Grand Prix 2016 Mexican Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Donald Trump wanted them to build a wall but instead they rebuilt the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, and I'm mightily pleased they did. The race last year was pretty top notch, the Formula E race here was pretty top notch and the fans were amazing at both. Why shouldn't they be? They have their own hero to cheer on in Sergio 'Checo' Perez (oh and Gutteriez for now) and he usually puts on a show. The track lends itself to good racing and I'm hoping we see a good one this coming weekend. We certainly need something to wash the taste of dull Austin from our mouths. The US Grand Prix was pretty much like ordering your favourite ale only to take a giant swig and find out it was off. It did see a home win for American driver Lewis Hamilton (Yes he's officially American now. Apparently they got him in a swap deal for Scherzinger and Will.I.Am. It was a bad deal and personally I blame David Cameron) which is good news for us because it put him back in a good mood and therefore up for getting back in the championship race. Monegasque driver Nico Rosberg though is still in smug face mode as all he has to do it finish 2nd at every race which doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Having said that if he does win the title this way the talk will be he doesn't deserve the title (it started on Sky this Sunday) so maybe he needs to go all out to win. Having said that if he does he might crash out and not win the title. Oh its catch 22!

Hamilton's savior might be the ever rising Red Bulls. Max 'I'm not here to finish 4th' Verstappen has really been flying of late and, whilst my comedy side wants him to finish 4th, has a real shot at beating one of the Mercs. Another driver who equally has this chance is Danny Ric who has responded to the Verstappen challenge fantastically. If next year really is an aero formula, and Red Bull are at the front, I can't wait for Verstappen vs Ricciardo to get tasty. Having said that Ricciardo might be a bit distracted this weekend. Apparently he went to the clinic yesterday and discovered that he has a serious foot infection and now has to ring up everyone who has drank out of his shoe and tell them to get themselves tested.

What I think everyone is probably hoping for this weekend is Sergio Perez getting a podium. I think the place would go bonkers. Its not a complete impossibility because Sergio showed last year he gets Mansell type people power round this place and he is actually in good form. Expect some kind of smart 'go long' tyre strategy from Force India. I'd also love to see Carlos Sainz repeat his performance in Austin because it was pretty much like watching your mate out drag a flashy Merc in his mums Fiat Punto. To be honest the Punto might have more horsepower than that old Ferrari engine. As always I look forward to the Fernando Alonso radio comedy hour. He gave us a Texan 'yeehar!' at the end last time out, will we get a Mexican 'Areeber!' this time out? Probably not. We'll prob just get more moaning about the car being slow. Starting his own rival angry radio show is Jolyon Palmer, who is get increasingly frustrated of outpacing KMag in quali and ending up behind him in the race. Apparently being angry with the team you want to re-sign for will solve this.

I haven't mentioned Ferrari yet because I don't really know what to say. Both drivers seem to be on fairly good form and the car seems to perform at times but somehow they always end up with a 75 place gird penalty for Vettel and Kimi rolling backwards down a hill into the pit lane. Will all this bad luck and bad tactics disappear and everything comes together for a perfect Mexican race? Probably not, but it'll be fun to see how fate/the team conspire to throw away a decent result this time.

So thats Mexico served up with sourcream and salsa dressed up in a sombrero and every other slightly offence cliche that will be probably be said by Ted Kravitz in the pitlane this weekend. I feel kind of positive about it. At least the venue looks good.

Last edited:
From Seb's point of view though he was only in that position to tangle with Ricciardo because Max had skipped a corner and backed him into him. If Vettel had been in front of Max then Danny Ric would have still come at him but we Don't know what would have happened.

Last edited:
One of the highlights of the coverage for me was Daniel Ricciardo's post race interview. Especially the moment when he almost thought the interviewer had suggested Seb had wanted to punch him.

You have to feel for Seb in one respect because Max backing him into Daniel really had the desired effect. Seb was a bit naughty in that defence though.

I wanted to see what would have happened between Daniel and Max had they have had a few laps towards the end. Would Daniel have had a good crack at getting by?

Daniel's tyres were wrecked after his Vettel avoiding lock up. you can actually see a flap of rubber hanging off the tyre on the inboard shot.

Indeed. It was more of a 'what if' ponder. Had Daniel cleared Seb sooner or got by without locking up and screwing his rubber.

Verstappen was in the wrong his own team told him to give the place up on the radio because vettel had overtaken max before he taken to the grass but he'd decided to wait for FIA which they did. The big differences for me between lewis & max is, lewis was lap 1 max 67?? Vettel was past max til his shortcut Also as i said above SC period by end of sector 1 nullifed any advantage. Although can you imagine if they penalised everything that was but before stewards. Hamilton & Rosberg for cutting, verstappen for forcing driver off track. Then with Riccardio & vettel pitting. It would be stupid. 6 of top 7 wouldve been at the back. (Yeah it wouldve made an great spectacle) & a top 3 of hulkenburg leading, kimi 2nd & massa 3rd

Yeah Vettel moved under braking but come on after what happened with max laps before. You know there was not a chance on this earth he was letting another red bull past. When he was full of adrenaline & rage at time feeling he was robbed of 3rd with conspiracy theories going around in his head. Ok the Language was out of order telling Charlie Whiting to **** off. But no one can possibly tell me, theyve never in their life got angry with emotions running high & had a rant they regret later. I have many times at the football & at work. It happens, if you didnt your either lying or boring@SkySportsF1 #askcrofty telling Charlie to **** off was out of order, but cant forget he was full of adrenaline & rage at time

Yeah Vettel moved under braking but come on after what happened with max laps before. You know there was not a chance on this earth he was letting another red bull past. When he was full of adrenaline & rage at time feeling he was robbed of 3rd with conspiracy theories going around in his head.

Dangerous moves made by a driver on "tilt" are the most dangerous kind. This, for me, was the most dangerous aspect of Max's behaviour in Spa for example. Roadrage can kill.

F1Brits_90 having watched the Ves/Vet fight at quarter speed I can see no place where Vettel is even level with the back of Verstappen's car let alone ahead. The indicator on the top left of the screen said that it did happen but that is after Verstappen is back on the circuit so I presume that it is just a lie.

It is quite clear that in both the attempted overtake on Rosberg and the defence against Vettel the same thing happens in both cases, that is the Verstappen brakes later than normal and so cannot slow down sufficiently to get round the corner without going off circuit. The TV is very helpful on the Rosberg incident because they were showing the speed info where Verstappen was 11 kph quicker than Rosberg around the corner apex. Unless he can change the laws of nature there is no way that he can stay within track limits.

I presume that this is Verstappen's natural reflex whenever he is in this position.

Yes, I can understand Vettel's frustration but a racing driver must keep himself under control or he becomes a loose cannon.

I think young Max behaved much more maturely than old Seb. we have seen questionable moves from Seb many times before of course just ask Webber. Sebastians swearing though would earned him a ban in any other sport such as football or tennis to name just 2

I think if you penalised a driver for swearing then half the field would be in the sin bin. Young Max has some very colourful language when the team won't move his team mate out the way.

Sebastians swearing though would earned him a ban in any other sport such as football or tennis to name just 2

I agree about tennis, they are very strict, but football? as I recall only a couple of bans have been handed out, and those were for racist abuse. I would add however, that football is hardly an example of how to behave correctly towards officials!!

I agree about tennis, they are very strict, but football? as I recall only a couple of bans have been handed out, and those were for racist abuse. I would add however, that football is hardly an example of how to behave correctly towards officials!!

Telling the ref to "f*ck off" in football has a high probability of resulting in a yellow or even a red card. In some rare cases even managers have been sent off the field after verbal abuse of the officials.

Not strictly on topic I know, but every week I see footballists crowding the ref, aggressively in his face remonstrating. Fairly sure that there are many swearances being uttered, both to and at the ref. I know that managers can be sent to the stands for dodgy behaviour, but I would not use football as an example or precedent on how professional sportsmen should behave towards officials. Any other sport yes, but not football.

And by the way, I firmly believe that Seb should be held to account for his outburst, there is no need for that kind of thing in F1. Swear by all means, but directional swearage especially to the race director is not on.

but I found this!!

Footballer SENT OFF for warning of 'dog s**t' on pitch in Christian league

Oh, and the rules have changed this season, to allow officials more powers to send players off for swearing, which I agree with. Although there have been several rules (10 yards for dissent) that did not really get applied consistently

Anyhoo, point stands that most (now including football, point conceded, waiting to see in action!!) would not get away with that kind of behaviour, be interesting to see what happens.

Why compare it to football at all? How is that relevant? Each sport have their own etiquette and standards of behaviour. They shouldn't use each other as any kind of standard. If we go down that road we might as well apply rugby standards to F1 while we're at it. In rugby if you do so much as raise your voice at the referee you're unlikely to play again for quite a long time...

Telling the referee to **** off in snooker LOL I bet thats not happened before. Black balled.

But yeh Seb's potty mouth not needed in the sport even if someone really did need to tell Charlie to **** off.

Back
Top Bottom