Pre-Season 2016 Season Preview

cider_and_toast I am not sure if you should be ashamed of knowing that song, or if I should be because now you have mentioned it the song is running round inside my head trying to drive me insane.

I am now off to apply a large dose of Sepultura direct to my brain in an attempt to bleach the memory forever :twisted:

F1 in America is to be saved by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift: Singer to perform at confirmed US Grand Prix

Bernie has not been able to get the Americans interested in the sport for 40 odd years but Tay-Tay is going to pick up the sport 'shake it off' and help F1 crack that American market.

Bloody nonesene.

In other news F1 has turned to soul singer Seal in order to sort out falling TV ratings and former Eurovision entrant Gina G to review the new qualifying format.

i cant lie, i like Taylor Swift her latest album has got some great songs & actually if it works for singapore who have a big concert every GP weekend with likes of pharell williams, maroon 5, beyonce, black eyed peas, Robbie Williams & katy perry. so why not try to repeat their success & moneys money never know they could become f1 fans by accident

& i think its a good idea because we want the US GP to survive because it will never go out of style we dont want there to be a Blank Space where COTA used to be on the calendar especially after the 2007 Bad Blood but i suspect they arent Out Of The Woods yet. But im sure after the fiasco that was the 1 in 2,500yr weather event that was 2015 they will be able to Shake It Off & im sure bernie would help if needed because it always been in his Wildest Dreams to have purpose built circuit in USA
:whistle:8-)

& i think its a good idea because we want the US GP to survive because it will never go out of style we dont want there to be a Blank Space where COTA used to be on the calendar especially after the 2007 Bad Blood but i suspect they arent Out Of The Woods yet. But im sure after the fiasco that was the 1 in 2,500yr weather event that was 2015 they will be able to Shake It Off & im sure bernie would help if needed because it always been in his Wildest Dreams to have purpose built circuit in USA

That was exquisitely done.

i think its a good idea because we want the US GP to survive because it will never go out of style we dont want there to be a Blank Space where COTA used to be on the calendar especially after the 2007 Bad Blood but i suspect they arent Out Of The Woods yet. But im sure after the fiasco that was the 1 in 2,500yr weather event that was 2015 they will be able to Shake It Off & im sure bernie would help if needed because it always been in his Wildest Dreams to have purpose built circuit in USA

That was exquisitely done.
thank you :thankyou:
although its probably not a good idea to reveal my knowledge of taylor swift

Here goes then guys and girls. Revised 2016 sporting regs with track changes and no, I apologise, I've not reviewed in any detail!

Attachments

• 2016_f1_sporting_regulations_2016-03-11.pdf
    491.3 KB · Views: 181
Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.04.49.png

Edit: I almost slipped into a comma before I got to the end of that.

Last edited:
I am going to be cautious about the quali changes having seen them. I can see this just moving all the action to the first few minutes of quali with the tail enders trundling around trying to get a better lap towards the end rather than anything but am willing to be convinced otherwise....

Yeah top teams will lay a quick time down ealy and then have the drivers sitting in their cars waiting to respond in case something kicks off.

Quick query. Do the top ten still have to start on the tyre they set their fastest lap from Q2 on - and do they still get an extra set of tyres for being in Q3?

I am going to be cautious about the quali changes having seen them. I can see this just moving all the action to the first few minutes of quali with the tail enders trundling around trying to get a better lap towards the end rather than anything but am willing to be convinced otherwise....

I think your being polite. I think the alterations are utterly ****ing pointless. The FIA have taken their sloppy adjustable spanner to one of very few things in F1 that didn't need any wrenching at all.

Last edited:
The qualifying changes might make the grid a lot more mixed during a wet qualifying, but I don't really see it having a huge impact on more cars being out on track or mixing up the grid in the dry.

I'm just thinking back to the Q1 and 2 of the last few seasons, where several drivers have needed to put in a quick lap at the last knockings, as they are on the brink of going out, but they leave it til the end of the session, and put something in. Now, they will not have the option to wait until the end, as those currently on track may overhaul them. Q1 may be a bit slower, although that will depend on the relative performances of the Manor/Haas/Sauber/McLaren teams, as for the past few seasons, these guys have been bankers for the drop.

I think that Q2 could get quite frantic towards the knock out times, especially if the midfield is relatively close. I certainly don't think that there will be a flurry at the start and then everyone sitting out, with the possible exception of the Mercs who may be able to put in a very quick banker at the start.

I think at worst, it will be little different, at best it could add something. I certainly don't think it is something to get all negative about, despite the fact that it maybe did not require changing.

Now its confirmed that stupid staying out at all times rule isn't in than I feel fairly unfussed about the whole thing. I think we'll end up getting pretty much the same as what we got before.

I doubt we'll get the 'mixed up grid' they always seem to aim for. Even if we did get the 'mixed up grid' it won't create great racing. Now if they decided to put limitations on the aero then we'd have cars that could follow each other which probably would create great racing but F1 does not seem to want to go in that direction. In fact they seem to be adding more and more.

To be honest, I am not so sure that they were after a mixed up grid with this change, I think that they were aiming at more on track action, which I think they will get.

If you fall down the time sheets, you will not have enough time before the next time cut to get an out lap, and a flying lap, so you will need to either have a great first lap, and be confident, or you will need to keep it going. And there will also be none of the wait until right at the end, then put in a flyer.

I think that we will see more on track action during quali, it may make Q2 a bit more frantic than it was, which to me is good. It also adds a little spice in terms of tactics, as there will always be teams who overthink, or lash it up in some way, which can only make things more interesting.

Quick query. Do the top ten still have to start on the tyre they set their fastest lap from Q2 on - and do they still get an extra set of tyres for being in Q3?

I'm not sure why this rule hasn't been abolished yet.

Adds nothing except that positions 8-10 lose at the start to those on fresher tyres at the back.

The front runners ease off to protect their tyres after the first 2 laps. They are talking about how they want the drivers to push, well you're holding them back here, and then also hampering maybe different strategies coming into play since the top 10 will all be doing the same.

Back
Top Bottom