Grand Prix 2017 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Well, the Austrian Grand Prix has a lot to live up to. Barcelona, Montreal and Baku have all proved excellent races and we're all hoping that the same can happen in the lush, green hills of Central Europe.

The title race has had its first real flashpoint with Vettel's wheelbanging at turn 16. This could have represented a massive swing to Hamilton but for an ill-fitted headrest. As it was, Vettel eked out 2 points on his British rival. Watch for fireworks.

It's not a case of Finnish friends in the second cars either. Bottas and Raikkonen collided again in Baku. While the chaotic race enabled Bottas' recovery, the two need to keep out of each other's sides to boost their chances in the Constructors' Championship.

Max Verstappen will be outrageously frustrated. He's getting into very good positions - almost certainly a race win in Baku - but is not completing the races. It looks like a finish will coincide with a decent result, but to finish first...

Ricciardo, meanwhile, stayed calm in Baku to take the win while so many others screwed up around him. Chief amongst them were Force India, who'll not rival Red Bull if they allow acrimonious team rivalries to bin huge points.

Williams return to the scene of their 2014 front row with Lance Stroll on a huge high. Massa was just ahead of him too before a DNF. Toro Rosso may well be closer to them here though!

Renault contributed only to the attrition in Baku, so Magnussen took the big points in the 7/8 battle that Hulkenburg vacated. I've heard that Grosjean has been having brake issues.

McLaren scored points! So did Sauber! The McLaren/Sauber/Honda podium at Silverstone in 2008 has never seemed further away...

As for the circuit; it is not the Österreichring. Nevertheless, this small circuit is awkward and challenging, and often provides interesting racing. Last year was dramatic - wet qualifying, Vettel's tyre blowing, Rosberg getting ahead, the chase, Nicosteer. More of the same, please!

Harsh but to the point Galahad

Bottas is reminding me more and more of Massa in 2007. Everyone including 95% of his own team think he is the number 2 but every 3 or 4 races he pulls off a super result that keeps him within sniffing distance of the title race. Enough to make people stop and go Hmmm anyways.

Oh and he was the fastest out there all weekend. Let's not take that away from him.

Well Hamilton did endorse him to Mercedes that he deserved to stay for another year at Mercedes (and was also a thinly veiled attempt to let his bosses know if you sign Vettel you'll expect trouble)

i said back in January when Bottas was announced & even part of last season. Bottas was the better driver in my opinion, I still think a title challenge is unlikely but you never know he has already beaten Hamilton fair & square twice this season. just been the faster driver all weekend. he is only 35pts off vettel & 15pts off Hamilton so I wouldn't count him out

although on bottas, he doesnt like to win his races comfortably, won both his races by 6 tenths of a second. after tremendous pressure from vettel in the closing laps. as I put on the out of 10 thread, the 1st half not the best but lap 30 onwards I quite enjoyed thought it was a intriguing race we had a few good battles lewis & kimi to start with & the last 7 laps were amazing, brilliant ending. i bet the tv director didn't know where to focus for best because we had both 1-2 & 3-4 all up for grabs both with few tenths of each other. Kyvat I got to say I'm surprised is even racing for toro rosso in 2017 because post Germany 2016 when he was almost in tears in the pen that he wouldn't see 2016 out. but despite racing around it for 3 days. the 1st corner seemingly surprised him & forgot to break stupid mistake. & if sainz is at dead end then I dread to think what kyvat is. as surely Gasly will be in that seat in 2018 at least

could seem to find a picture of it & saw they had a countdown to 1000 on the main straight with Austrian gp being 965, which I believe from calculation from looking at the 2017 & 2018 Calendar. last scheduled race is 2018 abu dhabi which leaves us on 997. which means that 3rd slot on 2019 will be a very sought after place on calendar & who knows considering austraila appartantly pay a premium to be the opener & Abu Dhabi same for Finale. a country might want to pay to be 3rd & host the 1000th grand prix

I saw a headline that Perez and Vandoorne both got penalty points after Austria. Anyone know what these were for, I couldn't be bothered to click on the link.

FB not obeying blue flags. Saw Perez's one and he was being a dick. Only heard Kimi rant about Vandorne so can't comment.

He would know. He lived there for years. Remember that 'sporting agreement' where, completely of his own decision, he moved over to give up a win? Different planet.

Coulthard was the absolute perfect number two driver! He had that strong sense of honour, plus he never actually seemed to believe he was faster than any of his team-mates. He also seemed genuinely happy with his lot.

There's loads of top team managers who would love another DC!

Back
Top Bottom