Grand Prix 2016 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

There will be no doubt what will be the talk of the town in Silverstone this weekend. The latest step down the road that leads the relationship of the Mercedes drivers to complete disaster will be discussed long and hard...

What may be missed is the 20 point swing Hamilton pulled off on that last lap in the hills of Austria, reigniting the Englishman's title campaign ahead of his home Grand Prix. Rosberg must stem the momentum or face a third year as runner-up.

Who will be challenging Mercedes in case of crash, strategy mess up or poor starts? Barcelona suggests that the Red Bull boys offer the sternest test at such a circuit. Ferrari will, as ever, be hoping to challenge but this circuit has been weak by Sebastian Vettel's lofty standards over the years.

Obviously, there will be the unique challenges of Silverstone too. The cold weather and the hard tyres often reduce the grip available. There may be changable conditions; there will be lots of wind. The pit lane is practically a legalised shortcut.

Of course, the main challenges are also the main attractions. Copse. Maggots. Becketts. Abbey. Some of the motorsport world's greatest bends, all in front of a noisy and possibly partisan crowd. This is truly one of F1's sepia-tinted classics, and long may it reign.

Per Auntie: "Rosberg said: "It was a very critical problem because I was stuck in seventh gear and about to stop on track." He said he was confident what he had been told was within the rules." He needs to have kept his mouth shut like Paddy Lowe did. He's just told everyone he was about to retire until receiving instructions from the team. I think anything up to and including a DQ is now possible.

Nice to see a driver getting involved with his fans.

_90345069_hamilton.jpg

So when will we find out Nico's punishment and did we get to the bottom of whether Lewis remembered to get weighed or not?

Fair IMO, but I know lots will disagree. I have a sneaking feeling that Hamilton would not have got the same degree of help.
However his (Rosbergs) car was in no danger of stoping , unless the driver had no idea of what to do about the situation and was about to panic, which seems to sum up the situation. Is that sufficient justification for keeping him on track, only to the team I think, who wanted the points.
I remember other races and other drivers who drove almost entire races stuck in the wrong gear, they didn't get on track tuition as far as I remember, they just got on with it.

chris1981 , I think you've got a good point & the FIA have left a door open for teams now. Providing their car is more than 10s ahead at the finish they're quids in.
Bit like the Baku race it had potential to be exciting but just didn't quite manage it, tho seeing Lewis be more like a MotoGP winner with the crowds than the usual F1 reticence was good, let's hope others follow suit.
F1 fans are supposed to be intelligent, the booing was poor sportsmanship.

Last edited:
well could those points haunt Rosberg at the end of the season - 3pts as it was

At least he has been penalised because it would show the stewards are willing to punish for the infringement

If radio communication starts to get more cryptic that could get interesting

Back
Top Bottom