Grand Prix 2016 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I just had a look back at last years race review on Wiki. This was when the cracks started to appear between Hamilton and Rosberg as Nico accused Lewis of deliberately slowing down in the middle stint to compromise his race and then got a right sulk on telling Hamilton he only cared about himself. Wah, wah, wah. Other than the race finishing under the safety car I can't see anything else which is memorable, although Jenson Button was found to have caused an accident with Pastor Maldonado. Go figure!

On to 2016. It's hard to see past a Mercedes pole, fastest lap and race win but which car? Nico Rosberg is 2 and O for 2016 and heads the championship by 17 points from his team mate who's had a few problems at the start in the first couple of races. No bitching about your team mate so far this season eh Nico? Lewis was almost certainly faster in Bahrain but his tangle with Bottas destroyed any chance of a win. Third with a bent car was quite some achievement.

Ferrari will, of course, offer the only (semi) serious opposition to the Mercedes pair but they haven't enjoyed the best reliability with two engine failures as they push to catch up. Kimi look to have a bit of his mojo back in Bahrain. No one will know whether Vettel could have done better but I suspect not.

What else can we look forward to? Romain Grosjean should finish fourth to maintain the sequence and this means he will win in Monaco... Hass have impressed, at least in RoGro hands, as has Pascal Wehrlein at Manor. Red Bull and Williams will scrap over the minor points, although Toro Rosso (even with last years Ferrari engine) look quite racey. You have to assume they will be battling with Force India though.

At McLaren I believe Van Doom will continue in place of Alonso as he still has a hurty rib, bless. Quite a race for the Belgian, the last driver to score points in a mid-season début in F1 was Sebastian Vettel. Whatever became of him? Button will head Manor and Sauber, assuming Sauber find enough cash down the back of the sofa to get the cars to Shanghai.

Probably the biggest question for the race weekend though is what qualifying format will be used? I've no idea and I suspect that those that control (I use that term in its loosest possible sense) don't have either. Let's see what occurs when the lights go out to start Q1. My money, regardless of the format, is a Mercedes 1-2 and Ferrari 3-4. The fastest guys should start at the front, that's what happens in all forms of motorsport and forcing them further down the grid just for the sake of "the show" is bloody stupid. No matter how interesting it is to see someone coming through the field, deliberately putting them there makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, there's my two pennuth. Let's have yours.

Edit - I forgot Renault. They won't figure greatly.

Last edited:
Even if it were, Hammy's bad start was the reason he was nurfed by Valerie so he would have no one else to blame but himself.

But they do penalise for fixing things on a car, as in the penalty for fixing the gearbox, however it got damaged. So I think your criticism is justified Kewee.
It's just plain stupid to penalise teams for fixing broken cars.

It's about cost control. The reasons for the restrictions on engines and gearboxes is to stop the top teams having a qualie engine and gearbox which only does a few laps and then expires which the lesser teams simply can't afford to do.

Max Mosely made a comment once that in Senna's days at Lotus they would run a car without radiators and the engine would last 3 laps and then they would build a new car for the race. F1 can't afford to go back to the days of uncontrolled spending.

although I still dont think nico has it in the vag because if anything this is leaves the door wide open for vettel tojave his rocket start from the front row. Although might not br that simple because ive just looked at qualifying forecast & theres are 55% chance of rain between 2pm & 5pm which I find hilarious because the changeable conditions the bosses said the dreadful elimination qualifications would be good in & 1st race theyve change it fir they may conditions theyve wanted LOL

----
Given that this could be the 2nd last time that this race will be held in shanghai, I just wanted to ask the drivers if they have any particularly attachment to this track or the city in general & do they wish to see this race continue to be held in Shanghai after 2017?

is this question from the drivers press conference that ive just been watching saying that china wont be extending the deal in f1 after the 2017 deal expires or are we moving to a different place in China, because moving from shanghai sounds ludicrous why spend money on another circuit that you dont need

It's about cost control. The reasons for the restrictions on engines and gearboxes is to stop the top teams having a qualie engine and gearbox which only does a few laps and then expires which the lesser teams simply can't afford to do.

Max Mosely made a comment once that in Senna's days at Lotus they would run a car without radiators and the engine would last 3 laps and then they would build a new car for the race. F1 can't afford to go back to the days of uncontrolled spending.

Quite right, but can't the FIA act more creatively to punish the team rather than the driver in cases where no performance advantage was derived?

Even if it were, Hammy's bad start was the reason he was nurfed by Valerie so he would have no one else to blame but himself.
True FB though I thought penalties were imposed for a lack of reliability, not failures due to accidents. I'm wrong I guess. Regarding the incident with Bottas, I've said the same, Hamilton can blame all his troubles on bad starts.

Last edited:
Quite right, but can't the FIA act more creatively to punish the team rather than the driver in cases where no performance advantage was derived?
Not really, because there can and will be times that it will pay off then. For instance when the team has already wrapped up the WCC, but the WDC is undecided, then they can change engine and gearbox, without punishment for the driver. The driver will have an advantage then.

The alternative is to give them X number of engines and gearboxes (say 6 engines and 4 gearboxes) for the season and they can use them when they please. Once they are all used up then the penalties are applied.

Back
Top Bottom