft, he's had guile and he has basically looked like the complete racing driver. This is something i've never seen before and often wondered if I would see. Don't get me wrong I always knew he was a fantastic driver on his day but now I see he can do it over a season. Respects to you sir.

Away from the main contenders I'm paying close attention to some of the midfield drivers at the moment as there is a change in the wind. The much maligned Antonio Giovanazzi has found a lot of pace since the summer break. Whilst he has a tendency to get into an accident and not get the results from it the old adage is that it's better to have a fast driver that crashes than a slow driver who plays it safe. Maybe it's time we reassessed him. Similarly we might need to have a look at Piere Gasly too. Before the season started the media decided the story was that Gasly was under pressure and might be dropped. Low and behold it happened! However he is now at Torro Rosso and has had some quality drives (Singapore was probably his best drive in F1) whilst his replacement at Red Bull Albon has not really got much better result than Piere did. Maybe Gasly is going to show he is a capable driver just that most people going head to head with Max Verstappen are going to look ordinary.

So that's the runners and riders but what of Sochi? Well unfortunately it's a pretty dull track with one really good corner. I think last year it may have had no overtakes at all. However it's very harsh to blame the circuit because some of the best GP2 and GP3 races I have ever seen have been held he where the cars were three wide going through turn 3 on nearly every lap. So will the racing improve with the front teams now closer? Maybe. Unfortunately we won't have the Singapore effect where the middle teams are brought close enough to the action to influence it but we may get a few fiesty moves.

Who is going to win? Well I'll let you guys debate that but how about this? Have the rubles been put down by the great Bear hunter? Will we suddenly see the track clear and a certain Dani Kvyat come to the front to complete one of greatest F1 comebacks of all time? I'd love to see that race so let's hope so!

Last edited:
Leclerc is dreaming if he thinks it was him who let Vettel though (a guy from P3), while having his hands full with Hamilton. Blocking Vettel would let Mercedes through and it was all over on the first lap. Internet is buzzing how Vettel is disobeying his team's orders, transcript however suggesting, that Leclerc was out of the position for positions swap, and not able to catch Vettel who just drummed away. I think that struggle would have continued after pitstops. I fear this is going to get ugly in remaining races. If ferrari will ask Vettel to play second fiddle next year, I am not sure he will stay.

Last edited:
Leclerc is dreaming if he thinks it was him who let Vettel though (a guy from P3), while having his hands full with Hamilton. Blocking Vettel would let Mercedes through and it was all over on the first lap. Internet is buzzing how Vettel is disobeying his team's orders, transcript however suggesting, that Leclerc was out of the position for positions swap, and not able to catch Vettel who just drummed away. I think that struggle would have continued after pitstops. I fear this is going to get ugly in remaining races. If ferrari will ask Vettel to play second fiddle next year, I am not sure he will stay.

level of entitlement not surprising for a kid from Monaco.

Before anyone starts rewriting history, here are the important radio transcript parts regarding Vettel and LecClerc:

Lap 2 (SC)
Xavier Marcos Padros to Charles Leclerc: "We are looking into doing the swap partway into the race."
Leclerc to Padros: "Yeah yeah, no problem, this I understand."

Lap 6
Padros to Leclerc: "Sebastian will let you by next lap."
Sebastian Vettel to Riccardo Adami: "I would have got him anyways. But let's break away for another two laps."

Lap 7
Adami to Vettel: "Let Charles by."
Vettel to Adami: "He'll have to close up."

Lap 8
Adami to Vettel: “Let him by, gap is 1.4 seconds."
Leclerc to Padros: "You put me behind. I respected everything. We will speak later. But now it is difficult to close the gap obviously."

Lap 10
Adami to Vettel: “You are the fastest car on-track, head down, you are doing well. We are looking into Plan C, Charles is 1.9 behind."
Laurent Mekies to Leclerc: "Charles, we will do the swap later on. Lewis is a bit close, and we want to push now into the race. We will do it later, just focus on your race, thank you."
Leclerc to Mekies: "I completely understand. The only thing is that I respected. I gave the slipstream, no problems. But then I tried to push at the beginning of the race, but it's no problems. Manage the situation."

It is absolutely clear that there was a pre race agreement that LeClerc would help Vettel in the opening lap to get the jump on Hamilton. As usual Ferrari stuffed things up and then Vettel does what he's done a number of times in the past and just ignores everything.

Of course every Vettel fan will say he was quicker and Leclerc should have closed up and if Charles was genuinely quicker he would have got by anyway etc etc.

The relationship between the two drivers now appears to be severly damaged.

Before anyone starts rewriting history, here are the important radio transcript parts regarding Vettel and LecClerc:

Lap 2 (SC)
Xavier Marcos Padros to Charles Leclerc: "We are looking into doing the swap partway into the race."
Leclerc to Padros: "Yeah yeah, no problem, this I understand."

Lap 6
Padros to Leclerc: "Sebastian will let you by next lap."
Sebastian Vettel to Riccardo Adami: "I would have got him anyways. But let's break away for another two laps."

Lap 7
Adami to Vettel: "Let Charles by."
Vettel to Adami: "He'll have to close up."

Lap 8
Adami to Vettel: “Let him by, gap is 1.4 seconds."
Leclerc to Padros: "You put me behind. I respected everything. We will speak later. But now it is difficult to close the gap obviously."

Lap 10
Adami to Vettel: “You are the fastest car on-track, head down, you are doing well. We are looking into Plan C, Charles is 1.9 behind."
Laurent Mekies to Leclerc: "Charles, we will do the swap later on. Lewis is a bit close, and we want to push now into the race. We will do it later, just focus on your race, thank you."
Leclerc to Mekies: "I completely understand. The only thing is that I respected. I gave the slipstream, no problems. But then I tried to push at the beginning of the race, but it's no problems. Manage the situation."

It is absolutely clear that there was a pre race agreement that LeClerc would help Vettel in the opening lap to get the jump on Hamilton. As usual Ferrari stuffed things up and then Vettel does what he's done a number of times in the past and just ignores everything.

Of course every Vettel fan will say he was quicker and Leclerc should have closed up and if Charles was genuinely quicker he would have got by anyway etc etc.

The relationship between the two drivers now appears to be severly damaged.
Well, there was Monza, and there is Vettel who is not very good taking orders. I am with Vettel on this. Leclerc has his head swollen at the moment, and it will be good if he realizes he is on his own, just as Vettel is, and always was.

Discussion is one thing, situation on the track is other. Leclerc was slow. That's his problem alone. Vettel radioed back he will let him, but (first) he has to catch him. Ferrari scr** Vettel in pits anyway and put him behind. They did the same to him in Singapore. His pitstop was slower than Leclerc's. There will be bad blood, as Torger predicted.

Lewis won, kudos to him :thumbsup:

The first ambition in any team is to beat your team mate and Lewis has, once again, destroyed Bottas and this is Valtteri 2.0.

If Vettel thought he was good enough to beat his team mate in a fair fight then he shouldn't have agreed to the pre race plan to get him past Hamilton.

Once he agreed to the plan he should have honoured the agreement.

Once again it proves who and what he is.

After the race, Vettel seemed to suggest there was a loose conversation, before the race, about slip stream and swapping back. But, it seemed from what he said, there was nothing definite.

Interesting race....not a great race, but interesting.

Two questions:

1. If Vettel had given up his position to Leclerc on lap seven, would Leclerc have had the lead after the pits stops (I think so)?
2. Could Vettel/Ferrari have chosen where to pull off the car and either forced or not forced a safety car (I think so)?

Four comments:
1. Multi 21: Trying to get Vettel to work with a competitive teammate reminds me of Bruce the vegetarian White Shark in Finding Nemo. It sounds like it will work until he gets a sniff of blood.
2. Binotto has managed to mis-manage and throw away another race even though he had the slightly superior car.
3. The rest of this season and 2020 will be real interesting. Vettel will probably not be with Ferrari in 2021.
4. Poor Leclerc. Now he has no choice but to become a self-centered *******. He cannot work with his teammate.

Results:
1. Hamilton: Another great race. Won by his own driving and Ferrari's failed "strategy". Probably driver of the race.
2. Bottas: At least he did not get passed. He is only 34 points ahead of Leclerc for second in the championship, and Ferrari has the better cars and there are 5 races left. Hamilton may have to help him out.
3. Leclerc: Did not pass Bottas.
4. Verstappen: Another great race from the new Verstappen. Don't see the old Verstappen too often.
5. Albon: Worked his way up with a superior car, with a little drama. Good work.
6. Sainz: I was getting enamored with Lando. I guess I should not write off Sainz too quickly.
7. Perez: As always, there at the end. Still one of the three or so best drivers not with the big three.
8. Lando Norris: Not sure why he ended up back in 8th.
9. Magnussen: Good drive. Can only imagine what the faster Grosjean would have done.
10. Hulkenberg/Giovinazzi: Just showing that he still belongs, while Giovinazzi demonstrates why a seat may still be available.
12/14: Kvyat/Gasly: Kvyat again demonstrates that he is the second best driver in the Red Bull stable.

It is absolutely clear that there was a pre race agreement that LeClerc would help Vettel in the opening lap to get the jump on Hamilton.

How did Leclerc help Vettel pass Hamilton at the start? to me what Leclerc did was slightly different, ie he didn't get in the way of Vettel, pity Vettel was much quicker and he passed him.

So Vettel owed Leclerc one (a bit like at Monza wher), that's fair enough. The problem is that Leclerc wasn't very fast on his first set of tyres, I have never seen a team asking their faster driver to pull over to let the slower one take the lead, unless the guy chasing is the lead driver and needs some help with the WDC. Sadly for Leclerc he's not the #1 driver and he's no longer in the running for the WDC (although one has to admit that he could have been if a few races in the first half of the season had gone in another way). Therefore what Ferrari did was waste they chance. They deliberately let Vettel out, despite the fact that he clearly said over the radio that his tyres were shot, so that Leclerc could pass him.

I understand that Ferrari might have some reasons for not being happy with Vettel's 2019 performance, fair enough, but to me it looks as if they are very openly telling him to look for something else, they were ready to lose a race (let's forget for a second that his car shortly afterwards broke down) just to make sure that Vettel knows that he's Leclerc's new butler

After the race, Vettel seemed to suggest there was a loose conversation, before the race, about slip stream and swapping back. But, it seemed from what he said, there was nothing definite.
It was quite definite that's why they switched positions during the pit stop phase. It would have been absolutely ludicrous to swap before the pit stop phase because Leclerc would have only backed Vettel into Hamilton. He couldn't get within DRS range of Vettel.

I understand that Ferrari might have some reasons for not being happy with Vettel's 2019 performance, fair enough, but to me it looks as if they are very openly telling him to look for something else, they were ready to lose a race (let's forget for a second that his car shortly afterwards broke down) just to make sure that Vettel knows that he's Leclerc's new butler
Even if he is Leclerc's butler now, he only has himself to blame. He's been out-qualified in 11 consecutive races and has made plenty of mistakes this season. He needs to get his act together and start beating Leclerc again to prove he's worthy of being the number 1. The clocks ticking.

Interesting race....not a great race, but interesting.

Two questions:

1. If Vettel had given up his position to Leclerc on lap seven, would Leclerc have had the lead after the pits stops (I think so)?
2. Could Vettel/Ferrari have chosen where to pull off the car and either forced or not forced a safety car (I think so)?

Four comments:
1. Multi 21: Trying to get Vettel to work with a competitive teammate reminds me of Bruce the vegetarian White Shark in Finding Nemo. It sounds like it will work until he gets a sniff of blood.
2. Binotto has managed to mis-manage and throw away another race even though he had the slightly superior car.
3. The rest of this season and 2020 will be real interesting. Vettel will probably not be with Ferrari in 2021.
4. Poor Leclerc. Now he has no choice but to become a self-centered *******. He cannot work with his teammate.

re your questions:
1 how could Leclerc lead the race if he was significantly slower that Vettel? that's what I don't understand, Lerclerc didn't had a chance, he quite simply didn't have Hamilton's pace
2 when the hybrid thing goes they are supposed to stop asap in order to prevent the engine from breaking down, it's a street circuit I wonder where Vettel should have stopped.

re your comments:
1 it seems that a number of you guys argue you case strating from the assumption that Vettel has to be Leclerc's wingman, that is not the case, Ferrari is letting their drivers race each other, today Vettel was significantly faster than Leclerc, why is that a problem?
2 Binotto should resign, he came up with a car that needed half a season to be set up properly, he has mismanaged his drivers on almost every race since the summer break and today he wasted a possible victory
3 how can Vettel stay in 2020? to me it looks as if he's not welcome there, Ferrari has found a driver who can win the WDC (because Leclerc is seriously good) and so Vettel is no longer needed
4 well his team mate was instrumental in his first win, then he got the pole that helped him to get his second win thanks to his team mate (and didn't return the favour as had been agreed) and then got upset because on two races his team mate was faster than him

If Vettel thought he was good enough to beat his team mate in a fair fight then he shouldn't have agreed to the pre race plan to get him past Hamilton.

Once he agreed to the plan he should have honoured the agreement.

Once again it proves who and what he is.
He's shown us that he's like any other racing driver whose name isn't Bottas.

Back
Top Bottom