Grand Prix 2015 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

дравствуйте товарищи!

No longer the new kid on the block, the Russian GP is now an established race at the end of a championship that seems to go on and on. This year the highlight of the race is Aussi artist Natalie Imbruglia which along with Diskoteca Avariya and DJ Legran will try to bring some joy to the Motorsport aficionados. If 2014 was anything to go by, there is little to hope for the race that takes place is warm-for-russia Sochi. It really is a reflection of what’s been going on lately with the sport. We seem to have seamlessly gone from a Red Bull/Vettel domination in early 2000s to the rule of Mercedes/Hamilton, with the difference that Hamilton has really little opposition and it’s not a matter of if but when will he clinch the championship.

14 races into the championship and we are more or less at the same place we were a year ago with Lewis Hamilton in front and Nico Rosberg a little further back. This year Ferrari is playing catch up with Vettel breathing on Mercedes neck, the same way Riccardo did last year. It may be not everybody’s opinion but so far the season has been little more than boredom all the way, unless you are a Hamilton hard core fan that is.

Pirelli will bring the super-softs in an attempt to spice things up but probably that’s only going to make Mercedes life easier and you’ll know after the first lap what the final classification is going to be. FIA bosses have tried to change the sport to improve the TV audiences and interest in F1 in general, with little success. And while the real fans keep coming back for more, we all know it’s going to be little bit more than a Mercedes parade.

Drama seems to be unfolding actually outside the track; will Red Bull retire from the sport? Is Renault coming back with the works team? Are both Button and Alonso so disappointed by their “GP2” power units that they are ready to hang their helmets and head to greener pastures? Is Kvyat finally going to get his maiden win? Who’s Haas fielding for next year?

If you ask me, F1 can borrow a page or two from Indy Carts (sans the accidents); after all the race finale couldn't have been any more thrilling with 4 drivers still with option to win. If you take the incredible speed and bravado of Hamilton, Vettel’s car control, Button precision, Alonso’s intelligence, Riccardo’s smile and a bunch of kinds that are just old enough to have a drink fighting for the coveted spot of “the best new thing in town” and put them in those monstrosities that Indy officials call cars, people would tune in, for sure. But that’s topic for a different thread.

For the time being, let us relax, drink a little Vodka and continue to hope for the impossible; one interesting race …

One of the F1 journalists I follow on twitter, Adam Cooper, did tweet that there's no mention of the 2016 race on Canadaian F1 website (whatever that is) and suggested the possibility of it being twinned with Baku as apparently there has been some rumours of that. Seeing as the FIA claim the calendar is now final, that seems unlikely. It certainly wouldn't be popular!

Thats interesting because Montreal and the same organisers who run the F1 race were all signed up to do a Formula E race. The race was expected by many to be on this years Formula E calendar but all of sudden it was announced that it would probably be in the third season. The same thing happened with the race at Mexico City. The rumors flying around were that Mr Ecclestone was none to happy about them signing up for races with another series and basically said as much which made them delay committing to hosting races in fear of losing their spots on the F1 calendar.

Could be the Canada debate is still going on. The Formula E race there is suppose go ahead in winter 2016. The Mexican race by the way was actually listed as being on the Fomula E calendar on one of the teams merchandise before being quickly withdrawn. There is now a big TBA on the spot where it would have been and no talk of Mexico at all.

What happens if "The West" has declared war on Russia by the weekend ? Or if Russia has declared war on the West for that matter, will the race go ahead as planned?
:D
Wong thread, sorry.

Last edited:
Wong thread, sorry.

Meant for the Chinese GP thread Titch. I'll get me coat...

Meanwhile, Kimi thinks this year will be different to last

“Last year, this circuit offered the combination of a brand new tarmac and different tire compounds from what we use this year. We found out that it could be difficult to make tires work, but on the other hand, they tended to last for very long time. This year we have Soft and Super Soft compounds, but this does not mean there are many similarities to Singapore. In fact, many things are different. The asphalt here is no longer new and tires are different as I said, so we’ll have to wait and see. Using a soft rubber does not necessarily give us bigger chances, but we’ll try our best. There are so many little details which can make big differences to the global picture. Overtaking here is not easy and that may put a premium on qualifying but in general, at least for us, when you come to a set-up that makes the car quick on a single lap, it will also be quick on race trim”.

Russian Gran Prix - “So different from last year”

Very bizarre sessions in FP1 and 2. FP1, the track covered in some sort of lubricant which meant the track had to be washed. FP2, half the track was soaked, the other half slightly damp. The teams have probably learned sod all so it might make qualie a bit more interesting.

MSNBC must have had a field day by finally being able to correctly use the old adage "Did you know that it can be raining on one half of the track, and be dry on the other?"

They use it at every race. Infuriating.

1st of all delighted sainz is ok because I found about his concerning accident through twitter (as FP3 usually clashes with soccer am on other side) but is going to make qualifying & race very interesting after only 1/2 hr of proper running so drivers team might have time just for set up but they'll be going into the unknown with qualifying & tyre simulations which should be interesting maybe mix up the grid

Also a good fact I found out yesterday which i guess shows the size of russia all the focus will be on kyvat this weekend as its his home race but his home town of ufa is 1711km from the sochi olympic park which to put in perspective hamilton or button couldve technically called the Italian GP there home race because ufa to sochi is same distance as manchester to naples (yeah i know hamilton & button are from stevenage, frome respectively :D)

Bloody F1 meaning no GP3. Thats the most exciting title race we have left.

Glad Sainz is ok. Doubt he'll race this weekend though.

More im seeing on twitter with pictures about sainz's accident the more im amazed & relieved he's got out okay as they are concerning. I know gary Anderson ex bbcf1 has said "you don't have to be a brain surgeon to realise this was always going to happen with low noses * in his opinion a nose-height at the wheel centre-line would be the best compromise for car-to-car impact v 'submarining

IMG_20151010_113050.jpg
IMG_20151010_113502.jpg
IMG_20151010_114034.jpg

I can't see him racing tomorrow. That was a massive impact. It just wouldn't be sensible to take a risk with his health. I suspect the reserve driver Pierre Gasly will get a call up.

Which means starting from the back of the grid or the pit lane having had no practice time. Not ideal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom