Grand Prix 2015 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so with the result of the Russian Grand Prix in and Hamilton taking maximum points with his team mate failing to score, the season moves from early evening into sunset as we head into the next race. Leading the championship by 66 points with 100 left to play for there is a chance that Hamilton could be packing his bags after the race and trying to find space for a World Champion Drivers trophy in among the hand luggage.

All this could take place among the stetson wearing f1 fans down there in the heart of Texas. I think it's reasonable to say that since the re-launch of the US GP at Austin just a few years ago, the race has cemented it's position as a popular track among fans and drivers. Finally, after many false starts it seems that the USA has an F1 track that lives up to the hype. That after many years of hoping that the magic of Indy would rub off (it didn't), any number of 90 degree cornered tracks would work (they didn't) or that the high rollers would really get behind a race in a car park (they didn't either).

The first corner, unlike so many in F1, actually has a number of lines that can be taken which opens up a number of overtaking options. This is followed by the down hill run of sweeping left and right handers. Carrying as much speed as possible out of turn one will ensure a great run throgh these corners. Running anti-clockwise unlike almost every other track in the season, the drivers are faced with a different physical challenge. It really looks like a track that rewards great driving.

It's no suprise to see that of the last 3 US races, Hamilton has won 2 and Vettel 1. With these two now first and second in the championship and at a track they both clearly run well at (Vettel set the first pole here in 2012) could it be possible that we may finally see an on track battle between the two? Of course, Rosberg will want to get right in there and keep is very slim hopes of the title alive.

Down the grid, there is really nice little battle between Kimi and the two Williams drivers for the 4th spot in the championship. Only 14 points seperate the 3 of them and, with Mercedes Constructors title sewn up, could it be possible that the Williams team suddenly find their engines have a little more 'umph'?

The two Dan's at Red Bull are only three points apart and with questions over the future of Red Bull they must be keen to come out on top. It's going to be a hard fight all the way with Ricciardo, who promised so much last season, finding himself behind Kvyat in a situation that few predicted at the start of the season.

Right at the back, is there enough time left in the season and enough performance in the car for McLaren to over haul Sauber and finish a mighty 8th in the Constructors? With a double points finish in Russia have they now found some realiability?

It's a rare thing these days to actually look forward to certain races. I don't know about you but I actually do look forward to the US GP. As places to win a world title go, it's a hell of a lot better than Abu Dhabi. At least Hamilton get's to spray real Champer's in the USA.

Last edited:
The Stetsons were their, Ted Kravitz got one of the Pirelli PR people to take them out of the box and tried one on. Lewis was asking where they were as well. Bowlers hats at Silverstone next year anyone?

yeah they should do more of that as it does bring a bit of fun to the podium what about pirelli tophats LOL

also i just seen some of the pictures on twitter of circuit of americas this weekend, & considering what happened last week i never thought i say that we probally had the best of the weather last week
usa 4.jpg
usa 3.jpg
usa 1.jpg

Last edited:
this is not good for Austin given the return of the Mexican Grand Prix has had a negative effect on this race itself

I suspect they will work a way to make it work in the US seeing Haas, Ferrari and potential new Manor owners to have a race in the US

the manufacturers always talk about how important having an F1 race in US . I wonder if Bernie would consider putting Austin after Canada rather than back to back with Mexico

Bernie would do most things but lowering the money is his last resort as long as he has other venues ready to host races and stump up the fee

Would not surprise me if they simply handed the slot to Qatar

Why don't they hold a race in Syria? I know Bernie isn't above accepting money from the likes of either Assad or ISIS. Or maybe he could get North Korea to put a race!

Last edited:
North Korea would put on an amazing race, it would be like a massive orderly festival with pre planned crashes, overtakes and safety cars with Kim's face covering the nose of every car.

I'm sure Assad would also time some barrel bombs for the finish to light the skies and use multicoloured chemical gas in the rebel only fan section.

The problem with holding a race in North Korea is that the pre race parade would go on for about 3 days. Each driver would be stood on top of a Chinese built tank.

And Kim would get the grand chelem, despite not competing.

With regards to this race disappearing from the calendar, it's nothing new - we've seen it many times before.

Just another casualty of Ecclestone's money grab.

yeah. It's just a bugger when it's a good track. I don't miss the likes of India and Korea but Austin is one of the good 'uns.

Back
Top Bottom