Grand Prix 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Aaaaaahhh, that wonderful place, renowned for its proximity to the sea and proud history of mercantile endeavour, the place that attracts many tourists to its wonderful coastline, fabulous welcome and no surprise then that property is costly and much sought after.

Wonderous views of the mountains of Snowdonia rising in splendour to the East and...........
1200px-Aberdyfi_from_Ynyslas_Sand_Dunes.jpg
……..what?
What do you mean?
Abu Dhabi?
I thought you said Aberdovey!

I wouldn’t have volunteered if I’d known. Still here goes then……..

Aaaahh, Abu Dhabi, that Middle Eastern Grand Prix that nobody complains about because human rights abuse only occurs in Bahrain. A place where a notoriously dull race with a traditionally sparse audience is appropriately named, as the only way can only be up after a race at the Yas Marina Circuit. I do feel that they did actually bother when they built it as it does have its quirks with a long straight and peculiar pitlane configuration, one day there’ll be an almighty cock-up that blocks the exit…..perhaps then the race will be less of the snoozefest that is usually served up.
Plenty of other racing takes place here, including cycling (in an equally dull event) and sportscars but in the 10 years of F1 the weekend is generally dominated by a Red Bull, here’s hoping that they continue their Brazilian streak .

It’s all very well me making critical judgements on the circuit but the best review I can find is that given by my hero Kimi Raikkonen:

"the first few turns are quite good, but the rest of it is shit"

Mwynhewch, a dyma'r tymor nesaf!

Last edited:
I get RTL Austria/Germany/Switzerland SD which is free to air with adverts; these can be long and annoying. 5 Live for listening but there is a delay however if you do not mind watching starting after the race has finished the audio is on IPlayer so you can sync to within a couple of seconds quite easily with a video recording. Getting it installed by a pro cost me less than a year of Sky some years ago.

You don't need a Freesat tuner you need a Free to Air tuner the type Aldi, B&Q and Lidl sell as a kit for about £50 or just the tuner from Ebay from £25, there is a ready made clamp on LNB holder you just bolt to your Sky dish arm or Freesat LNB arm, don't know whether RTL HD is encrypted now but wasn't in 2015

I should have mentioned before that I also get Eurosport Germany with all the major and some minor tours and some of the one-day cycling, loads of winter sports, football matches that are somewhere in the minor leagues and motor sport including Le Mans. N-tv is odd, they cover a few FP1s and occasionally qualifying if it clashes with a more important programme on RTL.

I have a biggish dish and an Icecrypt box which I think may well be SD.

I really hope this is a brilliant race. Other half is in hospital at the moment, and has been for the last week. BUT. We get channel 4 on the TV at the hospital and it’s live on channel 4 this weekend,(I hope) so a good race would be a massive boost. I will take my iPad with me, and maybe chat on chat. Not sure just what I can do on the hospital internet connection.

Last edited:
As a Middle Eastern state apparently on our side, it seems very strange that they would dig their feet in quite so much. Maybe we don’t know all the facts ?

Kimi summed up the track ":censored:"

I can't remember the race being entertaining and enjoyable to watch even the race in 2012 where Vettel probably should have finished a lap down and somehow managed to finish 3rd at the end

I really hope this is a brilliant race. Other half is in hospital at the moment, and has been for the last week. BUT. We get channel 4 on the TV at the hospital and it’s live on channel 4 this weekend,(I hope) so a good race would be a massive boost. I will take my iPad with me, and maybe chat on chat. Not sure just what I can do on the hospital internet connection.

Sorry to hear that Titch I hope your other half is better soon.

I am hoping for a good race this weekend, not expecting one, but hoping all the same ;)

I think we’re in for the long haul. Unfortunately. What started with a fall and a broken ankle has spiralled elsewhere after a scan.

Back
Top Bottom