Grand Prix 2017 Brazilian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So both the drivers and constructors championships are over. Mercedes are constructors champions (again) and Lewis Hamilton has recovered the title stolen from him by Nico Rosberg last year. Now it's time to go to (often not so) sunny Brazil and the race between the lakes.

Do you remember last year? It rained and the race stopped and started as as showers turned in to storms and back again. It went on for over 3 hours, 3 hours and 1 minute to be exact. Lewis won but Max Verstappen won a whole host of new fans as he pitched his Red Bull about in the rain in a fashion rarely seen in modern Formula 1. In reality the driver of the day last year was Lewis, his control and poise in the race were sublime and this race, of itself, probably deserved a title of its own. But Nico tippytoed around behind Lewis, stealing second and doing his best Nelson Piquet impression as he did "just enough" to keep his title bid on track.

So what can we expect this year? The last couple of races have been a bit confusing as Red Bull have somehow managed to find enough pace to get ahead of Ferrari and look like being able to challenge Mercedes. Was it just the circuits or have Red Bull, with their "Tag Heuer" engines, found some more power to go with their usual exceptional chassis. Don't expect too much from qualie as Merc will turn their engine up to 12, or 13, or whatever number they are able to push it past 10, and Lewis will add to his record number of poles. But come the race, assuming the front three don't nerf one another off at the first corner, we could be in for a battle at the front.

Poor Danny Ric has caught whatever bug affected Max earlier in the season. Fingers crossed he will be able to put in a full shift in Brazil and show what he is capable of against the Dutch upstart across the garage. Don't expect too much from Vettel and Hamilton's respective team mates. Their feeble spirit has been broken and they both know their place in the team. The only chance I think of Bottas taking a win is Lewis sympathetically moving across at the last corner to let Valtteri through.

Elsewhere, Force India will be the best of the rest and the rest will be pretty crap by comparison with the top three teams. Perhaps this is a little harsh on Renault who, now they have a proper driver, look to be able to be up in the top 10 by right. One other thought, will we see tears in the pit lane again from Felipe Massa as this could be his last race in his home country, again.

Finally - Pop quiz - Who was the last driver to be lapped at the race he won the Drivers World Championship?

Last edited:
always 1 of favourite grand prixs probally because of the brilliant memories from 9yrs ago when lewis Hamilton won the title & ive never been so tense watching f1. I was like Anthony Hamilton couldn't sit down just pacing around the living room, but it is great track 1 of the best non European atmospheres of the season. it always seems to produce great racing albeit ive probably put the mockers on it because I'm thinking from ones I can remember live 2001 2003 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 (qualifying) 2012 & 2016 was amazing, without restarting an argument from another. I still remember Max Verstappen outstanding drive from 14th > 3rd in 12laps after wrongly changing onto inters as the heavens opened. for me joint best drive ive watched live. how he in heavy rain in only his 2nd season put so many of his vastly experienced drivers to shame finding grip where others couldn't passing inside & out

i didn't realise james hunt came 3rd but a lap down, kept that quiet in rush ;) I was thinking either Jim Clark in 65 or Keke Rosberg in 82

Last edited:
Lot of stealing by a certain someone in that intro FB!

Given Bottas is notionally fighting Vettel for 2nd in the championship, and if the situation arises, will Merc ask Hamilton to give him a position? And should they?

Given Bottas is notionally fighting Vettel for 2nd in the championship, and if the situation arises, will Merc ask Hamilton to give him a position? And should they?

Of course not. That’s a totally daft idea.

Because Hamilton is chasing Schumacher’s race wins record.

Not with Bottas's current form. He's too far off the pace in a fairly close battle.

Of course not. That’s a totally daft idea.

Because Hamilton is chasing Schumacher’s race wins record.
It isn't going to happen this season. Plus, I'm sure Bottas is chasing the wins record too.

in way possibly. but for that to happen bottas has got to do something he hasnt done since Austria & that be on same pace as Lewis Hamilton

It wouldn't be the first time that after securing the WDC the champion-to-be performs a little bit less, while his teammmate performs a little bit better. Happened to Lewis himself in 2015.

Back
Top Bottom