Grand Prix 2016 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I just had a look back at last years race review on Wiki. This was when the cracks started to appear between Hamilton and Rosberg as Nico accused Lewis of deliberately slowing down in the middle stint to compromise his race and then got a right sulk on telling Hamilton he only cared about himself. Wah, wah, wah. Other than the race finishing under the safety car I can't see anything else which is memorable, although Jenson Button was found to have caused an accident with Pastor Maldonado. Go figure!

On to 2016. It's hard to see past a Mercedes pole, fastest lap and race win but which car? Nico Rosberg is 2 and O for 2016 and heads the championship by 17 points from his team mate who's had a few problems at the start in the first couple of races. No bitching about your team mate so far this season eh Nico? Lewis was almost certainly faster in Bahrain but his tangle with Bottas destroyed any chance of a win. Third with a bent car was quite some achievement.

Ferrari will, of course, offer the only (semi) serious opposition to the Mercedes pair but they haven't enjoyed the best reliability with two engine failures as they push to catch up. Kimi look to have a bit of his mojo back in Bahrain. No one will know whether Vettel could have done better but I suspect not.

What else can we look forward to? Romain Grosjean should finish fourth to maintain the sequence and this means he will win in Monaco... Hass have impressed, at least in RoGro hands, as has Pascal Wehrlein at Manor. Red Bull and Williams will scrap over the minor points, although Toro Rosso (even with last years Ferrari engine) look quite racey. You have to assume they will be battling with Force India though.

At McLaren I believe Van Doom will continue in place of Alonso as he still has a hurty rib, bless. Quite a race for the Belgian, the last driver to score points in a mid-season début in F1 was Sebastian Vettel. Whatever became of him? Button will head Manor and Sauber, assuming Sauber find enough cash down the back of the sofa to get the cars to Shanghai.

Probably the biggest question for the race weekend though is what qualifying format will be used? I've no idea and I suspect that those that control (I use that term in its loosest possible sense) don't have either. Let's see what occurs when the lights go out to start Q1. My money, regardless of the format, is a Mercedes 1-2 and Ferrari 3-4. The fastest guys should start at the front, that's what happens in all forms of motorsport and forcing them further down the grid just for the sake of "the show" is bloody stupid. No matter how interesting it is to see someone coming through the field, deliberately putting them there makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, there's my two pennuth. Let's have yours.

Edit - I forgot Renault. They won't figure greatly.

Last edited:
Easily the worst Qualifying session of the year.

Watching the Chinese marshals drag a rubber mat around the circuit for 20 minutes at 3AM was not what I was looking for. And then the end of Q2 was completely compromised. Total bore-fest.

Should be a cracking GP though!

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 – 6 – N.ROSBERG – 01:35,402 – 01:35,315 – 00,087
3 – 7 – K.RAIKKONEN – 01:35,972 – 01:35,765 – 00,207
2 – 3 – D.RICCIARDO – 01:35,917 – 01:35,917 – 00,000
4 – 5 – S.VETTEL – 01:36,246 – 01:36,059 – 00,187
5 – 77 – V.BOTTAS – 01:36,296 – 01:36,296 – 00,000
6 – 26 – D.KVYAT – 01:36,399 – 01:36,360 – 00,039
8 – 55 – C.SAINZ – 01:36,881 – 01:36,534 – 00,347
7 – 11 – S.PEREZ – 01:36,865 – 01:36,801 – 00,064
9 – 33 – M.VERSTAPPEN – 01:37,194 – 01:36,965 – 00,229

I shall be there tomorrow. Grandstand K at the hairpin.
And Lewis is last on the grid! :facepalm:

Ah well, at least I'll get to see him do some overtakes, end of the straight at the hairpin is a good place for that. One a lap shall we say, on average? Should be near the front about halfway through the race then? :D:thumbsup::cheer:

If Rosberg gets a clean getaway the race is over BUT if the Ferrari's or Ricciardo can get ahead of him they might be able to make it interesting

Why is Hamilton starting at the back ? He should be starting from the pitlane to avoid trouble on the run down to 1st corner

Finally got qualifying watched after work & meal for someones birthday. Rosberg final sector was great dont know where he found 4 tenths. But what a lap from riccardio they once Montreal & this new engine will be serious contenders. Although I wouldn't want to be in the Ferrari garage as he will be fuming Mercedes leave the door wide open & they missed it

& how lovely it was to see cars going out with 2 mins to go also that chequered flag was for 1st time this season waved at drivers

Ferrari still have the advantage with the starts still (I think) with the single clutch paddle. It wasn't so apparent in Bahrain but maybe they'll have a rocket start tomorrow? Not sure if Mercedes have played catch-up already.

Rosberg needs to keep his nose clean from turns 1-6 on lap 1 today. Podium is fine for him, dnf due to despatration to win would be idiocy.

Why is Hamilton starting at the back ? He should be starting from the pitlane to avoid trouble on the run down to 1st corner
Hamilton's choice. He's chosen to start at the back to give himself more first lap overtaking opportunities. Lets hope he stays out of trouble and it pays off.

I stayed up for the race (1:00 am my time) and the first few laps have been amazing. I can't believe the strategy that Hamilton is trying-insane!

Seems like the Mercedes is very poor in traffic, unless Lewis has some other problem. He's really struggled to get through the field. Looks like he must be carrying damage the way the 2nd half of this race has gone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom