2016 Rio Olympics

I like a bit of 7s, will be watching that as well.

Played a fair amount as a kid. I was young for my year, and a bit thin, and at 14 suddenly found myself getting tossed about like a rag-doll and that was the end of that. There was a young chap called Ben Ryan in my class, good scrum half. Went on to become England Rugby 7s coach, and now coaches Fiji.

Rugby players are by and large much nicer people than footballers - I think the Olympics will show the sport in a really good light, could be the start of Bigger Things.

Yes, the Jacarepagua Circuit is indeed a distant memory.

Rio then and now.jpg

Certainly not a classic circuit by any means. Old Interlagos will always be Brazil's best.

Indeed, far from a classic. I remember it from a really early computer game, and Nigel Mansell's maiden win for Ferrari. Not to mention a stunning debut from Johnny Herbert.

I lasted about 45 minutes before I fell sleep. It didn't do anything for me. It was made even worse by the BBC commentary team explaining everything that was about to happen before it took place.

No surprises yesterday it was very stereotypical opening ceremony. Considering budget compared to last 2 unrealistic to expect something on that level. Was good in its own way well until they said we all going to drown to death , Rio's Director rumoured to only have 1/10th budget of London 2012 ceremony which was half of bejing budget (which I think is British for it was pretty crap) :whistle:

Although i was watching thought been less than a hr, did athletes come out this early 4 yrs ago. As I thought I remembered a longer show in London & searched it out was 40 mins shorter than London

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this. In my opinion Brazil have overstretched themselves it should have been 1 or other as been proved it didnt make financial sense to try to build both sets of sporting stadiums

What i am worried about is Crowds. I might be completely wrong but I was watching football crowds were poor not wanting to compare considering at London we crowds had 50,000 at Egypt v NZ & 30,000 at Mexico v Gabon I would've been surprised if theirs 1000+ at Fiji v S Korea & I heard on sky sports news that on monday you could still buy a ticket for the mens 100m final & If struggling to sell out the big event with main star of usain bolt doesn't bode well

Men's Road Race just commenced. Froome calls the course "Savage"

As for the Opening Ceremonies, was planning to watch a little with my 4 yr old. She lasted about 10 minutes, and I made it until Gisele strutted across.

The bit where it looked like they were jumping on the rising buildings was pretty cool though.

We watched the opening ceremony this morning, it was ok. As KekeTheKing said the building jumping was cool as was the War-horse like beginnings of Earth bit. The Olympic flame is even more beautiful than the London one and unlike London they aren't restricting the viewing of the flame to the priveleged few watching the athletics.
I liked the choice of athlete for lighting the flame too.
Whoever wins what medals I hope they are done fairly (both from athletes and officials)
Roll on two weks of sport!

So far the BBC coverage has been total arse. They seem to be spending all of their time talking among the pundits because, hey we've sent hundreds of them to Rio so we best make use of them.

I was watching the highlights of thos afternoons action. You would have been forgiven for thinking there wasn't any. Is this a result of Eurosport now having the rights and the BBC getting the crumbs off the table?

So far the BBC coverage has been total arse. They seem to be spending all of their time talking among the pundits because, hey we've sent hundreds of them to Rio so we best make use of them.

I was watching the highlights of thos afternoons action. You would have been forgiven for thinking there wasn't any. Is this a result of Eurosport now having the rights and the BBC getting the crumbs off the table?

No, forget what I just said, Discovery / Eurosport don't get the rights until 2022. The BBC are just being crap all by themselves.

No this eurosport wont affect us. (If it does affect us) until 2022 winter/2024 summer. because post London. BBC had already bought the uk rights for 2016 2018 2020 & reason I said If it does affect us. Is that Discovery didnt buy the uk rights they bought the rights in a pan European deal. They unwittingly ran to a huge problem

because with our Sporting crown jewels law. Where these sporting events must be on terrestrial tv
World Cup
Euros
FA Cup Final (mens and womens)
Grand National
Epsom Derby
Rugby league Challenge Cup final
Rugby union World Cup
Wimbledon
Olympic & Paralympic Games
Discovery were "Forced" to sell the rights to a terrestial channel ie: BBC/ITV

So (much to gethinceri and The Pits disgust I'm sure) I've always presumed road cycling races are boring.

I've just watched the women's final, how wrong was I, I had zero idea about the tactics and it was a fantastic final sprint.

I hope Anna Van Vleuten is okay :(

I see how the Rio Olympic organisers have manage to keep the costs down. They've not sold any tickets.

How many empty stadiums, arenas and venues? I've never seen an Olympics so badly attended.

Back
Top Bottom