Grand Prix 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Aaaaaahhh, that wonderful place, renowned for its proximity to the sea and proud history of mercantile endeavour, the place that attracts many tourists to its wonderful coastline, fabulous welcome and no surprise then that property is costly and much sought after.

Wonderous views of the mountains of Snowdonia rising in splendour to the East and...........
1200px-Aberdyfi_from_Ynyslas_Sand_Dunes.jpg
……..what?
What do you mean?
Abu Dhabi?
I thought you said Aberdovey!

I wouldn’t have volunteered if I’d known. Still here goes then……..

Aaaahh, Abu Dhabi, that Middle Eastern Grand Prix that nobody complains about because human rights abuse only occurs in Bahrain. A place where a notoriously dull race with a traditionally sparse audience is appropriately named, as the only way can only be up after a race at the Yas Marina Circuit. I do feel that they did actually bother when they built it as it does have its quirks with a long straight and peculiar pitlane configuration, one day there’ll be an almighty cock-up that blocks the exit…..perhaps then the race will be less of the snoozefest that is usually served up.
Plenty of other racing takes place here, including cycling (in an equally dull event) and sportscars but in the 10 years of F1 the weekend is generally dominated by a Red Bull, here’s hoping that they continue their Brazilian streak .

It’s all very well me making critical judgements on the circuit but the best review I can find is that given by my hero Kimi Raikkonen:

"the first few turns are quite good, but the rest of it is shit"

Mwynhewch, a dyma'r tymor nesaf!

Last edited:
yeah Abu dhabi is a bit crap, they paid a lot of money to be last I would much prefer Brazil or Mexico to be the finale, as it has great atmosphere this is just abit middle class, abit posh & too corporate to have a similar atmosphere. it has had a few good grand prixs thinking 2010 & 2012

Im just paying for the good ones next year i.e. not the street tracks.
Highlights for the rest. Apart from Monaco. I won't bother with at all.

They lost the rights Titch. They weren't going to have the rights to show any F1 next year until a recent last minute cock block on Formula E deal was done.

Titch Sky had signed exclusive live rights to F1 from 2019 to 2024 previously and Channel 4 don't have the money to pay for the F1 races to be honest unless the asking price is knocked down

The novelty of Abu Dhabi has worn off and last year's race was 2 hours of my life wasted. Ever since they removed the gravel traps and created extra run off then there is not anything there to challenge and punish the drivers.

If they want overtaking they need to get rid of the stupid slow section that leads onto the back straight

Someone put me right the other day, on our forum, I was being sarcastic about FIA not allowing any free to air viewing, and was put in my place by someone pointing out various countries that had free to air viewing. So my question is ... what did The UK do wrong. I know everyone in the world hates the UK, but how can they justify one (some) country getting F1for free, and not us.

WHY. ANSWER ME . LIBERTY.

Titch It did not help that the BBC suddenly realised it was too expensive and backed out of its original deal with Bernie to show live F1 races and clain There was not time for other suitors to table a bid

Back
Top Bottom