Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After trips to 4 continents & a sub continent Oceania, Middle East, Asia, Europe, North America in opening 8 races. whether its 4 in Europe & 1 in Asia or 3 in Europe & 2 in Asia depends where you classify Baku. We are home, & doesn't it feel nice, although everyone at the 11 teams will be delighted for the week off after the very draining im assuming 1st ever triple header & not only are we home but so are Formula 1 as everyone knows the 1st ever Formula 1 race took place in 1950 at this very circuit.

Definitely taking inspiration from cider_and_toast because i wouldnt dream of blatantly nicking ideas.;) LOL thought I might give a bit of history lesson as well. Silverstone does have 1 of the best circuits in the world but its layout was only stumbled upon by accident. because RAF Silverstone was opened in 1943 but in a classic world war 2 triangle layout which brought the perimiter roads. Also the 1st ever motorsport event to be held at the Silverstone airfield as it was then was a extremely low key event in 1947. & was organized by a guy called Maurice Geoghegan. he lived in nearby Silverstone village and was aware that the airfield was deserted had been for a while (of course world war had ended 2 years prior) so he & 11 other of his friends got to together & raced over the 2mile circuit, although his race was ended prematurely when a few sheep had wandered onto the airfield & Maurice hit 1 of the sheep, which killed the sheep & wrote the car off. in 1948 The Royal Automobile Club took a lease on the airfield, to set out a more formal racing circuit. they hired An ex-farmer,giving him just 2 months to turn the site from a wartime airfield & farm into a race track for the inaugural RAC International Grand Prix On the 2nd October 1948 an estimated 100,000 people flocked to see Luigi Villoresi beat a field of 22 in his Maserati. the 1st 2 races were organized & held on the World War 2 runways, with long straights separated by tight hairpin corners, the track only defined by Hay bales & ropes that also protected crops in the middle of the circuit. Then the royal automobile club decided to move racing to the perimeter track for 1950 & 1951 F1 races. 1950 1 of most known winners of an F1 grand prix. which even though it was widely known as the British GP Officially it was the 1950 Grand Prix d’Europe & it was significant occasion for another reason as King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (queen mum) were in attendance, which is still the only time a reigning monarch has attended a British motor race, then in 1951 BRDC took the lease from RAC who didnt want it & rest they say is history

The drivers are going to get a shock with this heatwave, because like Belgium all the drivers turn up here most years expecting cold & wet weather. but we have been experiencing temperatures in the high 20's for a few weeks & with the forecast it looks like it going to continue all next week as well. but im probally biased but this is 1 of highlights of the season up with Belgium & Monza. because such a great atmosphere with stands are packed from FP1 & full of fans with great British humour down the years. always some of the best celebrations because when Brit wins at Silverstone its on a par with a Ferrari win at Monza. But unfortunately this is the 50th & potentially penultimate British GP. very nearly the final in its traditional place in July, because Sean Bratches has all ready confirmed that it was the 1st choice for hosting the 1000th grand prix in April 2019. but then someone told him about Easter 2000 & he was put off for some reason haha but as i said this the penultimate British GP because of the Mexican standoff between Bernie's contract, Silverstone's owners & Liberty Media. after BRDC confirmed the rumours & triggered the break clause in their contract on day of the 2017 grand prix all because of unsustainable 5% fee escalator built into the deal by Bernie, after the Donington park fiasco. which means that what was a estimated cost of £12m - 2010, became £17m - 2017 17.9m - 2018 19m - 2019 ,& by 2026 if clause hadn't been invoked would've been in excess of 27m

thought i would give some historic Silverstone facts. that you may or may not know & I couldn't shoe horn in
  • sundays race will be 50th race on 14th different configuration
  • the priest that ran across the Silverstone track at Hangar Straight in 2003. ended up being jailed for 2 months
  • 1955 was the 1st time a british man won a the british gp
  • the startline has moved counties in 2011, as half the track is in Northamptonshire & half In Buckinghamshire
  • Silverstone Annually on Race day, annually becomes the busiest airport in Britain
Evolution_of_Silverstone_Grand_Prix_Circuit_1949_to_present.png

Last edited:
racecub I know what you meant. But that was not an action to take him out.
Are you referring to the deliberate swipe at Baku? It was deliberate. And that was my answer to you as to why I think Vettel would do a deliberate act against a competitor but Kimi wouldn’t. I’ve never seen Kimi act like that....haven’t seen the majority of drivers act like that in actual fact.
So just to clear up a point here. I don’t think Kimi in any way did that to Hamilton deliberately. Which is what I said at the start.

Point 2 = Vettel is evil

But to be fair to racecub, he is recalling an actual event and not constructing some fantasy against him.

Yes he did do that. I'm just not sure how relevent it is to Hamilton suggesting Kimi hit him on purpose. It has taken the conversation away from discussion regarding Lewis bad reaction to not winning on Sunday though. I guess that was the point.

RasputinLives Why should it be relevant to Hamilton suggesting Kimi hit him on purpose? I specifically said I didn’t think Kimi did it on purpose when I wrote a little bit about my weekend at Silverstone, after which I was asked by Bushi....
“And why do you think it's Vettel's style to drive into another car on purpose? Because he was a Schumacher fan?”
So I answered him giving evidence.
You just made up all that Vettel is evil stuff.

You were asked that though after you'd stated 'its Vettel's style to drive into other drivers' which was completely not related to the discussion in question and was you dangling a fishing rod out there to get a bite to divert away from the subject at hand which was being a bit of a non after the race. I guess you had the choice between him or Button. ;)

I admire your devotion to Lewis. I really do. But come on be honest with us. If any other driver had stomped off from the grid interviews and then tried to claim that an obvious driving error had been a deliberate tactic to take him out you'd be saying they were being childish. Come on. You can admit it to us. It doesn't make Lewis any less of a great driver or you less of a true fan but it was a dick move wasn't it? :)

The subject in hand was the British GP. I wrote in that thread about my experiences of it which I believe Im entitled to do, it’s not off topic. Kimi took Lewis off right in front of my stand. I saw it happen, so I commented.
I was not ‘fishing’ . And I’m not a troll, which you also called me recently. I’m getting tired of it. Just because you don’t share the same views doesn’t mean I’m a troll.
And why do you keep bringing up Button? If you’re keen for things to stay on topic I’d say that’s miles off.

I’m not devoted to Hamilton, he’s my favourite current driver, I’ve followed him since long before F1 , that’s it, Ive had other favourite drivers, he’s my current one, why does that upset you?
I ve already given my views on Hamilton leaving the grid in that same post about my trip to the GP. Did you actually read it?

Yeah it must be me. All your doing is saying your opinion and I should respect that. I completley and totally apologise.

Send my love to Cookinflatsix.

Mod chat.

Hope the sun isn't raising the temperature too much in here. Time to move the conversation down a touch folks it's getting a touch personal.

Regards

CaT the Mod.

Are you referring to the deliberate swipe at Baku? It was deliberate. And that was my answer to you as to why I think Vettel would do a deliberate act against a competitor but Kimi wouldn’t. I’ve never seen Kimi act like that....haven’t seen the majority of drivers act like that in actual fact.
So just to clear up a point here. I don’t think Kimi in any way did that to Hamilton deliberately. Which is what I said at the start.

Was it an action to take him out of the race? No, it wasn't!
Hence why I said in exaggeration that Hamilton lost his tooth fillings in that incident.

I agree that Kimi would never give a nudge to someone else, unless you are a photographer and are stepping on his bag.;) His emotions don't run that high, the guy barely laughed after he won the WC. Vettel is an emotional bloke and can act like that on track and on radio. But like I said he would never drive someone out of a race for his benefit.

Last edited:
Was it an action to take him out of the race? No, it wasn't!
Hence why I said in exaggeration that Hamilton lost his tooth fillings in that incident.

I agree that Kimi would never give a nudge to someone else, unless you are a photographer and are stepping on his bag.;) His emotions don't run that high, the guy barely laughed after he won the WC. Vettel is an emotional bloke and can act like that on track and on radio. But like I said he would never drive someone out of a race for his benefit.

I agree and I think that we need to put what happened at Baku into context: Hamilton did something that was unsportsmanlike and very very dangerous in slowing down on purpose at the restart of the race given how long the Baku straight is (I personally think that all rolling starts at Baku are very dangerous), Vettel reacted and that wasn't nice and not very sportsmanlike but he didn't try to put Hamilton in danger, it's actually the other way round, Hamilton put all the other drivers in danger to gain a very little advantage, Vettel never did any harm to Hamilton, he just did what any self respecting racing driver 20 years ago would have done (the ones who wouldn't nudge an opponent for such foul play are the ones who would have rammed into him to take him out). I know that it's nice to have such a romantic view of F1 but that's how it used to work, and the reason is very simple: if you have an accident on the Baku straight and have 15 cars behind you travelling at 350 km/h chances are that you might lose your life. IMHO Hamilton had to be punished for the very same reason that Vettel had to be punished. All that to say that I don't really think that Hamilton should take the moral high ground for what happened at Baku last year

Publius Cornelius Scipio

I am no Hamilton fan, but Vettel’s actions in Baku were all of his own making. Hamilton did not brake-test Vettel (even though initially it looked like he might have done), but Vettel’s perception was that he was slower through there than normal (actually it turned out that Vettel was just sleeping). What followed was absolutely unacceptable - and Vettel should probably have faced a ban for it.

Maldonado did the same in Spa to Hamilton several years ago, and was rightly castigated.

However, I would park this discussion right here.

Meanwhile, what was all the griping about the track being bumpy? Now Silverstone has promised to resurface the track for 2019. Why? There won't be a race in 2020 or are they doing it to keep the Moto GP boys happy?

Or do Silverstone (BRDC or whoever owns it now) think that Liberty will come begging once the deadline nears to ask them to come back into the fold on better terms because F1 needs a British race etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom