Grand Prix 2015 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so with the result of the Russian Grand Prix in and Hamilton taking maximum points with his team mate failing to score, the season moves from early evening into sunset as we head into the next race. Leading the championship by 66 points with 100 left to play for there is a chance that Hamilton could be packing his bags after the race and trying to find space for a World Champion Drivers trophy in among the hand luggage.

All this could take place among the stetson wearing f1 fans down there in the heart of Texas. I think it's reasonable to say that since the re-launch of the US GP at Austin just a few years ago, the race has cemented it's position as a popular track among fans and drivers. Finally, after many false starts it seems that the USA has an F1 track that lives up to the hype. That after many years of hoping that the magic of Indy would rub off (it didn't), any number of 90 degree cornered tracks would work (they didn't) or that the high rollers would really get behind a race in a car park (they didn't either).

The first corner, unlike so many in F1, actually has a number of lines that can be taken which opens up a number of overtaking options. This is followed by the down hill run of sweeping left and right handers. Carrying as much speed as possible out of turn one will ensure a great run throgh these corners. Running anti-clockwise unlike almost every other track in the season, the drivers are faced with a different physical challenge. It really looks like a track that rewards great driving.

It's no suprise to see that of the last 3 US races, Hamilton has won 2 and Vettel 1. With these two now first and second in the championship and at a track they both clearly run well at (Vettel set the first pole here in 2012) could it be possible that we may finally see an on track battle between the two? Of course, Rosberg will want to get right in there and keep is very slim hopes of the title alive.

Down the grid, there is really nice little battle between Kimi and the two Williams drivers for the 4th spot in the championship. Only 14 points seperate the 3 of them and, with Mercedes Constructors title sewn up, could it be possible that the Williams team suddenly find their engines have a little more 'umph'?

The two Dan's at Red Bull are only three points apart and with questions over the future of Red Bull they must be keen to come out on top. It's going to be a hard fight all the way with Ricciardo, who promised so much last season, finding himself behind Kvyat in a situation that few predicted at the start of the season.

Right at the back, is there enough time left in the season and enough performance in the car for McLaren to over haul Sauber and finish a mighty 8th in the Constructors? With a double points finish in Russia have they now found some realiability?

It's a rare thing these days to actually look forward to certain races. I don't know about you but I actually do look forward to the US GP. As places to win a world title go, it's a hell of a lot better than Abu Dhabi. At least Hamilton get's to spray real Champer's in the USA.

Last edited:
.... Did LH push or hold his line Bill Boddy.
That is immaterial, the rule states that he must leave sufficient for the other driver, which he clearl did not do. The leniency on the first lap is normally because of there being three or four cars in close proximity, there were only two and they were well clear of the field by then.
But hey you guys, there were two Hondas in the top 10 ! That has to be good.

At the line Alonso was 11th. Has Ricardo been given a penalty? The McLarens were frequently as fast or faster than those around them, were they on the same or differing levels of engines?

I think nico just annoyed with himself that he lost the title this yr & today. But it was a lottery 1st corner no running on for anyone on anything other than heavy wets. So everyone was basically pick a braking point & hope it sticks. nico so petulant lobbing the hat back as if he was playing games then was he also rubbing it in also as he handed both drivers their hats

But just over the moon for Lewis class of the field all yr & for some reason loves to put us through the mill. Because good job theres 3 races to go because if this was title decider & Lewis needed same permeations to win I dont think my nerves could taken the sheer amount of momentum swings. Theyve been shot ever seen Brazil 08 & any that survived went during JBs pursuit of vettel in Canada 2011

I really dislike the attitude of all the inconsiderate F1 fans against Rosberg. Especially this latest episode with the hat and the fact that he got booed for it!

Thank goodness for that final safety car period.

I can just imagine the reaction to Mercedes' strategy blunder if Hamilton hadn't won.

That is immaterial, the rule states that he must leave sufficient for the other driver, which he clearl did not do.

They actually don't, not when it comes to corners anyway. The rules have almost nothing to say on wheel-to-wheel racing once the drivers are in a corner, the 'rules' and guidelines that dictate what is right or wrong in these instances are completely unwritten. A driver on the inside is perfectly entitled to take his line on corner exit and push the driver on the outside wide, we have seen this happen time and time again. The problem here is that A: Rosberg was narrowly ahead and B: Hamilton did not squeeze him wide, he hit him.

I really dislike the attitude of all the inconsiderate F1 fans against Rosberg. Especially this latest episode with the hat and the fact that he got booed for it!

You're kidding right? I have nothing against the guy but Rosberg has acted and continues to act like a scalded brat. He deserves all the derision he gets. Sure, you don't have to enjoy your own defeat but to act like that in front of the cameras has done nothing but harm his reputation. He's fast becoming the new Barichello, Massa or Webber of this era without the team ordering him, which is probably worse.

Last edited:
If you look at Rosberg's action he's beginning to think the forces are against him and believes the team is against him by suggestion it is TeamLH.

If you look at his twitter post he started labelling TeamNR compared to other drivers who have congratulated Hamilton

He's almost broke.. I go back to that being a Dad might coincide with a dip in form but he's also met Hamilton at his peak now

^Indeed, and it will become increasingly TeamLH if Nico keeps it up - seeing the way Paddy Lowe looked at Nico after he threw the cap and sat like a petulant child was very telling. His behaviour on the podium after a Mercedes 1-2 will only have damaged him further too.

You're kidding right? I have nothing against the guy but Rosberg has acted and continues to act like a scalded brat. He deserves all the derision he gets. Sure, you don't have to enjoy your own defeat but to act like that in front of the cameras has done nothing but harm his reputation. He's fast becoming the new Barichello, Massa or Webber of this era without the team to ordering him so, which is probably worse.

^Indeed, and it will become increasingly TeamLH if Nico keeps it up - seeing the way Paddy Lowe looked at Nico after he threw the cap and sat like a petulant child was very telling. His behaviour on the podium after a Mercedes 1-2 will only have damaged him further too.

Lewis was elated, emotional and adrenalin filled, Nico was deflated, mad at himself, mad at Lewis and mad at the World. Both their actions and reactions were those of people who have emotions and care about what they are doing. Neither should be berated or need to make excuses for their behaviour. I go into the garden and take photos of Beetles and Bees and after a good session my pulse is racing, my emotions are high and behaviour unpredictable and decidedly odd. Adrenalin or the sudden absence of it does that to you.

Whilst we can't condone Nico's attitude it is always difficult within a team when one guy is elated and the other deflated at the same time. It was also a sign of weakness from Nico who said Lewis would find it hard to break him before.

I think Nico has finally cracked and knows his chances of beating Lewis are getting slimmer every race

I don't envisage Nico moving to another team because he simply will not get a better car in to be world champion

Last edited:
Lewis would act just as bad if not worse than Nico if he had lost the championship. He gets upset when he doesn't get pole. The vibe on here would be different if Hamilton got booed for his actions.

Some of the things Lewis did in the past were stupid. If people want to criticise for Monaco then can I ask what he did wrong given he controlled the race from the front and then was called in for an unnecessary pit stop

Back
Top Bottom