Grand Prix 2017 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We can only hope that Silverstone is closer in the action to Baku than to Austria, which is probably in the running for one of the dullest races this year.
The weather may well come to the rescue at Silverstone, it is often, windy, wet and frequently cold. It's also very flat and used to be very fast until the powers that be decided that fast wasn't really what F1 is about. So starting at Woodcote in 1975 started to make changes to slow the track down. In 1990-91 the tracks transformation from super fast to technical was pretty much complete, although they still tinker and tweak it from time to time. Now they may well be taking a break from 2019 until .....? But we shall know by the time the race is run next week-end.
They say that they can't afford to host the race anymore, and when you look at the other races round the world many are government backed, or at least backed by very rich oil countries, it becomes obvious that to keep pace is not easy, Silverstone does not get Government backing. Who does?
There is a suggestion that Liberty Media buy Silverstone, but that is only a suggestion. There is also a suggestion that the British GP should be run around the Docklands area of London, that might be fun. But it should all be clear soon.
As to the racing this weekend, well if it's wet, the driving conditions will be trickier, which is always good. If it's dry it could well be another Austria. Whatever the conditions, it will favour the Mercedes and the Ferrari, well the Ferrari driven by Vettel anyway, if Raikkonen can be bothered it would favour his Ferrari as well. Hamilton needs a win and I'm sure he would be happy if Vettel's car stuttered to a halt mid race. Meanwhile Bottas just goes quietly about the business of being Bottas and collecting a useful hoard of points.
The Red Bulls are getting better, but it would be brilliant if Max Verstappens car held together for a race. Danni R is doing a good job of point collecting, but two Red Bulls stealing points would be better for the championship. The rest of the field are all very close, and that includes the Williams which I was hoping would be closer to the top teams than the mid field this year, but Lance Stroll is developing which can only be a good thing.
As for McLaren, well what can you say ?
For those of you going to Silverstone I hope it's a fabulous race weekend, for those of you camping at Silverstone I hope the rain holds off.
But for the sake of an interesting race, I hope we get lots of "showers" on Sunday afternoon.

DEytHhzXgAI0FAz.jpg:large

According to all the previous reports counted strange.
For example, where is new additional softest tyre for drivers in Q3?

Never thought I'd hear Alonso in a McLaren go P1 and get a raucous cheer around Silverstone either...

You know British & our like for irony :D

its strange as if you had told me a decade ago when he was enemy number 1 that i would end up being converted into a big fan of alonso i wouldnt have believed you. but i cant help admire how despite enough honda disasters to last a lifetime. that he has motivation to go as fast as he can because on numerous occasions he could be forgiven for thinking whats the point

fantastic pole from Lewis Hamilton. that was a brillant lap, he absoultely smashed the rest of the grid nearly 6 tenths on the field is very impressive. hopefully should make up for disappointment of Wednesday. Although i still cant get it out of my head how fan friendly he is. like someone said on his terms

1 team i worry about is williams. because there chassis must be poor because that's now 2 weekends in a row where the Mclaren honda has outqualified it & considering how they have the mercedes engine. as i say you have to worries about the aerodynamics

Martin Brundle taken ill. He was on earlier interviewing people. They aren't saying much just 'taken ill' at medical centre, will not be taking part in the rest of the broadcast. Sounds bad.

Hamilton had a good win on a Mercedes circuit where his team mate was penalised. He would still have won by miles if he'd gone to the London event.

Other than that, progress for Renault, great combative driving from Verstappen and more idiocy among the midfield runners.

Last edited:
good grand prix, Ferrari paying a big price for tyre strategy risk, the commentators said pre race that a 1 stop was going to be very marginal & it turns out to be so with tyres ripping on Vettel Verstappen & Raikkonen. but Ferrari must work there tyres harder as Bottas got 33 laps out of the softs. for me vettel shouldn't have had that problem because a 2 stopper would've been quicker. he would've been out of max way quicker & also would've been a lot quicker at the end of the race

but that massively now brings Bottas into the title fight, as he now in striking distance imagine if Vettel & Hamilton have a collision or have engine problems. all of a sudden providing he wins he goes from
Vettel 177
Lewis 176
Bottas 154

Bottas 179
Vettel 177
Lewis 176

Back
Top Bottom