Grand Prix 2018 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

23rd February 2014.

The Russian team marches into the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi, having equalled the Soviet Union's record of 13 gold medals at a single Winter Olympic Games, top of the medal table. The organisers even found the time to self-deprecate the technical failure at the Opening Ceremony when one of the Olympic rings did not open.

Four years later, Russia would officially be banned from the Winter Olympics. Its tally of golds is down to eleven.

7th July 2018

Igor Akinfeev is captain of Russia's national football team, who have got much further than anyone expected in the World Cup. He is facing up to a penalty from Ivan Rakitic of Croatia and Barcelona at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi. If Rakitic scores, Croatia will face England in a semi-final in Moscow. Otherwise, Russia still have a chance.

This time, even as Akinfeev dives the wrong way, Russia have made friends in defeat.

So Sochi has hosted two events guaranteed to make your city (and surely thus your country) a sporting centre of the world - the Olympics and the World Cup. And the third item on that list...

Vladimir Putin is, in many ways, a show-off. It is important to him to show that he is a strong man, and by extension that the nation that he most certainly rules is a strong nation. And what do those internationally recognised strong nations do? They host events. Which are the most visible events? Sporting ones.

The Soviet Union hosted the Olympics, of course, in 1980. The Olympics were, until the fall of Eastern Communism, amateur. However, the World Cup was just too professional for the USSR to host, and Formula One was thus right out. A sport for the wealthy, requiring sponsors and capital? Where one of the drivers would eventually become the 7th Earl of Bute?

Putin's Russia has no such inhibitions. It is entirely comfortable with certain people making huge sums of money, particularly those who would support the government. It is entirely comfortable with Mercedes, Ferrari and Rolex turning up, for it is comfortable with the people who'd buy those products. Whether Putin has Red Bull for breakfast is unknown, however.

It does seem that he doesn't actually want to watch any sport he's holding. Is this why he tends to turn up with 20 laps remaining, or is that so the cameras get a chance to linger as he presses the flesh and enters the main stand? He was there for the opener and the final of the World Cup only, and one would have thought he'd have brought an umbrella for the presidents of France and Croatia during the trophy presentation. He probably thought the fact that only was dry made him seem the most important. In fact, it simply looked like Macron and Grabar-Kitarovic actually wanted to be there.

So, Sochi. Is it worth visiting? Well, the Wikipedia page does not state the height of the spire of St. Michael's Cathedral but it has certainly been worth a visit for the Mercedes drivers over the four years it has held a Grand Prix. They are yet to lose, although Sebastian Vettel was on pole position last year. It would be ironic if this was the race at which Ferrari regained composure.

Has this Grand Prix contributed to the image of Russia as a legitimate player? I suspect your answer will be decided by whose news you're watching.

132235.jpg

really? I thought that it was the other way round if you consider what happened when Ferrari told Barrichello to let MS through in Austria 2002, I'm surprised that you make such a claim

I'm not, because when I think of Massa at Ferrari during a German GP. Being given that infamous call from Rob Smedley that, " Fernando is faster than you."

olegg If I was Bottas I'd actually be worried about things given Mercedes have Ocon and Russell waiting in the wings

The team photo - " Am I piggy in the middle?"

I know Toto was saying Mercedes will need to re-evaluate their young driver programme but puting George Russell is part of the team photo says one thing - He is part of Mercedes ' future

I'm not, because when I think of Massa at Ferrari during a German GP. Being given that infamous call from Rob Smedley that, " Fernando is faster than you."

And there was an almighty kerfuffle about that. It even resulted in the rule about team orders being changed.

Please, stop to say that! :)
Thank you.

The narrative of the media and Mercedes of Ferrari being the strongest team is complete garbage. The cars are and have been more or less equal over the season and looking at the qualifyings and races Mercedes has actually had the edge over Ferrari. Spa was the only race which Ferrari/ Vettel dominanted to a certain degree. Mercedes have normally finished ahead of the Ferrari’s quite comfortably and if they weren’t leading the Ferrari’s they were always quite close.
It doesn’t suit the narrative to mention those facts though and not to mention three faults of Mercedes/ Hamilton which made Ferrari look stronger than they were in Canada, Austria and Hockenheim. Hamilton lacked the pace in Canada and in Hockenheim he would’ve started at least ahead of Bottas, given that he is usually faster, had he not had a hydraulic issue. Mercedes has had the stronger team in total, drivers, strategic personal and car.

It’s days like this where I hate the sport. It feels like match-fixing and we were robbed of a battle between the two title contenders.

....The elimination shoot out makes everyone having to go out each session which I agree....

How many of the drivers who could do so went out in Q2?

One or more drivers not going out in a session is not exactly unknown especially in Q3.

It's a highlights only show for me, I'm not sure they'll even be able to fill that to be honest. I may even end up recording that so I can skip through the boring parts. There could be quite a lot during this race.
So did they have enough highlights to fill up a highlight show? Race pretty much went as expected, although I was surprised at how close Vettel was able to stay to the Mercedes. Good job by Leclerc.

You did not miss much.

Last edited:
It may have changed the rule, but not the sense of outrage that so many have with today's result.

I'm not sure why you seem to feel that everyone is up in arms against Hamilton and Mercedes. Hamilton, IMHO, is a victim in this situation and it doesn't really look like the fans are even remotely upset about what happened yesterday as they were with Ferrari in the past (which IMHO doesn't necessarily mean that they are biased against Ferrari and in favour of Mercerdes but rather that most people have come to accept this)

So did they have enough highlights to fill up a highlight show? Race pretty much went as expected, although I was surprised at how close Vettel was able to stay to the Mercedes. Good job by Leclerc.

You did not miss much.

your post made me smile on a dark rainy morning :wave: I was surprised by the fact that Vettel's Ferrari with the DRS open couldn't make up any ground on the Mercs, the engine advantage by the Mercedes team yesterday was staggering. I too was surprised by the fact that Vettel managed to keep close to them despite being in dirty air for most of the race, I would have expected his tyres to let go but that didn't happen. It looks as if Mercedes have sorted their engine and Ferrari have sorted their suspensions (not that there was anything wrong with them, especially with the Mercedes engine)

Hamilton and Rosberg were left to race.

I don't completely agree with that statement, especially if we consider 2014, but that's history.

As a general remark, and I'm not referring specifically to your post Cider but to others things that I have seen, if the argument is that Bottas shouldn't raise above his station as they have Ocon and Russel ready to take his seat if Bottas misbehaves is dangerously close to corroborating Arrivabene's claim that Bottas is Hamilton's butler. Besides, if Bottas should have expected to have tio hand his position to Hamilton why it seems to be emerging that they had an agreement before the race whereby Bottas would get his position back at the end of the race in case he had to let his team mate through in order to defend from Vettel?

your post made me smile on a dark rainy morning :wave: I was surprised by the fact that Vettel's Ferrari with the DRS open couldn't make up any ground on the Mercs, the engine advantage by the Mercedes team yesterday was staggering. [...] It looks as if Mercedes have sorted their engine and Ferrari have sorted their suspensions (not that there was anything wrong with them, especially with the Mercedes engine)

To use Hamilton’s words, we’ve seen some interesting tricks from Mercedes in the last two races. LOL

You did not miss much.

Honestly, I knew the result (by accident) so I really didn't want to watch it in the end. I don't like team orders and with such a lead already there was no need for the team to make Bottas let his team mate through. So yeah, I skipped this race and I'm not sorry, if I'd watched it I'd be more annoyed than I am now and I'm already annoyed enough as it is ta.

olegg sorry to be a pain but could you not post the F2 results on here? I don't get to watch them on the day and have then saved to watch on recording. F2 has its own thread where we discuss it there. Sorry.

Il_leone same to you only I've asked nicely multiple times in the past so I suspect you'll just ignore me.

I still feel a day later than Hamilton like has been said is the victim, he didnt ask for it this was a pure toto decision, nobody likes winning races in this way. but bottas has only got himself to blame maybe this will be a kick up the backside that he needs because if he can produce that on a regular basis next season then it wont happen. as I can only think of 5 races when he challenged Hamilton. otherwise he really dropped in kimi territory

I was thinking is bottas this generation irvine or barrichello

well ive got my answer

I wonder how the gamblers feel about Bottas being made to give way; I remember when Coulthard moved over for Hakkinen the bookies paid out to the punters although not obliged to do so.

More importantly, how do the F1 sponsors feel about fiddling with results?

The team (Mercedes) are really only interested in the team. They want to win the constructors championship more than anything else. They think we’ll all rush out and buy a hideous Mercedes road car. I wouldn’t give one room on my property, but there you go. The fact is that had Bottas won and Hamilton had come second they would have got exactly the same amount of points. Hamilton would still be in the lead, and none of this agro would be happening.
It doesn’t say a great deal about the decision makers in the top teams does it.

Chris Evans, who is actually a big F1 fan, said on his breakfast show that the Russian Grand Prix was not a sport it was just polite driving. In fact he and his sport presenter were laughing at how silly it was when it was on air the same time as something like the Ryder Cup.

I'm not saying I share this view but surely the powers that be have to sit up and pay attention to the sport being laughed at on a prime time breakfast radio show. Radio 2 as well and they are usually nice about everything.

Back
Top Bottom